chromoly guarded sprocket

Related:
Create New Tag

9/19/2014 1:49 PM

why doesn't this exist yet? the only reason i could think of is that it fucks with planned obsolescence or may be more prone to bending than 7075 aluminum. i'd imagine if they can make chromo budget sprockets, then cost isn't the issue.

discuss

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

9/19/2014 1:57 PM

Weight is the only reason. Too many people would complain it's too heavy. A normal guarded sprocket is around 5 ounces and a chromo non guard is the same weight. A chromo guarded is prolly gonna be around 10 ounces or so. I'd still ride it. Only sprocket i would go to since i have a tree lite

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

9/19/2014 2:04 PM

tomdon wrote:

Weight is the only reason. Too many people would complain it's too heavy. A normal guarded sprocket is around 5 ounces and a chromo non guard is the same weight. A chromo guarded is prolly gonna be around 10 ounces or so. I'd still ride it. Only sprocket i would go to since i have a tree lite

i was kinda thinking that if a tree lite is 2.3 ounces and the tree sd v2 is 3 ---- and the knox (random example) is 5.1 ounces, they could probably make a pretty beefy chromo guarded sprocket at like 8 ounces, maybe even less. nonetheless, its all negligible weight differences, in my opinion. i relate this to how they are now making a lot of these plastic pegs with the option for having a chromo core as opposed to an aluminum core.

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

9/19/2014 2:13 PM

It's the cookie cutter mindset that most companies have. They all make the same shit because it works and it sells. They know there's guys out there that'd love shit like a chromo guarded sprocket... but there's not enough of them. Tom said it. The weight weenies are majority and majority often determines what is considered 'marketable'.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

9/19/2014 3:25 PM

Backhand Bikes offered to make me one of theyre guard sprockets out of 4130 for a price. Never discussed the price aspect since i was broke at the time, but was a really kind offer from them.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/20/2014 12:58 AM

If bashguards are standing now , they don't "need" to make one. More are coming out , so like freecoasters I can imagine they will start being available.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/20/2014 10:18 AM

ticaleb wrote:

i was kinda thinking that if a tree lite is 2.3 ounces and the tree sd v2 is 3 ---- and the knox (random example) is 5.1 ounces, they could probably make a pretty beefy chromo guarded sprocket at like 8 ounces, maybe even less. nonetheless, its all negligible weight differences, in my opinion. i relate this to how they are now making a lot of these plastic pegs with the option for having a chromo core as opposed to an aluminum core.

The Tree Lite is 5/16" (8mm) thick and has 1/8" teeth. The Tree 4130 is 4.5mm thick and has 3/32" teeth. A chromoly guard sprocket will just be unnecessarily heavy by design. Guard sprockets have to be very thick. You're looking at 12-16 ounces probably for a strong chromoly guard sprocket. Even then, no one has problems with 7075 guard sprockets, especially well designed ones like the MDS and Knox.

I think a much better idea would be to offer a minimized bolt on chromoly guard. Lighter, but still durable and it should slide better if you ever hit it.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

9/20/2014 5:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/18/2014 9:06 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

The Tree Lite is 5/16" (8mm) thick and has 1/8" teeth. The Tree 4130 is 4.5mm thick and has 3/32" teeth. A chromoly guard sprocket will just be unnecessarily heavy by design. Guard sprockets have to be very thick. You're looking at 12-16 ounces probably for a strong chromoly guard sprocket. Even then, no one has problems with 7075 guard sprockets, especially well designed ones like the MDS and Knox.

I think a much better idea would be to offer a minimized bolt on chromoly guard. Lighter, but still durable and it should slide better if you ever hit it.

"I think a much better idea would be to offer a minimized bolt on chromoly guard. Lighter, but still durable and it should slide better if you ever hit it."
so basically a chromo version of the shadow disaster guard that everyone dumped all over?

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

9/20/2014 9:43 PM

I'd run a chromo guard like the tree guard. Bolt it to an aliminium sprocket.

Not uber heavy and the company wouldn't have to fork out so much for tooling etc

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

9/20/2014 10:01 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

"I think a much better idea would be to offer a minimized bolt on chromoly guard. Lighter, but still durable and it should slide better if you ever hit it."
so basically a chromo version of the shadow disaster guard that everyone dumped all over?

No. A chromoly version of the Tree OG guard.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

9/21/2014 5:08 AM

Bolt on guards are alot better than the universal guard from shadow, a blot on wont space your cranks out anf you can get a better fit with a designated guard i used to love the old xposure sprocket/guard combo.

|

11/1/2016 10:20 PM

BUMP MASTER HERE AGAIN! I'm drawing a chromoly guard sprocket. It will be a little bit heavier than a normal chromoly sprocket. All my friends want one. Here's a peek Photo

|

HEAVY bikes METAL music