cassette or freecoaster? for steetriding?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/20/2018 7:21 AM

It's 100 percent personal riding preference

I use to be a strickly cassette freecoaster hater, but after a year of riding a coaster I've found that the silence is overwhelming enjoyable to the point I can't stand being around a cassette for that simple factor

Don't like the slack thing no problem because with these newer coasters you can have almost zero slack and still have a nice silent ride

If you go coaster I recommend a clutch v2 so you have the ability to adjust your slack without taking the hub apart

|

7/20/2018 9:07 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Who plans that kind of thing though?

Jibby wrote:

Surely they have an idea what kind of riding they’re into.

p1p1092 wrote:

Why not everything? You're not always going to be riding the same kind of thing; it'd get boring pretty fast...

I see what your saying, guess that’s why I have 2 bikes, one of each smile

|

Ride everything

7/22/2018 2:15 PM

Gonna be honest. I think Freecoasters are perfect for street. The only thing I hate about it is there is no bitch crank and no fakie control unless you run brakes. But it's silent and keeps you stealthy especially if you run plastics. I've rode a police station and wasn't caught. I just really hate the sound of cassettes. LOL

|

7/22/2018 7:21 PM

WiteMic wrote:

Gonna be honest. I think Freecoasters are perfect for street. The only thing I hate about it is there is no bitch crank and no ...more

Besides wanting to increase my fakie distance the silent thing is a really awesome solution to too much bike noise. Plastic pegs and a freecoaster is a nice change from steel pegs and a loud cassette.

I have the clutch v2 and have been loving it!

I also have an Odyssey Antigram and Eastern Birectional (4 pawls) the eastern is deeper and louder but its a bit of a pain to service when needed.

Antigram is dead simple! Love that hub too but when I ride street and Im in a place I might should not be, the freecoaster is where its at.

I do like riding a cassette for dirt jumps and doing my half assed crankflip attempts...lol there are other reasons too.

I learned how to fakie with a cassette and I learned how to pivot and half cab on a cassette. It was very difficult to re-learn fakies and half cabs on a freecoaster. It lets you ride faster fakie (brakes help with slowing down as mentioned) and you can keep your body in an optimum position for pulling out of a fakie instead of having to either wait till your foot of choice is back in position or have to make a half or full reverse crank to put it in the place needed to pull out. Very convenient!

Both have negatives and positives.

|

7/22/2018 7:45 PM

WiteMic wrote:

Gonna be honest. I think Freecoasters are perfect for street. The only thing I hate about it is there is no bitch crank and no ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Besides wanting to increase my fakie distance the silent thing is a really awesome solution to too much bike noise. Plastic ...more

I always tell people that if you ride at night and don't want to get caught, plastics and coaster is the best combo. People say they can't crank flip a coaster. I've been able to do it with my old Shadow one and my Merritt one. But the downfall is learning how to half cab out of a fakie. Shit. even just regulary getting out of it. You don't get to control like you can with a cassette. You can slow it down and balance yourself out. FC though... however fast you were going is the speed you're getting out of it. That's why I'm considering brakes lately. Haven't had them since 2003 but I think it would be a great combo. Charlie Crum was on to something.

|

7/22/2018 9:18 PM

WiteMic wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Besides wanting to increase my fakie distance the silent thing is a really awesome solution to too much bike noise. Plastic ...more

WiteMic wrote:

I always tell people that if you ride at night and don't want to get caught, plastics and coaster is the best combo. People ...more

I kind of slider out of fakies and wait till my bike is a little bit tilted then I half cab out. When you slide your tire slows you down a tad. I do use my brakes if I want to half cab sooner than I would if I just rolled backwards till I slowed down enough to comfortably do it.

I'd say overall the freecoaster has allowed me to improve my riding and opened up new things for me to try.

Even if you dont stick with it for whatever reason, I think it would be worth it for anyone to try, if for no other reason than to realize it isnt "easy mode" for fakies. Everything can turn "easy" after you learn it. I will say it does allow for longer fakies once you do learn it since you have less (mechanically) slowing you down.

so a more accurate way to describe it would be.

"Once you get used to a freecoaster, it will allow you to roll faster and for longer fakie than a cassette will allow."

Kinda has a ring to it...lol

|

7/22/2018 11:12 PM

Blakwiddow wrote:

whell on the site of the bike company it says that the freecoaster is for street riding so idk

Freecoasters were actually invented for flatland bmx, not street riding, and hence freecoasters are most commonly seen on flatland bikes. When not on flatland bike, they’re on a park or street bike.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican