comfortable seat

Related:
Create New Tag

5/6/2016 6:15 AM

The search results brought up some old seats that are discontinued. Anyone buy a seat recently that is comfy? I'm 250 (part of the problem) and my seat is not cutting it. I have the FBM seat with the red heart stitching and the WTP smuggler seat. I might as well have have one of those UNI seats from back in the day. They hurt.

What do you guys like? Do they break down and get softer with use?

|

5/6/2016 7:49 AM

I have the Shadow Kobza and it's not comfortable, but it's not terrible. Not due to lack of padding- it's a shape thing.
Not necessarily weight either- I weigh a bit less than that, but close & I've had road bike seats so comfortable I never really thought about it.

I'm keeping it for a while, but after that think I'll try the Tree Ergo ( others here have recommended as a legit comfy seat)

You may need more curve, less width, could be the combo of the post/seat, so where it hits you when you are pedaling vs where ur weight rests when not... Tons o variables.

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

5/6/2016 7:55 AM

Well, this is a bit hard to reply to, as seats these days are just nice cushy stuff you use to store your tools in (WTP for example). They are mainly there to make sure your male parts are still attached in case of a crash.

Seats are really basic. Just a plastic frame, covered with foam, with a canvas top.

That said though, I wager that tripod seats could be more comfortable than pivotal seats are you won't have a patch to irritate your bum on. It could also help if you have a mixture between two foams, one hard base layer with large triangular voids/cutouts (in the right places) for support and a much softer top layer to conform to your shapes. Maybe a third gel like one? I don't know...

But hey, no one is really going to make something that complicated for just a seat...

As for old age, foam tends to break down if it is not of good quality.

And the fatter the seat, the more comfortable too (this goes without saying).

My thoughts.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

5/6/2016 7:56 AM

Who sits down these days?

|

5/6/2016 8:00 AM

haha, I ride around my neighborhood to get to certain spots. I need to buy online since the bike stores don't carry this stuff. I like the look of that tree seat. I like the way it flanges up in the back. Most seats I see kind of dip down in the back.

|

5/6/2016 8:23 AM

If you sit down quite a bit, seat height and angle will also play a big factor in how comfortable it is. You could try angling it down more at the front, so it's horizontal. That way your butt will be on the padded part of the seat more. Or you could invest in an extra long post with one of those super wide gel seats you get on women's shopping bikes. Keep it in your bag and switch between that when you're commuting, and your current whilst riding smile

|

5/6/2016 11:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/6/2016 11:58 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Who sits down these days?

True, not really while cranking up to speed, pedaling around but if coasting it's nice to able to & not feel like it's a brick. Again, it's more of a shape issue than lack of padding in my experience. OPs gotta try lots of very different types, even types he might think are too narrow for him cause you can't tell from looking

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

5/6/2016 12:47 PM

Any ergo seat. Either the tree or mutiny. I am currently on the mutiny and like it almost as much as the tree

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

5/6/2016 2:42 PM

find one of these
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

It’s all bmx

5/6/2016 11:44 PM

If you are on your seat for small stints of time (say, when coasting down a hill), padding usually makes the difference (coupled with a smooth angle so you don't end up having your tire up your ass).

If it's for longer periods (say upwards of 3-5minutes), and you intend to pedal while seated around the hood, then the most important thing is the angling of the seat and it's position. First, it has got to be at the good height (so you don't end up having knee surgery). Second, it has got to be at the good place (horizontally): your knee has got to be on top of the ball of your foot (where the foot connects to the pedal). Third, if your seat is too far forwards, it will rock your pelvis forwards and your wrists will support your weight (so add in wrist surgery). If it is angled to the moon, again, your wrists will die and you will have hemorrhoids from the tire rubbing against your ass. Lastly, the seat width should match the distance between your bum bones.

Just my two cents.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

5/7/2016 12:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/7/2016 12:49 AM

I'm about the same weight as you and i'm pretty pleased with my S&M Pivotal Kevlar Seat. I really thought it wasn't going to be comfy at all, but it really is. I will admit that I usually don't stay seated for more than a couple mins max though.

I'm sure there Coxie Directors Seat would be even more comfy, but fatter seats tend to catch my foot.

|

5/7/2016 9:05 AM

Thanks guys. Ergonomics might play a bigger role than padding. Good idea. My mtn bike seat is not too bad and its really thin. I am more of a stickler for proper angles on my road and mtn bike since its ridden primarily sitting down. I too just sit on my bmx seat when i coast after pedaling. maybe a minute or so. Its just so hard and it hurts. I like that s&m seat. I think there is a Tom dugan seat that had a nice ergo look to it too.

|

5/7/2016 10:19 AM

I really like the odyssey pivotal seats. All of them seem to be pretty firm and seem to be designed well. Some of the other seats I've picked up in the store are pretty soft and mushy and I've tried one or two of them. Those feel terrible to me.

|

5/8/2016 1:11 AM

Regarding the FBM Heart seat, I've been riding mine for about 4 months now and it's amazing. I used to like slimmer seats, I rode 2 Eclat Gonzos over the course of 4 years. But, I've been going with an all FBM setup and the Heart seat has a Kevlar cover, which was the real selling point for me (I hate vinyl seats). The foam is softer than I'm used to, but damn comfy and makes for a great place to rest the rump when taking a break from pedaling. I'm not a heavy guy (about 160), so I don't know if this'll help. Just thought I'd give some insight on one of the seats you were originally looking at.

|

Check my bikecheck
Eat shit or die tryin', yo!

5/8/2016 8:04 AM

My United stay strong best seat I've ever had

|