buying used bikes online advice

Related:
Create New Tag

6/4/2020 8:26 PM

I've been looking on the pinkbike buy-sell pages for bmx and I've seen some super nice steals that I'd love to buy in a heartbeat. The only problem is a lot of those bikes aren't near me or even in my state. Does anyone have experience with buying used bmx online without seeing it first hand? I feel like it'd be really sketchy since you can't see first hand what you're getting but some of these bikes seem like a great deal and I'd hate to miss out on them. Is it better to just play it safe or go risk it a bit?

|

6/5/2020 5:27 AM

supersnivy87 wrote:

I've been looking on the pinkbike buy-sell pages for bmx and I've seen some super nice steals that I'd love to buy in a heartbeat. The only problem is a lot of those bikes aren't near me or even in my state. Does anyone have experience with buying used bmx online without seeing it first hand? I feel like it'd be really sketchy since you can't see first hand what you're getting but some of these bikes seem like a great deal and I'd hate to miss out on them. Is it better to just play it safe or go risk it a bit?

I’ve had many transactions on pinkbike. Both with buying, selling of parts and completes. I would say I’ve had maybe one or two bad experiences out of nearly 100 or more sales.

It is an honor system and you have to have a level of trust with the buyer.

I don’t not buy from teenagers, no offense to those that are teens, I just find it to be a pain in the ass based on past experiences.

I also don’t buy from new members either unless I can pick up in person. You can check the members profile and see how many sales they’ve had to get an idea of their history.

Never, ever send the money as a “gift” or “friends/family” of using PayPal. You will have no protection as a buyer if you choose so send money that way. Suck it up and pay the 4% PayPal fees.

|

6/5/2020 12:36 PM

Could you give us an example? including the price and the shipping cost? Thanks

|

6/5/2020 12:49 PM

is buying local not an option?

|

fack off

6/5/2020 1:19 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

is buying local not an option?

It is an option just the problem is that some of the bikes on there that are a really good deal aren't local. for example some guy was selling a mint condition Sunday soundwave 2020 for only 600 which seemed like a super good deal. only problem is he's in another state. The ones that are local are usually super overpriced and not worth it. I guess I should just wait for a couple good deals nearby.

|

6/5/2020 1:22 PM

supersnivy87 wrote:

I've been looking on the pinkbike buy-sell pages for bmx and I've seen some super nice steals that I'd love to buy in a heartbeat. The only problem is a lot of those bikes aren't near me or even in my state. Does anyone have experience with buying used bmx online without seeing it first hand? I feel like it'd be really sketchy since you can't see first hand what you're getting but some of these bikes seem like a great deal and I'd hate to miss out on them. Is it better to just play it safe or go risk it a bit?

spencer666 wrote:

I’ve had many transactions on pinkbike. Both with buying, selling of parts and completes. I would say I’ve had maybe one or two bad experiences out of nearly 100 or more sales.

It is an honor system and you have to have a level of trust with the buyer.

I don’t not buy from teenagers, no offense to those that are teens, I just find it to be a pain in the ass based on past experiences.

I also don’t buy from new members either unless I can pick up in person. You can check the members profile and see how many sales they’ve had to get an idea of their history.

Never, ever send the money as a “gift” or “friends/family” of using PayPal. You will have no protection as a buyer if you choose so send money that way. Suck it up and pay the 4% PayPal fees.

Thanks for the advice. I've always heard to never send the money as friends/family or a gift so I'll remember to keep that in mind. And yeah I should definitely be checking their profiles for past sales and comments on the user to make sure it's nothing shady. Does pinkbike offer some sort of protection program so if you get completely ripped off, you can get your money back or something?

|

6/5/2020 2:47 PM

supersnivy87 wrote:

I've been looking on the pinkbike buy-sell pages for bmx and I've seen some super nice steals that I'd love to buy in a heartbeat. The only problem is a lot of those bikes aren't near me or even in my state. Does anyone have experience with buying used bmx online without seeing it first hand? I feel like it'd be really sketchy since you can't see first hand what you're getting but some of these bikes seem like a great deal and I'd hate to miss out on them. Is it better to just play it safe or go risk it a bit?

spencer666 wrote:

I’ve had many transactions on pinkbike. Both with buying, selling of parts and completes. I would say I’ve had maybe one or two bad experiences out of nearly 100 or more sales.

It is an honor system and you have to have a level of trust with the buyer.

I don’t not buy from teenagers, no offense to those that are teens, I just find it to be a pain in the ass based on past experiences.

I also don’t buy from new members either unless I can pick up in person. You can check the members profile and see how many sales they’ve had to get an idea of their history.

Never, ever send the money as a “gift” or “friends/family” of using PayPal. You will have no protection as a buyer if you choose so send money that way. Suck it up and pay the 4% PayPal fees.

supersnivy87 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I've always heard to never send the money as friends/family or a gift so I'll remember to keep that in mind. And yeah I should definitely be checking their profiles for past sales and comments on the user to make sure it's nothing shady. Does pinkbike offer some sort of protection program so if you get completely ripped off, you can get your money back or something?

