covid19 --- are skateparks safe

Related:
Create New Tag

5/17/2020 12:20 PM

are skateparks a safe place to be right now?

no contact sport, no shared equipment, one person on a ramp at a time, open air: seems pretty safe
...aside from the temptation to sit down on a ledge next to your friends and share a joint, or accept a nice beer someone cracked open for you

one of my roommates is freaking out over CV and i just got home (i bug'd out to the trails for the past 2months) and she aint gonna want me going to the skatepark seeing my friends using the logic that it is currently not safe or okay for people to be visiting their friend's houses and meeting up at bars. she sees hanging out at the skatepark as the same thing /facepalm

|

wallride a bus everyday

5/17/2020 1:34 PM

Who knows? Probably best to stay away from people and to wear a mask to minimize you spreading your droplets to other people and encourage other people to do the same. Remember a mask really isn't for YOU it is for EVERYONE else around you.

Photo

|

5/17/2020 1:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/17/2020 1:47 PM

They’ve opened up malls but not schools, the parks are open, but not skateparks within parks. It’s a little interesting down here haha. Plus we’re at “safer at home” order until the end of June. Big sad. Few things are opening up logically.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

5/17/2020 1:56 PM

Bahh.

|

5/17/2020 2:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/17/2020 2:32 PM

They need to open everything up , let this thing run its course , natural selection needs to do its job. This is how evolution of the human species works , pandemic comes through once a 100 years and cleans house on the weakest parts of the gene pool then we evolve up from there

i work in a hospital and if seniors are getting smoked by it there’s a large chance the regular flu would have killed them anyways, in theory if us heath care workers do our jobs and do them well they should be protected , my hospital has had zero cases with zero deaths , it sounds like this thing is doing a number on the morbidly obese too , if you are shoving 5 to 6 thousand calories down your throat at McDonald’s 3 time’s a day you are making bad life choices and covid-19 should not be slapped on your death certificate like a band aid to cover up the real problem of obesity when you where headed for a heart attack due to bad dietary choices before you caught the Kung flu any ways , I smoke and drink so there’s a chance it could take me out , fuck it life’s a dice roll , id rather live fast die young and free then be some sissy cowering down in my house scared to do anything for the left wing globalist agenda trying to take everyone’s rights and freedoms away in exchange for their promise of a little more safety , those pussy liberals have been trying to bubble wrap and safety everything up for far too long , like George Carlin said “ take a fucken Chance”

|

5/17/2020 2:32 PM

yeah but you gotta respect that there are others around you that do not want to get sick

|

wallride a bus everyday

5/17/2020 2:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/17/2020 3:03 PM

buttmeate wrote:

yeah but you gotta respect that there are others around you that do not want to get sick

No I really don’t
That’s the beauty of living in a capitalist free market democracy , there’s 7.5 billion people on the earth people got sick and died before this started , didn’t care then don’t care now , you gotta look out for number 1 in life , life’s not fair or easy , if I where a restaurant owner I wouldn’t make a 100% peanut free menu because some people have peanut allergies , fuck their peanut allergies , order something without peanuts

What your saying is like saying “we’re going to ban guns and drunk driving” and magically those issues disappear , unfortunately that’s not the way the world works

|

5/17/2020 2:49 PM

I don't want to debate the stupidity of our response to Covid vs the stupidity of no response here. I'll just say that with reasonable distancing, anything outdoors is way safer than anything indoors from a virus standpoint. Having roommates might change things though. Is our fun worth their shared risk?

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?

5/17/2020 8:01 PM

BigMeanPunk wrote:

Who knows? Probably best to stay away from people and to wear a mask to minimize you spreading your droplets to other people and encourage other people to do the same. Remember a mask really isn't for YOU it is for EVERYONE else around you.

Photo

this is misleading becuase that assumes their mask(pants) contains all the aerosol'd virus in their breath(pee). the offender's masks only inhibits large droplets from flying far distances.

take a puff of a cigarette and exhale it through cloth. youll see the cloud of smoke still passes through, youll also notice it doesnt travel as far and as quickly as without the mask, so it still does work to hinder the spread of the virus when breathing and speaking BUT it doesnt stop your metaphorical pee vapor from getting everywhere

and from what i understand, the droplets of spit contain much higher viral load/concentration than just the aerosol'd breath. both have the ability to infect you though.

|

wallride a bus everyday

5/17/2020 8:03 PM

"What your saying is like saying “we’re going to ban guns and drunk driving” and magically those issues disappear , unfortunately that’s not the way the world works " -eskimo jay,
ban urban assualt vehicles
drunk driving has already been banned.

|

wallride a bus everyday

5/17/2020 9:20 PM

eskimojay wrote:

They need to open everything up , let this thing run its course , natural selection needs to do its job. This is how evolution of the human species works , pandemic comes through once a 100 years and cleans house on the weakest parts of the gene pool then we evolve up from there

i work in a hospital and if seniors are getting smoked by it there’s a large chance the regular flu would have killed them anyways, in theory if us heath care workers do our jobs and do them well they should be protected , my hospital has had zero cases with zero deaths , it sounds like this thing is doing a number on the morbidly obese too , if you are shoving 5 to 6 thousand calories down your throat at McDonald’s 3 time’s a day you are making bad life choices and covid-19 should not be slapped on your death certificate like a band aid to cover up the real problem of obesity when you where headed for a heart attack due to bad dietary choices before you caught the Kung flu any ways , I smoke and drink so there’s a chance it could take me out , fuck it life’s a dice roll , id rather live fast die young and free then be some sissy cowering down in my house scared to do anything for the left wing globalist agenda trying to take everyone’s rights and freedoms away in exchange for their promise of a little more safety , those pussy liberals have been trying to bubble wrap and safety everything up for far too long , like George Carlin said “ take a fucken Chance”

Imagine going to school for years, just to get into a career that is meant to help others, but also possessing absolutely zero empathetic traits.

|

Come back with a warrant.

5/17/2020 9:34 PM

eskimojay wrote:

They need to open everything up , let this thing run its course , natural selection needs to do its job. This is how evolution of the human species works , pandemic comes through once a 100 years and cleans house on the weakest parts of the gene pool then we evolve up from there

i work in a hospital and if seniors are getting smoked by it there’s a large chance the regular flu would have killed them anyways, in theory if us heath care workers do our jobs and do them well they should be protected , my hospital has had zero cases with zero deaths , it sounds like this thing is doing a number on the morbidly obese too , if you are shoving 5 to 6 thousand calories down your throat at McDonald’s 3 time’s a day you are making bad life choices and covid-19 should not be slapped on your death certificate like a band aid to cover up the real problem of obesity when you where headed for a heart attack due to bad dietary choices before you caught the Kung flu any ways , I smoke and drink so there’s a chance it could take me out , fuck it life’s a dice roll , id rather live fast die young and free then be some sissy cowering down in my house scared to do anything for the left wing globalist agenda trying to take everyone’s rights and freedoms away in exchange for their promise of a little more safety , those pussy liberals have been trying to bubble wrap and safety everything up for far too long , like George Carlin said “ take a fucken Chance”

Dad_Im_Pregnant wrote:

Imagine going to school for years, just to get into a career that is meant to help others, but also possessing absolutely zero empathetic traits.

No skool he learned eveeything on mom and pop’s homestead

|

13 years old

5/17/2020 11:12 PM

buttmeate wrote:

"What your saying is like saying “we’re going to ban guns and drunk driving” and magically those issues disappear , unfortunately that’s not the way the world works " -eskimo jay,
ban urban assualt vehicles
drunk driving has already been banned.

You should watch Ronny chieng Asian man destroys America , I may be an Eskimo but I do have many Asian values , one of them being I don’t give a fuck about any of you , and none of you should give a fuck about me , Life , I’m in it for success and prestige , and if the cost is running people over for it , so be it , creates a stronger species

|

5/17/2020 11:49 PM

buttmeate wrote:

"What your saying is like saying “we’re going to ban guns and drunk driving” and magically those issues disappear , unfortunately that’s not the way the world works " -eskimo jay,
ban urban assualt vehicles
drunk driving has already been banned.

eskimojay wrote:

You should watch Ronny chieng Asian man destroys America , I may be an Eskimo but I do have many Asian values , one of them being I don’t give a fuck about any of you , and none of you should give a fuck about me , Life , I’m in it for success and prestige , and if the cost is running people over for it , so be it , creates a stronger species

Smoke a cigarette and get your head out of your ass. You aren’t charles bukowskis.

|

13 years old

5/18/2020 12:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/18/2020 12:26 AM

buttmeate wrote:

"What your saying is like saying “we’re going to ban guns and drunk driving” and magically those issues disappear , unfortunately that’s not the way the world works " -eskimo jay,
ban urban assualt vehicles
drunk driving has already been banned.

eskimojay wrote:

You should watch Ronny chieng Asian man destroys America , I may be an Eskimo but I do have many Asian values , one of them being I don’t give a fuck about any of you , and none of you should give a fuck about me , Life , I’m in it for success and prestige , and if the cost is running people over for it , so be it , creates a stronger species

Krooked wrote:

Smoke a cigarette and get your head out of your ass. You aren’t charles bukowskis.

give me a cigarette and I’ll still whoop your ass in a race , going to need to give your mom a ten lap
Head start before I Rip her up

|

5/18/2020 2:17 AM

Masks don't do shit but risk your own health, ride your bike and forget the covid hype.

|

5/18/2020 4:41 AM

streethack wrote:

Masks don't do shit but risk your own health, ride your bike and forget the covid hype.

[Citation needed]

|

5/18/2020 5:14 AM

covid-19 isn’t fucking real LOL
The skateparks and everywhere else has been safe this entire time!

|

Testimony and apologies





I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.






instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

5/18/2020 5:32 AM

buttmeate wrote:

this is misleading becuase that assumes their mask(pants) contains all the aerosol'd virus in their breath(pee). the offender's masks only inhibits large droplets from flying far distances.

take a puff of a cigarette and exhale it through cloth. youll see the cloud of smoke still passes through, youll also notice it doesnt travel as far and as quickly as without the mask, so it still does work to hinder the spread of the virus when breathing and speaking BUT it doesnt stop your metaphorical pee vapor from getting everywhere

and from what i understand, the droplets of spit contain much higher viral load/concentration than just the aerosol'd breath. both have the ability to infect you though.

TO THE OP: Outdoor parks themselves are pretty safe, BUT if you dump it where some kid fired out a loogie and he was carrying it, you could get it if it gets into your system (on your hands then you touch your face etc). Same with the droplets in the air, and heavy breathing causes more of those fellas to shoot around.

There are masks that actually hold in a LOT-it depends on the type, materials used and so on. My MIL made some with a legit waterproof fabric-like you could pour water in, doesn't soak through at all, and it would stop pretty much everything you fire out as far as "going through the mask". But any kind of barrier will SLOW DOWN and even STOP a lot of the stuff you could sneeze/cough/breathe out. So they aren't so much for you as they are for others. If that wasn't a legit thing, hospitals wouldn't use them for surgeries/procedures etc.

If you go to a park when it is quiet, sure, probably fine. I plan to hit my local this week for a bit one morning, when no one is there. This park pretty much never has anyone at it. I have a wife and kid with conditions and they could have a worse time with this thing, BUT I also know that we need to get out and build up immunity to some extent. Staying in your home and never leaving would actually weaken your immune system over time as you are not fighting anything off really. Dirt, touching stuff etc helps you keep that going and building up your immune system.

There's no perfect answer. Either places open and people will start to get it and/or die and likely overwhelm many hospitals etc, or keep things locked down and people will be evicted/starve/run out of money and get desperate/get it/die.

The goal of the shelter in place was to help hospitals handle the waves of people getting sick, not stop it in it's tracks-I am sick of people arguing that it was to stop it as a whole. NO, IT WAS NOT. People who work hospitals etc that have no cases/very few are pretty lucky. My nearby city of about 65,000 people has a couple hundred Covid sick people in the hospital, and that county was the #1 fastest growing case count in the US, largely due to people who live 7+ to a 2 bedroom apartment, and language barriers where there are not enough interpreters to determine who they have been around/advise they need to just kinda hammer it out at home etc, so it spread like wildfire in a dry season.

I also know a few people who have had it, minor allergy symptoms were their complaints. I also know people with family who have been in hospitals. There is no legit rhyme or reason to this thing hitting people aside from old folks are more likely to have a bad time. But there are VERY healthy people who are athletes etc who get absolutely WRECKED.

You can either hope it doesn't cause you or anyone you care about any hospital time or death when you get it and say open the world, or slow things down some with simple measures to help other people.

Also, I have seen people be fired for comments like Eskimojays, so be careful how you speak. Your comments are very much against any Hippocratic Oath you would have sworn to with medical training, and could get your licensing removed.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/18/2020 11:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2020 2:07 AM

If you go to the grocery store......you might as well go to the skatepark

|

5/19/2020 12:18 AM

eskimojay wrote:

No I really don’t
That’s the beauty of living in a capitalist free market democracy , there’s 7.5 billion people on the earth people got sick and died before this started , didn’t care then don’t care now , you gotta look out for number 1 in life , life’s not fair or easy , if I where a restaurant owner I wouldn’t make a 100% peanut free menu because some people have peanut allergies , fuck their peanut allergies , order something without peanuts

What your saying is like saying “we’re going to ban guns and drunk driving” and magically those issues disappear , unfortunately that’s not the way the world works

Last I checked, most countries have done great efforts to inform on the dangers of drunk driving and to sanction people doing it, and it has actually led to significant decreases in driving accidents. So yes, prevention and sanctions do work, be it for drunk driving or for the Covid19.

It also works with guns too, but I'm sure some sensitive "my 2nd amendment!!!" 'muricans do not want to hear about it.

|

5/19/2020 12:56 AM

Fatalize wrote:

Last I checked, most countries have done great efforts to inform on the dangers of drunk driving and to sanction people doing it, and it has actually led to significant decreases in driving accidents. So yes, prevention and sanctions do work, be it for drunk driving or for the Covid19.

It also works with guns too, but I'm sure some sensitive "my 2nd amendment!!!" 'muricans do not want to hear about it.

Imagine willingly accepting oppression and thinking "it's ok, politicians know what's best for me"

|

5/19/2020 1:37 AM

HtownGetDown wrote:

Imagine willingly accepting oppression and thinking "it's ok, politicians know what's best for me"

I haven't seen many riots over your drinking age of 21, or many other idiotic topics like Kinder eggs being banned, so I'm sure you're also "willingly accepting oppression", as you say.

|

5/19/2020 2:12 AM

The measure of a our success as a society is how well we care for our most vulnerable. We should always be striving to do that better than we did yesterday. This thread is fuckin wild.

Anyway, as for OP’s original question, I think skateparks can be safe as long as you and those around you are taking sensible measures. I’ve been riding at sunrise and touching nothing but my bike and drink bottle to try and minimise chances. But I’m immunocompromised so I’m more cautious than you may have to be.

|

5/19/2020 2:25 AM

eskimojay wrote:

No I really don’t
That’s the beauty of living in a capitalist free market democracy , there’s 7.5 billion people on the earth people got sick and died before this started , didn’t care then don’t care now , you gotta look out for number 1 in life , life’s not fair or easy , if I where a restaurant owner I wouldn’t make a 100% peanut free menu because some people have peanut allergies , fuck their peanut allergies , order something without peanuts

What your saying is like saying “we’re going to ban guns and drunk driving” and magically those issues disappear , unfortunately that’s not the way the world works

Fatalize wrote:

Last I checked, most countries have done great efforts to inform on the dangers of drunk driving and to sanction people doing it, and it has actually led to significant decreases in driving accidents. So yes, prevention and sanctions do work, be it for drunk driving or for the Covid19.

It also works with guns too, but I'm sure some sensitive "my 2nd amendment!!!" 'muricans do not want to hear about it.

HtownGetDown wrote:

Imagine willingly accepting oppression and thinking "it's ok, politicians know what's best for me"

Imagine thinking I know better than scientists.

|

5/19/2020 3:38 AM

biodiversity wrote:

Imagine thinking I know better than scientists.

Isaac Newton died from ingesting mercury. Why would I trust stupid science bitches?

|

5/19/2020 3:51 AM

It's okay to go to the supermarket and big department stores with hundreds of others at any one time. But not okay for the local small cafe to open and serve less than 100 customers in a day.

And some think an outdoor skatepark is an issue? But it's okay to ride around the streets and pass by joggers panting huffing and coughing while they make their way along shared paths within close range of others?

Don't believe the hype.

|

5/19/2020 4:05 AM

Lol five thumbs down on my last comment you know what that means 5 people are mentally the fuck retarded 😆😂

|

Testimony and apologies





I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.






instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

5/19/2020 4:21 AM

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

Lol five thumbs down on my last comment you know what that means 5 people are mentally the fuck retarded 😆😂

Or you created 5 other accounts to talk to yourself.


My vote is on that.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/19/2020 5:03 AM

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

Lol five thumbs down on my last comment you know what that means 5 people are mentally the fuck retarded 😆😂

dave lawrence wrote:

Or you created 5 other accounts to talk to yourself.


My vote is on that.

Fuck thats too much work lol

|

Testimony and apologies





I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.






instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit