business idea

Related:
Create New Tag

12/18/2008 9:23 AM

okay so i've been thinking about this for a while now and want to do it in a year or two.

I want to set up an action sports shop that includes everything in it from bmx to wakeboarding and everything in between. Thoughts? Ideas for success? Has anyone ever ventured into entreprenuership before?

|

BMX riding Cop... Let that sink in for a minute.

12/18/2008 9:26 AM

Start by calling companies of product you would sell, or their distributors, they'll tell you where there are shops in your area, and may even suggest a location for a shop.

|

12/18/2008 11:55 AM

well how the economy is going it might not be such a good idea. might want to wait longer til the economy bounces back.

|

12/18/2008 3:40 PM

thats a really nice idea. i was thinkin about it too and really wanted to start a buisness on bmx/skate. but investing all that money is gonna be really really expensive because you have to rent the place, order shipments and pay wages all that stuff. but because your selling all that extreme sport stuff your definitly gonna attract alot more customers. and location is important for alot of reasons! you should go for it only if the area seems to accept the idea of having an all around extreme sports shop.put up flyers at skateparks and phone poles, and when people go by there there gonna see "hey, a new sports shop just opened" and even if that might not be useful at the moment, they will remember it and possibly go there for something or reccomend your store to one of their friends. and word of mouth is always the best way to advertise things. and like the holidays and stuff people are gonna be comin in left and right, parents lookin for the iconic first bike, or the skaters lookin for a new deck, and so on, i think that your idea is gonna be sucessful if you know what to do. i would take a class on entrepenuership before then,(if you havnt already) look for some investors, secure employees and a location as close to the sports scene as you can. but at first its always gonna be rocky, but one will come to your shop, word of mouth and all those other forms of advertising will create more and more customers and then things may work out in the end. its an awesome idea and you should go for it, but if you dont know what your doing, then learn how to and try to make things as smooth as possible. i hope this was any help at all, maybe it confused you, idk, but its a good idea and you should move on the oppritunity before it goes away. oh and btw, tell me how it goes if you do decide to do it, cuz i go on ridin trips down in cary and over in greenville alot and i got family down there. yeah just tell me where your at and i might come for a visit haha

|

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
eat the haters.

12/18/2008 5:33 PM

From someone who has tried.. It is not cheap... make sure you make a buisness plan, and you need to do feasability studies in the area which you want to open ( im sure the bank will tell you the rest of what you need).. Im my experience everyone wants to order from mailorder, and as a local shop its hard to compete with them as they buy in such huge quantities sometimes you will see that they are selling stuff cheaper than you can buy it for. And the fact of people supporting a local shop just to have it around is long gone.. everyone wants a shop around but expects dans comp prices and it cant be done if you have huge overhead, and in this industry Insurance is a killer too.. If you go you need to go big to compete.. 100K isnt even gonna get you close, so in all reality for what it sounds you have planned you will need well over 200K just to open the doors.. But If you do good luck.. Taking a chance could pay off!

|

12/18/2008 6:19 PM

umm you would have to live somewhere where you could perform all those sports in a year but where could you surf and snowboard then wakeboard and hangglide

|

"If your not falling...then your not trying"
"Streets is Callin'"
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

12/18/2008 6:23 PM

SteveAM wrote:

umm you would have to live somewhere where you could perform all those sports in a year but where could you surf and snowboard then wakeboard and hangglide

NC is like that, i've got friends that live here in the center of the state that surf all the time, its only a two hour drive to the beach and a 3 hour drive to the mountains so theres a good mix of all the sports here in central NC

|

BMX riding Cop... Let that sink in for a minute.

12/18/2008 6:32 PM

same with cali.

|