brakes vs brakeless

Related:
Create New Tag

3/29/2013 2:47 PM

I ride brakes, I'll probably experiment with brakeless, but for now it is brakes, because I for one love doing pogos and skids. Hate on a nigga. I also prefer not to be hit by cars in an out of control fly into a street. I do like the idea of no pussying out once you've started something, however. Brakes definitely allow you to hold yourself back.

|

3/29/2013 4:42 PM

i love how like 90% of commenters are brakeless.

the way i see it if i need to use a brake to balance in a manual, why, when you can just get better at balancing BETTER YOURSELF PEOPLE!

i remember when i first learnt how to 180 and a local douchebag with a shite sponsor and everyone rips him for his shit flow, makes everything look like shit, same tricks, flairs and whips. He genuinley said to me how the fuck can you turn out of a 180 without a brake?

For trails though i dont care you need to control speed

|

Go get some pegs you fucking Ramp Monkey

3/29/2013 4:45 PM

Been riding brakeless for donkeys years, Ive messed around with pretty much every brake set up there is. I just prefer riding brakeless, im more of a tech kinda guy, love the feeling of flowing around & i feel so much more in control of my bike, Almost becoming part of it.

|

3/30/2013 4:11 AM

Topsey wrote:

Been riding brakeless for donkeys years, Ive messed around with pretty much every brake set up there is. I just prefer riding ...more

THIS

|

Bruh

3/31/2013 6:30 PM

took my brakes off!!!

|

love bmx!!!!

3/31/2013 6:32 PM

spencer.klymchuk wrote:

took my brakes off!!!

That's nice.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

3/31/2013 6:33 PM

i sharted, is that nice?

|

Jade Bike Check
Refs : ninjacat33 ; SuperstarDk ; ecuadevil ; xbikeascammer ;blizzbikes ; tcbmx ; mattjmuldoon@hotmail ;bmx ; Uoykcuf ; BrokenBmx, the balt; Pavimo; bmx-junkie; Fit.Team.Rider' tito24; trentydoo; brendan.magner.9 ;Scramhype ; Jonathan.Vargas ; jared42069; tomdon ; lifeofridden2200; howlerfbm

3/31/2013 7:43 PM

dream wrote:

i sharted, is that nice?

absolutely.

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

3/31/2013 7:45 PM

If you have brakes then you have brakes. If you do not have brakes you don't.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

3/31/2013 8:12 PM

Mikel8149 wrote:

If you have brakes then you have brakes. If you do not have brakes you don't.

no shit

|

love bmx!!!!

3/31/2013 11:49 PM

dream wrote:

i sharted, is that nice?

What's "sharting" and why did you shart?

|

4/1/2013 12:09 AM

I ride Both Brakes. But it is all personal preference. I don't care if you ride Brakes or No Brakes. I honestly think people who slag off other peoples choices are really shitty. Whether you ride Both Brakes or None or anything inbetween, 4 Pegs or none or anything inbetween, a High or Low Seat, Short or Long Cranks, 23-9 or 25-10 or 31-10 or 30-9 or anything else, Park, Street, Dirt, Flatland, Vert, Racing or a mixture, Metal or Plastic Pedals, we are all BMXers. People may call Park Riders gay or High Seats gay, but they are just having fun, and in the same Sport as you. Any proper Rider should respect other Riders as they respect them.

|

4/1/2013 3:50 AM

BMX_Forever wrote:

I ride Both Brakes. But it is all personal preference. I don't care if you ride Brakes or No Brakes. I honestly think people ...more

exactly its annoying when people hate on other riders. some dude where i was ridin last week was like "oh you're seat isnt slammed, i take it you like dick then" well thats just stupid, he is riding and doing it how he wants to.

|

Bruh

4/1/2013 5:31 AM

i like brakeless i feel more free , but i wish i had a front brake , i would never use it to slow down but i would use it when i fakie to control my speed

|

4/1/2013 7:10 PM

dream wrote:

i sharted, is that nice?

Still waiting to know what a "shart" is and why you "sharted"?

|

4/2/2013 1:05 AM

dream wrote:

i sharted, is that nice?

sunny.jomofo wrote:

A shart is a shit-fart or wet fart.. like you think it's just a fart coming out, then you feel all squishy in your naughty place..

|

Stupidity, outrage, vanity, cruelty, iniquity, bad faith, falsehood - we fail to see the whole array when it is facing in the same direction as we.
-- Jean Rostand

4/2/2013 6:47 AM

FRONT BRAKES!!!! WOOOO

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/2/2013 7:04 AM

Gyro.......YEAH!!!
Now let's abandon this thread to see if someone digs it up again in a year or so. Besides that note, you don't have to be brakeless to not use your brakes, but that's a very obvious and unnessicary statement to begin with..............I'm stupid. :c

|

The winners guide to tricks: Tuck-it, huck-it, or fuck-it!

My music:http://fxaudiorage.bandcamp.com/

4/2/2013 9:56 AM

dream wrote:

i sharted, is that nice?

sunny.jomofo wrote:

Jèff_Béckförd wrote:

A shart is a shit-fart or wet fart.. like you think it's just a fart coming out, then you feel all squishy in your naughty ...more

Lol and why did dream shart?

|

4/2/2013 10:24 AM

sunny.jomofo wrote:

Jèff_Béckförd wrote:

A shart is a shit-fart or wet fart.. like you think it's just a fart coming out, then you feel all squishy in your naughty ...more

sunny.jomofo wrote:

Lol and why did dream shart?

