coaster noises

Related:
Create New Tag

11/3/2015 6:36 PM

so i just got this 2nd hand cinema fx coaster and when im riding it, when i stop pedalling there is a weird noise coming from the hub. its like a little clunking noise, im not sure if its the hub or spokes rubbing on my hubguard. any clues on what it could be?

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

11/3/2015 11:04 PM

PLEASE HELP

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

11/3/2015 11:07 PM

Hmhm check your guard and see if a spoke is rubbing it or a piece of your guard is worn and pokes out and might hit it ( happened to my plastic guard ) . It's probably something internal , I want to say maybe a bearing ? Take it all apart and inspect it , especially the clutch and the ball contact fucker I forgot what it's called , and see what's going on

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

11/4/2015 1:13 AM

it only happens every now and then though. and not hubguard

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

11/4/2015 10:35 AM

Maybe some lose cone nuts.
I had buy a new freecoaster a few weeks ago and I was having the same problem, while pedaling when the hub is engaged, good, but when i stopped pedaling (and make the hub disengage) there was a big clicking noise (like "klakk").
The coaster was completely new and it was already making weird noise on the first ride ! I was kind of upset especially with the fact I had buy it as a complete wheel supposed to be ready to ride and already set for the biggest mechanic newbie.
Result, I shortened a lot my first ride because of that noise who was afraid myself, back home, check the wheel, tighten the cone nuts a lot (they were already "tighten") and boom ! no problem since that.

|

11/4/2015 1:41 PM

If it's pretty new it could just be the coaster wearing in.

Most hubs will make a pop noise when you first ride them, but this will go away as the hub wears in. After it goes away, you will want to open up your hub and clean it out and regrease it though as there may be some metal shavings worn off in to your hub.

If it has been ridden for a while before you got it, odds are there is something blown in there or there could simply be a lack of grease inside the hub.

My first step would be to take the hub apart, clean it out, check out all the bearings, re pack it with a lot of grease and put it back together and see if that helps.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that, you should take it to a local bike shop who is used to working on BMX bikes.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

11/4/2015 2:56 PM

transition_chris wrote:

If it's pretty new it could just be the coaster wearing in.

Most hubs will make a pop noise when you first ride them, but this will go away as the hub wears in. After it goes away, you will want to open up your hub and clean it out and regrease it though as there may be some metal shavings worn off in to your hub.

If it has been ridden for a while before you got it, odds are there is something blown in there or there could simply be a lack of grease inside the hub.

My first step would be to take the hub apart, clean it out, check out all the bearings, re pack it with a lot of grease and put it back together and see if that helps.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that, you should take it to a local bike shop who is used to working on BMX bikes.

This is almost exactly what I was about to type. Dead on.

www.albes.com

|

11/4/2015 3:27 PM

ok thanks guys. ill have a look after school today

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA