bar rise for height

Related:
Create New Tag

6/14/2020 12:19 PM

I want to get a pair of 4 pc bars for myself but I don't have that much experience with a bunch of different rise heights to know the difference. Im 6'2 and the bike i ordered is a 21" top tube (the last one was 20.75) and I'm looking for the right bar rise. I was looking at the stranger zefarian bars and they look super nice but I feel like 9.75 might be too big for me. I saw a thread talking about handlebar sizes and it said for my height 9.5 should be around the highest you should go. Would 9.75 be comfortable and all or should i opt for something like 9.25 or 9.5?

|

6/14/2020 1:34 PM

This totally depend on what you like personally.
If you've got a couple of spacers under your stem you can always play around with the height by moving the spacers above the stem or trying it out with a front load stem if you currently rise a top load or the other way around.

A lot of people have really strong opinions about what's right and what's shit about bar height but I'd advice you to try it out your self or try a friends bike to figure out what you like.

|

6/14/2020 2:09 PM

I’m around your height at 6’1 and 9” plus a top load (30mm rise) is what I like, then I fine tune with spacers, ideally none or a little 3mm one.

I would blind advise you a 9” or 9.25” maybe but I really depends on what you have now, what bar height and what kind of stem ?

A 9” with a topload will be height equivalent as a 10” and a frontload.
Bar height alone doesn’t mean much, especially if we add to that, different fork steerer tubes lenghts, headtube height and BB height...

|

6/14/2020 4:16 PM

It’s all personal preference. I’m 5’, 7” and ran 10” bars and a topload stem for a couple of years before moving to the 9” bars I have now.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/14/2020 4:45 PM

My short answer would be that 1/2" in bar height makes little difference, you'll get used to either height quickly. More important for bar selection is the upsweep and backsweep, as that affects wrist comfort or strain, so look at that before you buy.

Long answer is that I actually ran some engineering calcs on bar height when I thought I could afford a new bike this year, y'know, before my corona pay cut. 1/2" in bar height changes your posture / center of gravity by less than 1/4" (i.e., not much). It changes your leverage a little bit, but we're talking a few percent of body weight, depending on what position is analyzed. For example, it might be a bit easier to pull into a manual, but a bit harder to hold the manual. By my calcs, it was a few percent of body weight, or less than 10 lbs of difference in strain for a manual. So it's a measurable difference, but unless you really need to optimize it's not worth worrying about.

Here's a parametric cad model of a 6'2 rider on a 21" TT, black is 9.25 bars, red is 9.75, assuming same frame and stem setup:

Photo

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?

6/14/2020 5:01 PM

What's the tallest bars you've tried and do you have a front load stem, or a top load?

Given your height, 9.25" and a top load stem would be a good start. If that set-up feels too short I'd advise going up to 10" and seeing how that feels from there.

Like Franky said, stem rise/ stack height, steerer tube length, BB height and headset spacer height all play a roll on how tall your front end is when on the bike.

Also, as far as pro riders go... Alex Kennedy is 6'2" and he's been running 10" bars and a top load for years, so 10" bars could definitely be an option:

|

6/14/2020 5:10 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

What's the tallest bars you've tried and do you have a front load stem, or a top load?

Given your height, 9.25" and a top load stem would be a good start. If that set-up feels too short I'd advise going up to 10" and seeing how that feels from there.

Like Franky said, stem rise/ stack height, steerer tube length, BB height and headset spacer height all play a roll on how tall your front end is when on the bike.

Also, as far as pro riders go... Alex Kennedy is 6'2" and he's been running 10" bars and a top load for years, so 10" bars could definitely be an option:

Honestly I'm not too sure what the tallest bars I've tried were since this is going to be my first bike after like 2 years of not riding and back then I wasn't very knowledgable on bikes but I'm guessing they were probably like 8.75 or so but at that time I was only like 5'7 or something. I also didn't really try many different bars since no one in my city really rode bmx which sucked. I'm still growing so it wouldn't really work to use my judgement from those bars when I was way shorter.

For the stem, I can't seem to tell if its a front load or a top load. The bike I ordered is a kink cloud 2021

[url=https://us.sourcebmx.com/products/kink-cloud-bmx-bike-2021?loc=us&lang=en¤cy=usd]

Sorry to sound like a noob I don't know too much about bmx yet, but what would you think an ideal bar rise would be on that bike for someone who's my height?

|

6/14/2020 5:16 PM

MJbmx wrote:

My short answer would be that 1/2" in bar height makes little difference, you'll get used to either height quickly. More important for bar selection is the upsweep and backsweep, as that affects wrist comfort or strain, so look at that before you buy.

Long answer is that I actually ran some engineering calcs on bar height when I thought I could afford a new bike this year, y'know, before my corona pay cut. 1/2" in bar height changes your posture / center of gravity by less than 1/4" (i.e., not much). It changes your leverage a little bit, but we're talking a few percent of body weight, depending on what position is analyzed. For example, it might be a bit easier to pull into a manual, but a bit harder to hold the manual. By my calcs, it was a few percent of body weight, or less than 10 lbs of difference in strain for a manual. So it's a measurable difference, but unless you really need to optimize it's not worth worrying about.

Here's a parametric cad model of a 6'2 rider on a 21" TT, black is 9.25 bars, red is 9.75, assuming same frame and stem setup:

Photo

Wow, you're right it makes a way smaller difference than I actually thought. Coming from a mountain bike background even the smallest things made a difference so I assumed it'd be the same matter with bar rise. And yeah you're totally right about the upsweep and backsweep, I read up on that with the wrist comfort and such so I think I should pay some more attention on that end. I guess I'll just try to decide on which one I'd feel more comfortable with even tho there's such little difference.

|

6/14/2020 5:17 PM

readybmxer wrote:

It’s all personal preference. I’m 5’, 7” and ran 10” bars and a topload stem for a couple of years before moving to the 9” bars I have now.

Jeez 10" bars seem huge. I read somewhere on how that was a trend for a short while and quite a lot of people switched to it. Did you personally like it, or is it something you'd probably never go back to?

|

6/14/2020 5:29 PM

supersnivy87 wrote:

Honestly I'm not too sure what the tallest bars I've tried were since this is going to be my first bike after like 2 years of not riding and back then I wasn't very knowledgable on bikes but I'm guessing they were probably like 8.75 or so but at that time I was only like 5'7 or something. I also didn't really try many different bars since no one in my city really rode bmx which sucked. I'm still growing so it wouldn't really work to use my judgement from those bars when I was way shorter.

For the stem, I can't seem to tell if its a front load or a top load. The bike I ordered is a kink cloud 2021

[url=https://us.sourcebmx.com/products/kink-cloud-bmx-bike-2021?loc=us&lang=en¤cy=usd]

Sorry to sound like a noob I don't know too much about bmx yet, but what would you think an ideal bar rise would be on that bike for someone who's my height?

Ya man, that bike comes with 9.5" bars, a top load stem (32mm rise/ 30mm stack height) and what looks like a 15mm (a little over 1/2") headset cap.

That's about dead on for someone your height (I'm 6'3" and that's pretty much what I run).

If it feels too short, 10" bars would probably be ideal (I personally don't feel like bars over 10" are really needed, but people are free to run whatever they want).

So, I'd recommend you run those 2pc 9.5" bars for a little bit and then decide if you want to go a little bit lower, or higher, before buying new 4pc bars.

|

6/14/2020 5:35 PM

supersnivy87 wrote:

Jeez 10" bars seem huge. I read somewhere on how that was a trend for a short while and quite a lot of people switched to it. Did you personally like it, or is it something you'd probably never go back to?

10" bars have been relevant for almost a decade and aren't going away anytime soon... If anything 9.5"-10" bars are more popular now than ever. lol

|

6/14/2020 5:43 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

supersnivy87 wrote:

Bryan91 wrote:

Ya man, that bike comes with 9.5" bars, a top load stem (32mm rise/ 30mm stack height) and what looks like a 15mm (a little over 1/2") headset cap.

That's about dead on for someone your height (I'm 6'3" and that's pretty much what I run).

If it feels too short, 10" bars would probably be ideal (I personally don't feel like bars over 10" are really needed, but people are free to run whatever they want).

So, I'd recommend you run those 2pc 9.5" bars for a little bit and then decide if you want to go a little bit lower, or higher, before buying new 4pc bars.

Great idea. I'll give em around a week or two, see how that height works and make my judgement. Thanks for the help man. Quick question, what toptube size do you run? I'm gonna start with 21, ride it for awhile and if I don't like it then in a couple months I'll try to sell it or trade it for something larger

|

6/14/2020 7:57 PM

supersnivy87 wrote:

Great idea. I'll give em around a week or two, see how that height works and make my judgement. Thanks for the help man. Quick question, what toptube size do you run? I'm gonna start with 21, ride it for awhile and if I don't like it then in a couple months I'll try to sell it or trade it for something larger

I run a 21.5" TT.

As long as you don't have issues with your knees slamming your stem, or bars you should be gtg. Plenty of people that are 6'2"+ run 21" TT's.

|

6/14/2020 9:23 PM

I’m 6’2, 21.25 tt and I run 10” sunday nightshift bars. I run a 15mm dust cap on my headset, then 33mm rise Broc v2 stem. I really like the height.

|

6/15/2020 9:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/15/2020 9:38 AM

I'm 5'11 and have 8.75" bars on my bike. I think I would like taller bars. So if you decide to go higher and need someone to buy your 9.5" bars, can you give me first dibs. :-)

|

6/15/2020 11:23 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

I've ridden s&m 11s and those felt great with a front load but to tall when I swapped to a cult salvation top load but 11s with a front load feel great for reference im 5,11

|

6/15/2020 12:45 PM

KevoW wrote:

I'm 5'11 and have 8.75" bars on my bike. I think I would like taller bars. So if you decide to go higher and need someone to buy your 9.5" bars, can you give me first dibs. :-)

yeah definitely. I'm planning to sell them on this forum if I don't like em but I don't think the bike is going to come until like July 1st since I preordered it so itd take a few weeks.

[url=https://kinkbmx.com/products/rex-bars]

kink rex 9.5 bars

|

6/15/2020 1:18 PM

KevoW wrote:

supersnivy87 wrote:

yeah definitely. I'm planning to sell them on this forum if I don't like em but I don't think the bike is going to come until like July 1st since I preordered it so itd take a few weeks.

[url=https://kinkbmx.com/products/rex-bars]

kink rex 9.5 bars

No worries. I'm not in any rush, just been thinking about trying bigger bars cause it feels like I might like them better. I didn't want to spring for brand new ones, so I've been keeping an eye out for second hand ones.

|

6/15/2020 1:57 PM

readybmxer wrote:

supersnivy87 wrote:

Bryan91 wrote:

10" bars have been relevant for almost a decade and aren't going away anytime soon... If anything 9.5"-10" bars are more popular now than ever. lol

Yeah, this is the way I see it as well.

I ran a super tall setup because I come from a scooter background and wanted a bike to feel like one. It was purely function > fashion, and looking back, having 10" bars on my tiny frame was dumb looking. But now that I switched to the 9" bars, everything seems more comfortable now that I have a little more technique on my side. 10" rise is something I'd never go back to.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/16/2020 6:45 AM

supersnivy87 wrote:

I want to get a pair of 4 pc bars for myself but I don't have that much experience with a bunch of different rise heights to know the difference. Im 6'2 and the bike i ordered is a 21" top tube (the last one was 20.75) and I'm looking for the right bar rise. I was looking at the stranger zefarian bars and they look super nice but I feel like 9.75 might be too big for me. I saw a thread talking about handlebar sizes and it said for my height 9.5 should be around the highest you should go. Would 9.75 be comfortable and all or should i opt for something like 9.25 or 9.5?

It honestly doesnt matter. I am 5' 10". I run 10" Bars and after about two weeks i was completely used to it after having 8.25" before. I like a bigger bike feeling. Its all in what you get used too.

|

6/16/2020 1:05 PM

I'm 5'8" and riding bars with a RISE of 8.25″ feels the most natural. For me, Inverts, turndowns, barspins feel the best with that size. Ive tried 10" Rise too but I can't get things as clicked with 10" rise. 30" wide bars feel a bit too wide and always get caught in my shirt while doing inverts and the bars hit my knee whenever spin them. that being said you will get used to almost anything you ride.. . In time

|

6/16/2020 1:30 PM

I'm 6'7 I ride 21.5 tt s and m tall boy frame with a and m perfect tens bars cut down to 27.5 on a shredneck stem Ive been thinking about going up to the 11 in rise bars. I know a lot of people look at 10 inch and up bars as to tall or a trend type thing but for tall people they actually help before the tens I was on 7.5 rise bars imagine that massive Jump up in height. However it was amazing for me way more control and stability and way better leverage.

|

treebmxer_222

6/16/2020 7:59 PM

jordonbmxer wrote:

I'm 6'7 I ride 21.5 tt s and m tall boy frame with a and m perfect tens bars cut down to 27.5 on a shredneck stem Ive been thinking about going up to the 11 in rise bars. I know a lot of people look at 10 inch and up bars as to tall or a trend type thing but for tall people they actually help before the tens I was on 7.5 rise bars imagine that massive Jump up in height. However it was amazing for me way more control and stability and way better leverage.

Jeez man and I thought I was somewhat big for bmx haha. For 10 inch bars I meant people who are like 5'10 and below for it being kind of silly, for you it perfectly makes sense and even 11 would make sense because of how tall you are. And 7.5 bars with your height seems like a back ache. did it ever give you any trouble like back pains or anything or was it comfortable running short bars as a taller dude?

|

6/16/2020 8:00 PM

jordonbmxer wrote:

I can understand someone your height wanting 11's, but why not try out a TL stem with your 10's first?

I grew up riding FL stems and actually prefer them over TL's, but at my height it just doesn't make sense look wise (I'd need 10.5"-11" bars). Not to mention the flex of a 2pc 11" bar.

@surrealsickness: I tried sticking with 9" bars for over a year and no matter how much I rode the back of my neck would be extremely sore after riding for an hour.

If you look at the heads on the diagram that MJbmx made. You'll notice that the black head is more pointed down than the red one. Back when I rode my 9's I basically had to tilt my head as far back as it could go to look forward and that ended up killing the back of my neck.

Increasing my bar height by that 1/2" made it, so that I didn't have to tilt my head all the way back just to look forward anymore. Absolutely a night and day difference.

I could see it not being that noticeable for someone around your height, or shorter though.

|

6/16/2020 8:01 PM

surrealsickness wrote:

I'm 5'8" and riding bars with a RISE of 8.25″ feels the most natural. For me, Inverts, turndowns, barspins feel the best with that size. Ive tried 10" Rise too but I can't get things as clicked with 10" rise. 30" wide bars feel a bit too wide and always get caught in my shirt while doing inverts and the bars hit my knee whenever spin them. that being said you will get used to almost anything you ride.. . In time

How much would you say bar height plays a role in doing barspins? I know that bar width can be a pretty big deal for some people doing barspins but how much would rise effect because I haven't really tried many different bars to know.

|

6/16/2020 10:03 PM

surrealsickness wrote:

You did what everybody should, you found out what's best for you. I see hundreds of people riding not what's best for them, but riding what's 'trendy'.
I saw some guy once, he was riding a very tall top load stem with a 9,5" or 10" tall bars, but the dude was short, like 5'5" or something! It was ridiculous, he looked like he was riding a harley davidson, you know? While standing up on the pedals!!
I'm 5'11", and I love front load stems, so to me, a 9" rise works perfectly. But I know that if I were to switch to a top load, I'd have to get something like a 8.75" or even a 8.5" rise, depending on the stem's rise.

|

6/17/2020 2:41 AM

jordonbmxer wrote:

Bryan91 wrote:

I can understand someone your height wanting 11's, but why not try out a TL stem with your 10's first?

I grew up riding FL stems and actually prefer them over TL's, but at my height it just doesn't make sense look wise (I'd need 10.5"-11" bars). Not to mention the flex of a 2pc 11" bar.

@surrealsickness: I tried sticking with 9" bars for over a year and no matter how much I rode the back of my neck would be extremely sore after riding for an hour.

If you look at the heads on the diagram that MJbmx made. You'll notice that the black head is more pointed down than the red one. Back when I rode my 9's I basically had to tilt my head as far back as it could go to look forward and that ended up killing the back of my neck.

Increasing my bar height by that 1/2" made it, so that I didn't have to tilt my head all the way back just to look forward anymore. Absolutely a night and day difference.

I could see it not being that noticeable for someone around your height, or shorter though.

I've just had front load stems for close to 15 years now so idk how tens and a topload would feel and I don't know anyone locally that has eleven in bars so I didn't know they flex alot. And what kinda surprised me although a little off topic I got my perfect tens bars in December of 2012 and I haven't bent or cracked them. Which to me is kind of impressive.
@supersnivy87 they did kill my back I rode them from Feb 2011 to December 2012 and it was bad although I got used to it. Once I switched to tens I know I wont go down to anything smaller then them ever again

|

treebmxer_222

6/17/2020 7:21 AM

Forget diagrams and theories. Bigger bars make lifting the front end easier, and can be easier to loop out. How much so depends on the rest of the bikes geo. Depending on your height and riding style, everything comes into it really so it is pretty much experimental until you have tried different options to figure out what you like.

At your height though, 9.5 or taller is pretty common depending on your stem and headset spacer setup.

|

6/18/2020 9:48 AM

You just gotta try and see what you like. Trial and error. I was trying different bars for a while until I felt like I settled on the ones I got for now. But they may change someday too. LOL.

I find taller bars comfy. Even if I am short and some people think it might not be necessary for my height. I'm old. I like feeling upright. But I also feel like there is good reason to go shorter when doing tricks. Something about being able to crouch down more before a hop. Or center of gravity being a little lower might be good.

You just do what feels right to you. Downside is you might have to buy a few sets to figure it out. And then there is the flipside where you can get used to almost anything, within reason. Like I don't think I want to even try to get used to 7" bars. Just seems way too low to me. But I mean anything between 8-10" would probably feel like home after riding them for a period of time.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

6/18/2020 1:28 PM

I just downsized from 9.3 to 9" and man, that was such a great move! I was having trouble with tuck no handers ever since I got the 9.3s. The bars would hit my abs pretty much every single time I did them. Put the niner on and got my three tucks and everything back INSTANTLY. So yes, size matters, things can be too big and hurt. Now I can prove it from a man's standpoint as well! 😂

I'm 5.11? Whatever 180cm is. Toploader, gyro and quite a high dustcap. I switched from 8.6 to 9 couple of years ago to make room for turndowns because of the brake lever and it definitely also felt better for barspins.

|