Cause he can.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

4/2/2013 11:57 AM

for the lols is why he sharted

|

Bruh

4/2/2013 7:31 PM

Lol. Dream why did you shart?

|

4/2/2013 8:29 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

FRONT BRAKES!!!! WOOOO

YES!

|

4/2/2013 9:07 PM

Brakes.

|

4/3/2013 1:19 PM

Love the reason for running brakeless being "my bike is lighter without brakes" how much does a back brake weigh along with the lever? maybe 150 grams? hahaha pathetic

|

5/24/2013 7:16 AM

I think this all depends on several factors.

We live on top of the highest point in the area - all roads are downhill and step from our house. So steep that it is not a viable area to even learn to ride on. I took my kids down to the school where it is mostly flat.

I am sure some pro could zip down with no break regardless but the fact is most kids riding around are not pros. I would also bet that if I duct tape your feet to the pedal and hands to the handlebars - you would finish the ride down my hill in severe pain.

Hence the problem you are getting kids to take off their brakes in an attempt to look cool - when they have not mastered the skill of being able to stop without them . I have seen three kids slam into a car - and no the car did not hit them - they hit the car as the car had brakes and had already come to a stop. Two of those time it was because they had no brakes and could not stop in time. The third was my 6 year old who just got his new bike with rear only hand brakes - Those brakes were just too weak for him to stop which is a concern on most of the BMX bikes I have seen.; They come with rear only brakes and the brakes suck! The Rims are too slick and painted and at best make a slow stop rather than a quick skid stop. His bike also had a gyro on it - and although they look cool they do not have the same stopping power as a one piece cable.

What is cool is always a moving target- likely in a few years the cool thing will be to have disc brakes on your BMX ..

My kids are more interested in racing them around rather then doing stunts on them so the gyro really is not necessary for them.

By the way - if your city wanted to make money they could likely seize your bike with no brakes - fix them and re-sale them at auction. now that would be cool huh? smile

|

5/24/2013 10:00 AM

( don't flame for bringing back the topic just deal with it)^ well, it depends on how you ride really, i rarely use my bike for transport so i took the brakes off, however I didn't until i assured myself that i can stop efficiently. And also, disc brakes on a bmx would be silly in my opinion. They are heavy and yes they stop you quicker, but my rear brake could stop me from about 30 to 0 in about 20 meters. "By the way - if your city wanted to make money they could likely seize your bike with no brakes - fix them and re-sale them at auction. now that would be cool huh? " That is a stupid idea as it is basically stealing the bike, which isn't fair at all if the person was a decent rider. If they were a beginner then they could seize it, install brakes then give it back. \but if councils were like that then they would do it to everyone and the people who can actually stop with brakes which would piss them off.

That is just what i think.

|

Bruh

5/24/2013 10:38 AM

charlesinCT wrote:

I think this all depends on several factors.

We live on top of the highest point in the area - all roads are downhill and ...more

I actually ride with both Brakes, but I disagree with you on some factors. Also, I hope your child is OK.

Almost all completes nowadays come with a Straight Cable, not a Gyro. And Gyros allow for a considerable amount of adjustment, so they can be very powerful. And almost all completes come with a 990 Brake on the rear, and a Caliper Brake on the front. Infact in the UK every brand new bike has to come with two functioning Brakes. I guarantee that as your son's Bike came with a Gyro it will of been designed to be ran with a rear Brake, meaning it will of have a 990 Brake, or a V-Brake if it was a cheap Bike. In the case of going down hills, a V-Brake would of been even better, and a 990 Brake is more than enough, as long as it is adjusted properly. Was it adjusted properly? If it was genuinely not strong enough to stop the Bike, then there was something wrong with it. Maybe the springs were broken? Maybe the Pads were worn? Maybe the Pads were too spaced out to even hit the rim? How much tread was on the rear Tyre?

For me, a Back Brake is safe enough. No Brakes at all, however, I do agree is unsafe, especially for bombing down hills.

The problem you mentioned with the rim being too slick is problem with the Bike, and not BMX Bikes in general; There is no trend for smooth finishes on rims, and every rim I've seen, other than strictly Brakeless only Aero Rims, have an appropriate Braking surface.

And Disc Brakes will never be popular in BMX for the following reasons:
In a sport which involves your feet moving around a lot and a lot of falling off, a Sharp, potentially Hot Disc is not a good idea
BMXers want to use their Brakes lightly if needs be, otherwise riders will end up stopping instead of slowing down in the middle of a run, their Front Wheel will fall on manuals instead of being a better controlled Manual, and in the case of Front Brake tricks, just end up going over the Bars.
Too expensive; most BMXers are teenagers without jobs
Too complicated; some people don't ride with Brakes because they don't know how to fix them, and Disc Brakes are a lot more complicated
Too heavy; BMXing involves you lifting up the Bike a lot, so extra weight wont exactly be helpful
Unnecessary; Mountain Bikers need Disc Brakes because they go very fast, where there is a lot of sharp corners, obstacles, and trees. Road Bikers use Brakes similar to those on a BMX Bike.

|

5/24/2013 11:49 AM

I like both depending on what I'm riding but tbh without brakes it looked clean you ride smoother and you never pussy put of shit

|

Whatever you do, make sure you and the people you love are happy.
Whatever you do, make sure you enjoy life.
Whatever you do, make sure you never have any regrets.

5/24/2013 11:59 AM

One thing i like about being brakeless is there is no pussing out, All you can do is the odd little speed check or you are gunna have to slam your feet into the floor & hope to god you stop before whatevers in front of you OR go big or go home style!

|