cassette or freecoaster? for steetriding?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/27/2018 9:15 AM

whats best to use for street riding

oh and what does jhon hicks use

|

2/27/2018 10:00 AM

Neither. Go freewheel like most other pros do.

|

2/27/2018 11:35 AM

I cant find anything on a freewheel hub only cassette and freecoasters could someone give me advise on what a freewheel is?

|

2/27/2018 1:17 PM

John Hicks doesn’t ride. He vlogs.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/27/2018 1:18 PM

Cassette, unless you're planning on riding like Ian schwartz

|

2/27/2018 1:37 PM

Blakwiddow wrote:

I cant find anything on a freewheel hub only cassette and freecoasters could someone give me advise on what a freewheel is?

Freewheel is an old school cassette, of sorts. At this point, trust me, just get a bike with a cassette.

|

2/27/2018 2:01 PM

whell on the site of the bike company it says that the freecoaster is for street riding so idk

|

2/27/2018 2:11 PM

People who stick with freecoasters are weird people who know very well what they want.

Hence them riding a freecoaster.

There's no need to be afraid of 180ing at speed, you can be stealthier, you can concentrate more on the trick, there's a more pronounced rider to bike connection. You acquire a spider sense and the bike seems to speak better to you.

And there's no sound. It's pure bliss. You'll fall in love with way your ride whoosh whooshes around jumps, bowls...

If you want to try both versions out (and it's a good thing- see with your style), get a hub where you can switch between freecoaster and cassette.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

2/27/2018 2:14 PM

Blakwiddow wrote:

whell on the site of the bike company it says that the freecoaster is for street riding so idk

You can't rely on a website telling you what you prefer to ride.

You've made 2 threads on which hub to go with, but you still can't decide on what to go with. So..

Go with a cassette if:

You like the sound of it.
You want constant pedal pressure.
You don't mind pedaling backwards doing fakies.

Go with a freecoaster if:
You want a silent hub.
You want some slack in the crank before the hub engages
You don't want to pedal backwards
Bonus - You know enough about bikes that maintaining one won't be a hassle.

So with that, buy a cassette and go ride.

|

2/27/2018 2:17 PM

Blakwiddow wrote:

Dude really.... just becasue someone says, "Oh, freecoasters are for street riders only" and if you believe that, that's stupid.... I ride park and the year and a half I've been riding, I've ridden cassettes... but I just bought a freecoaster and I ride park still... there are still a few pro street riders riding cassettes... if you are looking for a first bike, get a cassette...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

2/27/2018 2:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/27/2018 2:26 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Dude really.... just becasue someone says, "Oh, freecoasters are for street riders only" and if you believe that, that's stupid.... I ride park and the year and a half I've been riding, I've ridden cassettes... but I just bought a freecoaster and I ride park still... there are still a few pro street riders riding cassettes... if you are looking for a first bike, get a cassette...

This.

I first got my bike and it had a cassette and just rode it. My back wheel got loose (not a great wheel anyway) so I splurged and bought a Primo 7 series with a free coaster on it and had no idea there was a difference, a different name, etc.

I rode that for a few years.

Literally only when it came time to address a problem with the hub did I realize there was a difference, and which had advantages/disadvantages.

So don't get so distracted by what one website says, what options you think you might need. If nobody told you "This is different" or "This is better" you would never notice.

BMX is very much a ride it and try it sport. You can't predict whether or not you'll like or hate a part or a specific arrangement.

|

2/27/2018 10:17 PM

Can you brake if you pedal backwards with a cassette whilw going forward

|

2/27/2018 11:20 PM

Blakwiddow wrote:

No

|

Hmmm

2/28/2018 1:43 PM

Blakwiddow wrote:

You can't do that with either...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/1/2018 9:31 PM

If you're starting out, I'd go with a cassette. They're easier and make a little more sense when you're starting out plus the added pedal pressure control can help give you more confidence. Switch to a freecoaster once youre already rolling backwards.
You really just have to try both for yourself to answer that question cuz everyone wants different things and the only way you'll find out what you like is by trying it personally.

|

3/2/2018 7:46 AM

Get a switch hub ,salt plus do one

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

3/5/2018 12:46 PM

cassette....for sure a cassette for you.

|

3/5/2018 7:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2018 7:28 PM

I learned how to ride on a freecoaster. I know i'm a freak. But I converted to cassette gang very recently. Just get cassette, less maintenance and more durable.

|

Ride for yourself and have fun

3/6/2018 2:05 AM

Anthony Loves Subrosa wrote:

I learned how to ride on a freecoaster. I know i'm a freak. But I converted to cassette gang very recently. Just get cassette, less maintenance and more durable.

