buying my boy his first bmx

Related:
Create New Tag

9/25/2012 3:58 PM

Hi, this is my first post and probably one you have seen a million times.

My wee boy (8yo) has just started to show a interest in the skate park, hes had a wee pro scooter that he loves and takes down there whenever he can. For the first time in his life tho he has asked if i could get him a bmx, now thankfully hes not a boy that ever really asks for anything and with this being the case i would really like to get him a really good bmx.

So my question is what are the really good bmx makes/bikes these days (showing my age) when i was young mongoose was a good make or so i thought.

Thanks for any advice

BA

|

9/25/2012 4:05 PM

get him a mid to high end haro. or A We the people, verde.

|

9/25/2012 4:05 PM

mongoose has been making some decent bmx bikes, but i would go for a fit, wtp, or united. there are many brands to pick from, but for a nice bike its going to be 300-500$. i wouldn't get him an "okay" bike if you think hes going to get into it, parts will break and bend much faster and it ends up costing even more to replace them. check out DansComp or Albes and take a look at there bikes.

|

9/25/2012 4:06 PM

Well if I was you, being his first bike, you want one that will last long but is not way up in the $1000 range, so I would look at the 2013 Haros. Haros are known to be strong and long lasting. All of their models are made good etc.

One thing you will find will pop up after a while is the weight, now the 2013s are a bit lighter than most of the 2012s but they are still a bit heavy. Overtime you will replace parts no matter what and by the he even needs to start worrying about weight, the bike will weigh 22.5lbs and only have the frame being stock, so no need to worry about that.

If you want to pick up a higher end model you would look at sunday! bikes. They make a range of 16 and 18 inch bikes I believe which would be the right size for an 8 year old (my guess), and it is made high quality also. My best suggestion now would be to just take him to a local bike shop, and ask the salesman there. If the guy actually wants a sale that won't come back and bite him, he will point you in the right direction based on his height, age, and your price range.

|

9/25/2012 4:10 PM

Well how tall is he and how fast is he growing?

|

RIP 71 N
RIP Randy Taylor

Shadow/Subrosa

Tumblr | Instagram | Digits - (407) 655-6998 | Email - kyzem.leahcim@yahoo.com | Xbox - eleswun

9/25/2012 4:12 PM

get one of the we the people 18inch bikes

|

9/25/2012 4:45 PM

Thanks for getting back to me so quick, ill take his measurements tomorrow as im working nightshift just now.

haro and we are the people is what i was thinking after looking on the net, but its good to here from people like yourselves what you think :-)

|

9/25/2012 4:46 PM

kids size? youre going to have to replace most of the parts as he gets more aggressive and bigger, so start with a decent ride for his size, and go from there. remember, hes still growing. wtp, verde, etc.

|

9/25/2012 4:48 PM

subrosa. or kink.

|

9/25/2012 4:57 PM

BmxNinja101 wrote:

subrosa. or kink.

I feel bad for you.

|

9/25/2012 5:08 PM

EffWoodPushers wrote:

I feel bad for you.

Lol, this kid..

|

9/25/2012 5:18 PM

Id probably get him a Fit complete with a 20" Top tube, their lowest end bikes have sealed hubs and bottom brackets which is a plus. The fit dugan 1 or Fit Benny 1 would be a good bike. Most of the time i'd say try and get full chromoly but most of the smaller completes have some hi-tensile steel in them.

|

9/25/2012 6:24 PM

GET HIM A CULT 18in hell love it

|

Premium Products. BTM dream bike. Trans red.

9/25/2012 6:51 PM

Looking more into it i definately think my boy will be looking for an 18inch frame, now i just need to decide what one to go for.

Thanks again.

|

9/25/2012 6:51 PM

i bought my son his first good bmx last year and he is 8 as well and i think 16in is perfect size to start try looking at fit,wtp,cult, and i think kink all carry great 16in bmx only down fall is they will need a bigger bike by the time thier 10-11yrs old i went with the fit great bike and my son cant stay off it

|

Yo were your teeth at

9/25/2012 6:58 PM

this little kid at my skatepark goes there and he has this . its a GREAT bike to start on. i know its a little pricey buthe can prob ride it untill he is like 11. this kid is like 10 and he is killin it!

