converting.

Related:
Create New Tag

8/13/2009 8:49 AM

so this isnt a bmx related topic. but it is bike related.

i have a few mtn bike sitting in my back yard. they arnt in bad condition at all but, after watching the gear guide that just came out, they made sense that a cruiser is a good idea.

i cannot stand mtn bikes or atleast muti geared bikes. how hard would it be to convert a mountian bike to a crusier?

right now all i can think of i would need to trade out its handle bars , maybe spoket and take off the stupid gears in the back.

i was thinking about when i go to 25/9 gearing to take my old freewheel and mount it to the whatever size rim would that worK?

|

8/13/2009 9:39 AM

Since 'fixies' are pretty hip with the hipsters right now, I'm pretty sure you can get a kit dealie that fits on your cassette to make it a single, fixed gear. You can also just pull all the cogs off the cassette that you don't want and put 'blanks' in their places, I believe. Put a single gear up front first so you can get the position of the single driver on the cassette dialed.
I doubt your BMX freewheel will fit on any of the mountain bike hubs, they are typically cassette-type hubs.
Hope this helps.

|

8/13/2009 9:49 AM

youll need handlebars, new cranks up front, and like phresh said you just have to put blanks or spacers where their used to be gears. when you take your cogs off the cassette there will be spacers in between all of the gears, but youll need a bunch more.

unless you have a cheap ass mtb your bmx freewheel wont work on the hub.

i wouldnt go with 25/9 on it though, maybe 30/11

|

BMX riding Cop... Let that sink in for a minute.

8/13/2009 9:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2009 9:52 AM

ridebmxnc wrote:

youll need handlebars, new cranks up front, and like phresh said you just have to put blanks or spacers where their used to be ...more

no no no i mean when i go to 25/9 on my bmx bike. no one is going to wanna buy my pos freewheel so i was goes to take that whole hub. and lace it to the mtb rim. and trash the mtb driver / hub.

i didnt buy the mtb bikes so i have no idea how good they are lol.

|

8/13/2009 10:42 AM

ridebmxnc wrote:

youll need handlebars, new cranks up front, and like phresh said you just have to put blanks or spacers where their used to be ...more

kikcer2 wrote:

no no no i mean when i go to 25/9 on my bmx bike. no one is going to wanna buy my pos freewheel so i was goes to take that ...more

oh okay. it would be easier to just get blanks to fill empty cog spaces than to rebuild an entire wheel (cheaper too, b/c i'm almost 100% positive you'd need new spokes too).

|

8/13/2009 10:58 AM

ridebmxnc wrote:

kikcer2 wrote:

no no no i mean when i go to 25/9 on my bmx bike. no one is going to wanna buy my pos freewheel so i was goes to take that ...more

ridebmxnc wrote:

oh okay. it would be easier to just get blanks to fill empty cog spaces than to rebuild an entire wheel (cheaper too, b/c i'm ...more

lol yeah. well im just checking around i havent broken into the bike yet.

thats going to start a little later. but where do i get blanks or are they just spacers?

|

8/13/2009 11:03 AM

kikcer2 wrote:

ridebmxnc wrote:

oh okay. it would be easier to just get blanks to fill empty cog spaces than to rebuild an entire wheel (cheaper too, b/c i'm ...more

kikcer2 wrote:

thats going to start a little later. but where do i ...more

they go by either name... you can get them from your LBS, they'll either have them in stock or be able to order you a bunch.

|

8/13/2009 11:09 AM

ridebmxnc wrote:

kikcer2 wrote:

thats going to start a little later. but where do i ...more

ridebmxnc wrote:

they go by either name... you can get them from your LBS, they'll either have them in stock or be able to order you a bunch.

okay. ill check. i always feel werid in my LBS. mainly casue they seem to hate bmx. lol even though they are sponsering a new bmx track im my area. but they seem to only deal with crusiers and mt bikes like your kona's and that stuff.

|

8/13/2009 5:00 PM

should i go with a gear ratio a little over the standered 2.75 or under?

i know 30-11 was recomened earlier but its a freewheel so thats not possible.

i was looking at my numbers and was thinking 29-13, 38-15, or 47-17/19

which do you think would be best?

|