building quarter pipe?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/20/2017 8:38 AM

Any ideas on how to build a quarter pipe? not sure what the average height is but dont want it to small.never really built any thing like that but i want one so i can ride at home.

|

1/20/2017 8:48 AM

Go to your local skatepark (if you have one) and find a quarter or something that feels good to air out of, and then figure out the height, slope, etc. of it. Then you could build your quarter pipe to feel like something that you know you like riding.

|

1/20/2017 9:21 AM

Sounds like a good idea but my town claims they CANT AFFORD one so that really sucks but thres one about an hour away that ill have to go check. Thanxs

|

1/20/2017 9:27 AM

ina wrote:

Sounds like a good idea but my town claims they CANT AFFORD one so that really sucks but thres one about an hour away that ill ...more

take a big piece of cardboard with you to trace the design of the quarter from the side so you can use it like a template

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

1/20/2017 12:32 PM

I've built(or helped build)quite a few quarters and minis. They were skate ramps but other than a slightly larger transition I don't think there'd be much difference. Anyway for a bike you probably want to make it 3 or 4 feet high at least, probably 4.

I was going to explain a bunch of stuff about the radius etc but this guy has already done that and more:

http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/general-bmx-talk,2/how-to-build-a-quarterpipe,438418

I would use masonite as a surface outside though. It lasts a long time if you tarp your ramp up(keeping the tarp from touching the surface - stretch it out over some saw horses or random junk).

|

1/20/2017 12:37 PM

ina wrote:

Sounds like a good idea but my town claims they CANT AFFORD one so that really sucks but thres one about an hour away that ill ...more

Every town that's been asked to build a skatepark ever says they can't afford it. That doesn't mean you can't start a group and start fundraising. That's how most of the parks I seen built happen. Skaters and bikers raise money and draw attention to the need and eventually the city gets involved along with local corporate sponsors. There's a park being built in Cumberland this coming spring and that's how it got done. It will be frustrating at first but it's worth it in the end.

|

1/20/2017 1:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/20/2017 1:05 PM

These Thrasher ramp plans are for an old school half pipe.

But, the principle of cutting the radius and doing the rib bracing on page 4 and 5 is still exactly the same. You can learn a ton from these plans.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

1/20/2017 1:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/20/2017 1:15 PM

ina wrote:

Any ideas on how to build a quarter pipe? not sure what the average height is but dont want it to small.never really built any ...more

And . . . to answer your question. For BMX, if you want a quarter to do lip tricks on, you can go with 4 feet tall. But, if you want to air out of it, you really need to go with 6.

It's very common to have 6 feet tall with an 8 foot radius.

I personally like 7 feet tall with a 9 foot foot radius. Yes, it's taller, but because it's also a little mellower, there's also more wheelbase to land on.

I'm not certain what the T1 ramp dimensions were..... but I would guess the part he is airing on is between 6 and 7 feet tall with between an 8' and 9' radius.

http://www.snakebitebmx.com/the-ryan-corrigan-interview-2/

Photo

|

1/20/2017 1:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/20/2017 1:25 PM

Sorry if this is Too Much Information . . . . but another way to think about Radius and transition size is to look at "degrees of arc."

[LINK TO IMAGE]

If a ramp is 8 foot tall with 8 foot radius, that means it goes all the way to vert, to 90 degrees in other words.

If you take that same ramp, and start chopping the height down, then the degrees of arc decreases and the transition gets mellower.

Because a bike has a longer wheelbase than a skateboard, having a 4 foot tall ramp that goes all the way up to 80 degrees of arc is skatable, but really sucks for a bike.

The most common mistake of beginner BMX quarter pipe builders is building a 4 foot ramp because they want it to be easier and less scary (or less wood), but then they also want it to be steep to be cool. It will end up sucking. The only way to go steep is to go tall. 8 foot radius, cut off at 7 feet tall. Even though it's big, it's actually easier to ride than a short steep ramp. Or if it you definitely want it to be only 4 or 5 feet tall, then it's fine to for it to still have an 8 foot radius and be mellower. You can still do a lot of tricks on it.

Good luck!

|

1/20/2017 2:03 PM

I had this in my backyard for a bit.

4 feet tall with a 5 or so foot radius. Super tight and sucked to air. but was awesome for lip tricks.
The deck was a foot lower than the top so we could do 'over' peg tricks.

We used the 'slant wall' thing for tail taps and a sub box. Was a great little set up that we could change around.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

1/20/2017 2:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/20/2017 2:20 PM

PNJ, that's a really good point. Yeah, if you want to do lip tricks that involve pegs stalling, like in your photo, then absolutely, the ramp does need to be steep (even if short).

For other lip tricks, like a 540 tire tap . . . the ramp could be mellow.

And then there are some riders who get really good at doing airs out of short steep transitions. (But it's not easy!)

|

1/20/2017 2:17 PM

ina wrote:

They probably can't. Go to them and ask HOW YOU CAN HELP MAKE IT HAPPEN instead of "you should build a park for us".

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/20/2017 2:32 PM

|

1/21/2017 11:22 AM

they all sound like good ideas. thnx for all the info

|

1/21/2017 12:53 PM

ina wrote:

Any ideas on how to build a quarter pipe? not sure what the average height is but dont want it to small.never really built any ...more

Adam Lz has a decent video on ramp building. Look him up.

|

1/22/2017 7:26 AM

might be showing my age here...but the "sabre saw" refereed to in the Thrasher article is now usually called a Jig Saw. So it's a Jig saw you need to cut the curves. Also, not a reciprocating saw; you would need to be pretty damn good with a rec saw to make a proper curve smile.

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

1/22/2017 8:41 AM

Here is a great site for figuring out the radius. Also lots of tips

http://www.xtremeskater.com/ramp-plans/ramp-tool/

|

1/23/2017 7:28 AM

hit up www.facebook.com/rydanrampco or @rydanrampco on instagram if you need a ramp built!

|