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Email: benignimatt@gmail.com
Xbox GT: CreeD Viibez

9/25/2012 6:59 PM

fit would be a good choice

|

9/25/2012 7:06 PM

Get like a 20.25". Trust me, he'll grow a ton if he grows like the average. And for the bike, try to get sealed parts and the weight to be around 26 pounds. The high-tensile steel won't matter too much, cause I assume he's not gonna be dropping a ten set anytime soon within a year or two if he's starting out.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

9/25/2012 7:31 PM

Im from scotland so the site im looking to buy from is winstanleysbmx.com, if you get a chance to check it out id appreciate uour feed back as there are alot of bikes on sale but im not sure what you think about 2012 models against 2013 etc. thankfully it has most of the models you have all mentioned.

|

9/25/2012 8:34 PM

Only difference between 2012 and 2013 on most bikes is trends, fat seats and gyros are kind of coming back so thats a lot of the difference, strength wise etc, its mostly the same.

Here are some bikes to look at from the site you listed.

WTP Arcade 18"

Fit PK 18" - Sick bike IMO.

Those are 18" now some 20".

Fit Aitken 1 20"

Fit BF 1 20"

Kso, the only difference between BF1 and Aitken 1 that is noticeable, the side the sprocket is on. Get him on a bike and tell him to pedal around, any bike will do, if he puts his left foot forward, get him the BF because he will grind left side and spin right eventually. If his right foot is forward get the Aitken because he will grind right spin left eventually, the reason for the sprocket being on either side is to protect it and the chain from grinding. If you plan to keep the bike for a while, this WILL matter.

|

9/25/2012 9:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/25/2012 9:42 PM

Cult Juvenile 16" is supposed to be pretty legit and it's only $350.
25t / 9t gearing
Fully sealed rear hub
Cult chain
Dehart Juvi Grips

http://www.albes.com/cult-juvenile-16-inch-bike-1.aspx

|

9/25/2012 9:41 PM

sbc785 wrote:

Cult Juvenile 16" is supposed to be pretty legit and it's only $350.
25t / 9t gearing
Fully sealed rear hub
Cult chain
Dehart Juvi Grips

http://www.albes.com/cult-juvenile-16-inch-bike-1.aspx

Sbc go make and entertaining thread. Vitals kinda dead right now and I have no ideas for a thread.

|

" When life gives you lemons, take out your dick and swing it around your head like a cowboy "

- BmxKitten

9/25/2012 9:44 PM

bro i'm about to pop some Xanax and smoke a bowl, i'll think of something entertaining to do unless i pass out

|

9/25/2012 10:00 PM

sbc785 wrote:

bro i'm about to pop some Xanax and smoke a bowl, i'll think of something entertaining to do unless i pass out

XD lol

|

" When life gives you lemons, take out your dick and swing it around your head like a cowboy "

- BmxKitten

9/25/2012 10:06 PM

i'm trolling some kids over in the Off-Topic forum who got all pussy hurt because i said football was gay and since i race motocross that i'm automatically more bad ass than any football player currently on any team roster...it's keeping me entertained for now.

|

9/25/2012 11:19 PM

Just finished my nightshift and would just like to really thank everyone that has posted. So glad I joined and posted as your info has been much appreciated :-).

|

9/26/2012 2:37 AM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Get like a 20.25". Trust me, he'll grow a ton if he grows like the average. And for the bike, try to get sealed parts and the weight to be around 26 pounds. The high-tensile steel won't matter too much, cause I assume he's not gonna be dropping a ten set anytime soon within a year or two if he's starting out.

he wouldnt be able to learn properly on a full sized bike for at least a couple of years, i let this kid on the skatepark on my bike sometimes, he's like 8ish, and he looks pretty silly on it :L Pretty sure if you get an 18" for anyone whos 8 and into bmxing, theyll learn 10x quicker than a 20+"

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

9/26/2012 4:20 AM

Get a 16" or 18" sunday complete.

|

Instagram= suckmydeeeck
Tumblr= http://benkingyo.tumblr.com/

9/26/2012 10:52 AM

Somewhat tricky because if you buy him something that fits, he's going to outgrow it.
All the brands that have been mentioned are reputable, and you really can't go wrong with anything.
I'm 200 lbs, 6'3", and I bought a 7 year old, used, Haro on craigslist for $50.
I had a blast on it, and when the time came and I knew I was really going to stay in BMX, I bought a nicer bike.

|

9/26/2012 11:11 AM

18" by any reputable company should suffice. I wouldnt go any smaller as he will outgrow in a couple of years but it should be a lot of fun for him instead of a 20" which would just be too much bike for him right now.

|

Refs~ scamhype x 3, pikachu, kroller, Ivan, kingcitybikeco, powerhouse, and traded w/ Jr Faw &Kevin Burnette
Sold 24" complete to some kid on here Chris....something I think.