Pinkbike does not. It’s between you and the buyer. What little bit of protection you would have would be with PayPal. It’s completely on an honor system and you just have to use your best judgment.

|

6/5/2020 3:11 PM

spencer666 wrote:

I’ve had many transactions on pinkbike. Both with buying, selling of parts and completes. I would say I’ve had maybe one or two bad experiences out of nearly 100 or more sales.

It is an honor system and you have to have a level of trust with the buyer.

I don’t not buy from teenagers, no offense to those that are teens, I just find it to be a pain in the ass based on past experiences.

I also don’t buy from new members either unless I can pick up in person. You can check the members profile and see how many sales they’ve had to get an idea of their history.

Never, ever send the money as a “gift” or “friends/family” of using PayPal. You will have no protection as a buyer if you choose so send money that way. Suck it up and pay the 4% PayPal fees.

supersnivy87 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I've always heard to never send the money as friends/family or a gift so I'll remember to keep that in mind. And yeah I should definitely be checking their profiles for past sales and comments on the user to make sure it's nothing shady. Does pinkbike offer some sort of protection program so if you get completely ripped off, you can get your money back or something?

spencer666 wrote:

Pinkbike does not. It’s between you and the buyer. What little bit of protection you would have would be with PayPal. It’s completely on an honor system and you just have to use your best judgment.

Makes sense. One last question, I found a bike that I'm really interested in buying but the seller only posted like 2 pictures of it. I want to ask about seeing a couple more pictures but I just wanted to ask you since you're pretty experienced with buying used parts and completes online, what are the most important things to ask for when buying a used bike online? Is there certain pictures I should ask for to see on the bike, like the serial number on it or anything else? This is going to be the second bmx I've bought and first time buying used online so I'm not too sure what to look out for.

|

6/5/2020 4:28 PM

supersnivy87 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I've always heard to never send the money as friends/family or a gift so I'll remember to keep that in mind. And yeah I should definitely be checking their profiles for past sales and comments on the user to make sure it's nothing shady. Does pinkbike offer some sort of protection program so if you get completely ripped off, you can get your money back or something?

spencer666 wrote:

Pinkbike does not. It’s between you and the buyer. What little bit of protection you would have would be with PayPal. It’s completely on an honor system and you just have to use your best judgment.

supersnivy87 wrote:

Makes sense. One last question, I found a bike that I'm really interested in buying but the seller only posted like 2 pictures of it. I want to ask about seeing a couple more pictures but I just wanted to ask you since you're pretty experienced with buying used parts and completes online, what are the most important things to ask for when buying a used bike online? Is there certain pictures I should ask for to see on the bike, like the serial number on it or anything else? This is going to be the second bmx I've bought and first time buying used online so I'm not too sure what to look out for.

Ask for whatever pics you want to see. As a seller, it’s my job to sell the bike so if a buyer wants more pics then I should send them. If the seller thinks it’s a hassle then move on. As for questions, ask if there’s any cracks or dents. How are the bearings, are the wheels true or do they have any flat spots. Every add is different and some can be very vague. Guess it all depends on the price point.

Honestly, most of these things are typically listed but pinkbike is also mostly catered towards mountain bikes and most of the used bikes for sale are still very expensive, at least compared to a BMX bike.

Just trust your gut and if it doesn’t feel right then find something else.

|

6/5/2020 5:08 PM

spencer666 wrote:

Pinkbike does not. It’s between you and the buyer. What little bit of protection you would have would be with PayPal. It’s completely on an honor system and you just have to use your best judgment.

supersnivy87 wrote:

Makes sense. One last question, I found a bike that I'm really interested in buying but the seller only posted like 2 pictures of it. I want to ask about seeing a couple more pictures but I just wanted to ask you since you're pretty experienced with buying used parts and completes online, what are the most important things to ask for when buying a used bike online? Is there certain pictures I should ask for to see on the bike, like the serial number on it or anything else? This is going to be the second bmx I've bought and first time buying used online so I'm not too sure what to look out for.

spencer666 wrote:

Ask for whatever pics you want to see. As a seller, it’s my job to sell the bike so if a buyer wants more pics then I should send them. If the seller thinks it’s a hassle then move on. As for questions, ask if there’s any cracks or dents. How are the bearings, are the wheels true or do they have any flat spots. Every add is different and some can be very vague. Guess it all depends on the price point.

Honestly, most of these things are typically listed but pinkbike is also mostly catered towards mountain bikes and most of the used bikes for sale are still very expensive, at least compared to a BMX bike.

Just trust your gut and if it doesn’t feel right then find something else.

For sure thanks man. I found a Sunday soundwave for only 600 which seems like a damn good deal but idk how to feel about it. seems a little low but once the guy sends me some more pics I should be able to make my mind

|

6/5/2020 5:24 PM

How far away is the Soundwave from you?

|

6/5/2020 5:25 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

How far away is the Soundwave from you?

