chain problems!

Related:
Create New Tag

4/12/2014 12:48 PM

so i have a tight spot in my chain so when i put my wheel on and all the chain is either super loose or has decent tension and suupppeerr tight in one spot. idk how to explain it. it could be that my sprocket isn't lined up, which isn't too bad, but i need the spacers to prevent my cranks from hitting my chain stays. i don't think chain tensioners will work because id still have the tight spot. how do i fix this????

|

4/12/2014 12:48 PM

oh, and i don't think the chain is stretched or anything either because its somewhat new

|

4/12/2014 1:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/12/2014 1:52 PM

Take a sharpie and mark the tight spot on the chain and also on the sprocket at 12 o'clock at the same time. Remove the chain from the front sprocket, rotate the cranks 180 degrees and put the chain back on the sprocket. Rotate the cranks 360 degrees, re-mark the chain tight spot and align it to the exact location it was before in relation to the chainstay. Mark the sprocket at 12 o'clock and compare the two marks on the sprocket. If there not really close together your chain is stretched. If the marks on the sprocket are then the sprocket is bent. Good luck.

|

4/12/2014 1:22 PM

this happend to me and i found out my sprocket was bent. and so i got a new sprocket and theres no tight spots anymore.

|

4/12/2014 5:44 PM

95horsepower wrote:

Take a sharpie and mark the tight spot on the chain and also on the sprocket at 12 o'clock at the same time. Remove the chain from the front sprocket, rotate the cranks 180 degrees and put the chain back on the sprocket. Rotate the cranks 360 degrees, re-mark the chain tight spot and align it to the exact location it was before in relation to the chainstay. Mark the sprocket at 12 o'clock and compare the two marks on the sprocket. If there not really close together your chain is stretched. If the marks on the sprocket are then the sprocket is bent. Good luck.

Thanks!

|

4/12/2014 5:44 PM

sunny_D wrote:

this happend to me and i found out my sprocket was bent. and so i got a new sprocket and theres no tight spots anymore.

Thanks

|

4/12/2014 6:09 PM

is your sprocket bent? is your sprocket bore hole the same size as your cranks' spindle? i know thats a pretty silly question but i know a guy who's running a sprocket with a 22mm bore on a 19mm spindle and he was wondering why his chain had SUPER tight spot and SUPER loose spot

|

You're never too old to have fun.

Bike
Summer riding

4/12/2014 7:17 PM

tr1x wrote:

is your sprocket bent? is your sprocket bore hole the same size as your cranks' spindle? i know thats a pretty silly question but i know a guy who's running a sprocket with a 22mm bore on a 19mm spindle and he was wondering why his chain had SUPER tight spot and SUPER loose spot

I think that is actually it. Thank you so much! I never noticed I didn't have an adapter and that It was too big for the spindle

|