consistency

Related:
Create New Tag

9/27/2018 6:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2018 6:48 AM

yo first post here on the formus, so 3 days ago i landed footjam whips after alot of frustration, after i landed the first one i landed them almost every try after that, i was so happy....thats where things went wrong, the last 2 days i havent been able to land any...i am so pissed of at myself. is this because i havent done them enough for me to develop muscle memory? i guess you cant tell exactly how i work but ye uknow what i mean...its just so frustrating. did you guys also go trough this when learning stuff?

|

9/27/2018 6:49 AM

Welcome dude! Short answer - Yes. Everyone goes through this. DO NOT get pissed off at yourself for having an off day.

A huge part of BMX is knowing and admitting "hey its just not happening this day"

Look at Chad Kerley at Battle of Hastings. Dude is a machine on so many levels, but took a spill on a trick he's done a thousand times and it practically took him out. We all have it happen.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/27/2018 6:52 AM

yeah i guess i have to get used that mastering a trick takes more than just landing it a few times...cheers dude i really needed that tongue

|

9/27/2018 6:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2018 6:54 AM

Yes, with every damn trick ever. It's normal, you land something new after trying and fine tuning your technique for a long while. You might be able to repeat it for multiple times right after, but the real skill comes from being able to do it again on a different day and different place. Don't get pissed, just practise more.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

|

9/27/2018 6:57 AM

yeah i see that when i do them on a different spot, i actually do them either better or worse, idk why really, same goes for things i can do, some places i do them awfull. some godly, its weird

|

9/27/2018 8:01 AM

That was me yesterday. I got so pissed I through my bike. Then I got even more pissed for throwing my bike.

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

9/27/2018 8:14 AM

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

That was me yesterday. I got so pissed I through my bike. Then I got even more pissed for throwing my bike.

Don't you hate that? laughing

A few years back I got sudden and bad news that my dog back home had to be put down. I got up, hauled off and put my fist through a plaster wall in my apartment. But real plaster, not drywall. I broke 2 knuckles and my hand was all bloodied. I looked down at it and just said "Well...that was stupid"

We can be real apes sometimes.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/27/2018 11:24 AM

Me and consistency don't talk any more...

|

9/27/2018 11:30 AM

It's massively to do with confidence, but without being cocky. You pulled some footjam whips, that's rad. But don't assume you have them dialled. Certain tricks you will always have to do a few throw away tries at before you commit and pull it. It's a constant learning curve to get things dialled, like knowing exactly what speed you need to go, when to hop, where to lean etc.
Just keep trying them

|

9/27/2018 11:43 AM

Don't try to force things, whatever you do; 9 times out of 10 you'll end up on your ass or if you're really unlucky, you'll get badly injured. Just recognize you're having an off day for that trick and work on something else.

If you can't get them for a few days in a row, try them somewhere different(again, don't force them) and evaluate everything you're doing differently to when you were landing them; it could just be as simple as the way you're thinking about the trick.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

9/27/2018 11:46 AM

I landed my first hop whip and then it took a month to land another. I didn’t have them consistent until maybe a month after the second one. It takes a while to dial a trick in keep at it

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

9/27/2018 12:32 PM

I always had 3 or 4 main tricks that I would be working on. I'd give myself like five legit tries on one trick and if I just wasn't feeling it, move to the next trick. Sometimes those five tries would turn into 100 tries, back to back to back. But when I got frustrated with that trick I'd move to the next main trick I wanted to work on. In between getting frustrated learning my main tricks, I'd do tricks that I knew how to do or had down pretty well . (you know, just riding for fun, not frustration)

I found that for me, my muscles would figure stuff out in my off time. That is, I'd try try try try TRY a trick for weeks or months and then stop messing with them for a week and usually hit the trick first go, next time I tried it. I had friends that would only work on one trick until they got it down. ONLY.ONE.TRICK. over.and.over.and.over. lol. so boring to watch but some of those guys went on to be paid, world traveling pro riders.

Everyone is different though. I found what worked for me.

I also learned that if I got super frustrated and mad, it made it impossible for me to progress. I think I threw my bike once and broke my bars doing so. Never through my bike again. smile

All in all, it's about having a good time. so.. have fun while you can. one day you'll be too old and broke off to do what you want. wink

|

9/27/2018 5:12 PM

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

The question is, did you throw your bike after getting mad at yourself for throwing your bike?

|