I also started on a coaster. I switched to a cassette (eclat Dynamic v1) for a while and it tore itself to pieces due to shit seals, a driver bushing that was far too soft and ratchet ring teeth that were far too shallow. I found I was constantly maintaining it and bodging it back together. After that completely shit the bed, I went straight back to a coaster and haven't missed the cassette once. My point is, not all cassettes are equal. There's a few common misconceptions regarding coasters, they don't require any more maintenance than you should be doing to a cassette and if properly maintained, they're arguably more durable.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/19/2018 4:29 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

You've made 2 threads on which hub to go with, but you still can't decide on what to go with. So..

Go with a cassette if:

You want a silent hub.

Sorry to reply to an old thread, but what do you mean by "maintaining one won't be a hassle"? I just installed my new Eclat freecoaster so I'm curious. I race motocross and keep all my bikes in pristine condition so I'm sure it's nothing I can't handle.

|

Houston

7/19/2018 5:21 PM

TreyBayBay wrote:

Sorry to reply to an old thread, but what do you mean by "maintaining one won't be a hassle"? I just installed my new Eclat freecoaster so I'm curious. I race motocross and keep all my bikes in pristine condition so I'm sure it's nothing I can't handle.

If you can handle routine engine rebuilds, then maintaining a freecoaster should be a piece of cake.

It just means that every couple of months, you disassemble it. Clean up the internals and rebuild it with new grease.

|

7/19/2018 5:24 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Go with a cassette if:

You want a silent hub.

TreyBayBay wrote:

jbales wrote:

If you can handle routine engine rebuilds, then maintaining a freecoaster should be a piece of cake.

It just means that every couple of months, you disassemble it. Clean up the internals and rebuild it with new grease.

Yeah. It's pretty easy... as long as you have the proper tools you're good

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/20/2018 3:36 AM

If you plan on doing a lot of fakie tricks get a coaster, if not get a cassette, that’s as simple as it gets imo

|

Ride everything

7/20/2018 6:15 AM

Jibby wrote:

If you plan on doing a lot of fakie tricks get a coaster, if not get a cassette, that’s as simple as it gets imo

Who plans that kind of thing though?

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

7/20/2018 6:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/20/2018 6:40 AM

Jibby wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Surely they have an idea what kind of riding they’re into.

|

Ride everything

7/20/2018 6:40 AM

Jibby wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

|

Ride everything

7/20/2018 6:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/20/2018 6:46 AM

Jibby wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Jibby wrote:

Why not everything? You're not always going to be riding the same kind of thing; it'd get boring pretty fast...

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

7/20/2018 7:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/20/2018 7:12 AM

TreyBayBay wrote:

Question was pretty much answered, but I figured since you mentioned you have an Eclat coaster....I have a WTP Helix V2. I've had it on 2 different bikes and only opened it up and re-greased once. I didn't mean to make it sound like it was a real pain in the ass to own one, it's just more moving parts so inherently slightly more upkeep.

Eclat/WTP make good stuff, I swear by this hub. I ride and pedal pretty hard and sometimes (this morning) I commute in NYC with my BMX bike.

|

7/20/2018 7:14 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Question was pretty much answered, but I figured since you mentioned you have an Eclat coaster....I have a WTP Helix V2. I've had it on 2 different bikes and only opened it up and re-greased once. I didn't mean to make it sound like it was a real pain in the ass to own one, it's just more moving parts so inherently slightly more upkeep.

Eclat/WTP make good stuff, I swear by this hub. I ride and pedal pretty hard and sometimes (this morning) I commute in NYC with my BMX bike.

It's good to hear this, The Helix/Cortex were the only other coasters I'd consider over my Odyssey Clutch V2.

|

7/20/2018 7:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/20/2018 7:20 AM

Phunny93 wrote:

It's good to hear this, The Helix/Cortex were the only other coasters I'd consider over my Odyssey Clutch V2.

Yep. Conversely, when I replace this one it'll be between the Clutch and whatever WTP/Eclat have at the time.

BTW the Helix hub I have on there now was laced in spring of 2015 and is still going.

(knocks wood)

|