A whole state away

|

6/5/2020 5:27 PM

check refrences with others long time posters buyer/sellers

i got ripped off twice for rushing into "too good to be true" deals

|

wallride a bus everyday

6/5/2020 5:28 PM

buttmeate wrote:

check refrences with others long time posters buyer/sellers

i got ripped off twice for rushing into "too good to be true" deals

yeah that's what I'm scared of. the guy has been an active member since 2008 and has sold many items in the past and seems pretty well known so I feel like he's pretty reputable.

|

6/5/2020 5:52 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

How far away is the Soundwave from you?

supersnivy87 wrote:

A whole state away

For me that's literally a five minute walk.. What if you're in Miami Florida, or Vermont?

|

6/5/2020 6:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/5/2020 6:01 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

How far away is the Soundwave from you?

supersnivy87 wrote:

A whole state away

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

For me that's literally a five minute walk.. What if you're in Miami Florida, or Vermont?

I mean it's somewhere that I wouldn't be able to drive to. id have to buy it online without seeing it

|

6/5/2020 7:25 PM

supersnivy87 wrote:

I mean it's somewhere that I wouldn't be able to drive to. id have to buy it online without seeing it

Even if it's a couple hour drive, I would look for something you can see before buying..

|

6/6/2020 9:04 PM

There are many posts already, so forgive me if this has been said before but:

Do not buy from a person that clearly doesn't know anything about bmx. I see this all the time, a bike that seems legit but the seller goes "yea, I dont really know if this is a Haro or a Fit (the photos show a bike with no decals but it has the classic terrible one's barcode's 'A' seatstays/top tube/seat tube junction), but it is in great shape.Oh and I also can't tell what year this is"

It's easy to see that unless you live near this guy to go check the bike with your own eyes, you should avoid it like the plague. If this person doesn't even know something relatively easy as the brand, they certainly won't know if it has cracks, re-welds, dents, if something is bent or has been bent back into its original shape, if it's been repainted and how many times...

|

6/7/2020 8:37 AM

Try Craigalist so you can see and ride the bike in person.

|

6/7/2020 8:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/7/2020 8:18 PM

I’d agree that you’re way better off buying from someone who knows a lot about bmx, owns three bikes, & has a fairly deep bag of tricks, etc. That would be hard to gauge short of talking to them on the phone though. Texting and messaging might give you a sense of it - but it would be a red flag if they, for example, never heard of Garrett Reynolds or say they only ride scooters. Then the bike is possibly “hot”.

I also suspect you will get “sticker shock” when they tack on $80.00 or more for shipping. Prices for shipping have gone thru the roof for regular people. You literally may be better off flying to pick the bike up for what shipping a 25lb box 500miles would be. A couple of airlines changed their policies so a bike would considered checked luggage.

|

6/7/2020 10:52 PM

Otabmx wrote:

There are many posts already, so forgive me if this has been said before but:

Do not buy from a person that clearly doesn't know anything about bmx. I see this all the time, a bike that seems legit but the seller goes "yea, I dont really know if this is a Haro or a Fit (the photos show a bike with no decals but it has the classic terrible one's barcode's 'A' seatstays/top tube/seat tube junction), but it is in great shape.Oh and I also can't tell what year this is"

It's easy to see that unless you live near this guy to go check the bike with your own eyes, you should avoid it like the plague. If this person doesn't even know something relatively easy as the brand, they certainly won't know if it has cracks, re-welds, dents, if something is bent or has been bent back into its original shape, if it's been repainted and how many times...

Yeah definitely. Its pretty easy for me to notice the people who know and don't know their stuff or what the bike even is from the description and title usually. Those are the biggest giveaways.

|

6/7/2020 10:55 PM

T-Dawgg wrote:

I’d agree that you’re way better off buying from someone who knows a lot about bmx, owns three bikes, & has a fairly deep bag of tricks, etc. That would be hard to gauge short of talking to them on the phone though. Texting and messaging might give you a sense of it - but it would be a red flag if they, for example, never heard of Garrett Reynolds or say they only ride scooters. Then the bike is possibly “hot”.

I also suspect you will get “sticker shock” when they tack on $80.00 or more for shipping. Prices for shipping have gone thru the roof for regular people. You literally may be better off flying to pick the bike up for what shipping a 25lb box 500miles would be. A couple of airlines changed their policies so a bike would considered checked luggage.

Yikes. I was looking at some estimates and it was saying anywhere from 50 at the lowest to maybe 250 depending on type of shipping and company. I don't think it should be too expensive though as I used to ride scooters when I was really young and was always buying and selling scooters over eBay and stuff. A scooter that weighed 5-10 pounds was usually 10-15 dollars so a bike must be around 30 or 40 by guessing.

|

6/8/2020 7:03 AM

Tell the seller to use Bikeflights as they partner with shipping companies and it is a lot cheaper. I sold a road bike and UPS and Fedex were like double the cost of shipping, used bike flights and it was something like 60-70. Road bikes boxed up are almost double the size of a BMX bike. BMX bikes should be 30-50 bucks TOPS for shipping.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/8/2020 8:19 AM

IMHO - If your paying anywhere from $100 and up...Your better off getting it from someone who knows their stuff. Has tons of pictures of the bike and all the info you'd want about a bike.

Yet I will admit when buying from someone who doesn't know anything about bikes...you could get yourself a legit bike at "10 cents for a dollar". 

|