cone nuts

Related:
Create New Tag

3/16/2014 1:02 AM

I am no expert on bike parts but i was wondering if cone nuts protect the hub from pegs

|

3/16/2014 3:48 AM

No they are basically just protect the bearings but I know why you think that cos hubguards are basically just massive cone nuts

|

3/16/2014 7:10 AM

Cone nuts don't protect the bearings. They are there to hold looseball bearings in place, and the lock nuts against the cones hold the cones tightely in place, so they don't loosen and tighten, trashing bearings out.

You need a hub guard if you run pegs and don't want to damage things.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/16/2014 7:58 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Cone nuts don't protect the bearings. They are there to hold looseball bearings in place, and the lock nuts against the cones hold the cones tightely in place, so they don't loosen and tighten, trashing bearings out.

You need a hub guard if you run pegs and don't want to damage things.

and it would be similar for a sealed bearing too.. The cone nut holds the bearing in place...

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

3/16/2014 8:02 AM

They dont if you want to protect your hub you'll have to get a hub guard

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

3/16/2014 1:34 PM

handlebar-to-face wrote:

They dont if you want to protect your hub you'll have to get a hub guard

that

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

3/16/2014 1:54 PM

For a freecoaster atleast...

Throw out stock cone nuts and replace them with fat ones ! Stock ones are WEAK , and they'll push against the bearing washer ; it'll bend and literally go through your bearing seal !

The first thing I did was get the cone nut off my Ezra cassette (Shit is like half a centimeter wide) and put it on my coaster before I even rid it. I had to stretch my frame to accomodate it but it was worth it. Coasters go through alot of abuse so having good cone nuts will definately save your hub.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short