crank conversion

Related:
Create New Tag

1/30/2009 12:37 PM

is it easy to swapa 1 piece crank to a 3 piece

do 1 piece cranks have a standard bb size? and what is it?

what a good cheap 3 piece cranks?

|

I follow my own style, because all the others suck...

1/30/2009 2:26 PM

maybe get wombolts,they are on sale now
and what frame do you ride?
i think you should be able to use youre bb

|

1/30/2009 2:40 PM

1 piece i think only come on american bottom brackets. and those are rather easy to install.. 2 cups and a few spacers. make sure they fit ur spindle size on the 3 piece.. and you should be good to go

|

i run this shit

1/30/2009 5:51 PM

spl-bmx wrote:

maybe get wombolts,they are on sale now
and what frame do you ride?
i think you should be able to use youre bb

1 piece and 3 piece are different types of bearings typically. He will need a new BB.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/30/2009 6:15 PM

profile FTW

|

ridaz gotta ride

1/30/2009 6:21 PM

are primo powerbites any good for the price? they are the cheapest i can get atm .

|

1/30/2009 6:24 PM

Primo Powerbites are really good, They are solid and last a long time, just make sure that they have steel pedal inserts. The real old ones didn't. Fucked me over once...

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/30/2009 8:29 PM

anyone else got some info that may help? oh ye i have a redline romp frame(unfortunately)

|

1/30/2009 8:38 PM

your one piece crank most likely has an American BB. Go to danscomp.com to check out some cranks. The cheapest 3 piece is like 89.99 or something so you might as well just spend a good 120 on the crank and another 25 on a bb kit. 19mm 48 spline cranks are compatible with the most sprockets(usually soled with 22mm bore with 19mm spacer) and replacement spindles. These consist of the eastern 720 and pro's, plus the stolen team, redline device, profile, and a few more. Pinch bolt cranks are cool for trails and a few of these models are cheaper but these pinch bolts can get stuck on when the head of the pinch bolt is damaged from grinding. The flip side of this is they are easy to remove or install. L8

|

Now don't quote me on this one...

1/30/2009 8:52 PM

I go by Lo Fi wrote:

your one piece crank most likely has an American BB. Go to danscomp.com to check out some cranks. The cheapest 3 piece is like 89.99 or something so you might as well just spend a good 120 on the crank and another 25 on a bb kit. 19mm 48 spline cranks are compatible with the most sprockets(usually soled with 22mm bore with 19mm spacer) and replacement spindles. These consist of the eastern 720 and pro's, plus the stolen team, redline device, profile, and a few more. Pinch bolt cranks are cool for trails and a few of these models are cheaper but these pinch bolts can get stuck on when the head of the pinch bolt is damaged from grinding. The flip side of this is they are easy to remove or install. L8

thanks man some good info, except i have no dons comp in nz, and the nzd conversions of those prices inc postage gets up to around 400 bucks, and over here the cheapest crankset is about 210 buks and 80 fo an american bb set, so its pretty gay

|

1/30/2009 9:00 PM

ok i work at a bike shop so trust my word

1pc cranks have an american sized bb also known as pro sized
some 3 pc cranks use american

the best way to go for your bike to get light, strong and affordable crank set up will be

a sealed bottom bracket
http://www.danscomp.com/456007.php?cat=PARTS

and a nice cheap set of cranks
http://www.danscomp.com/452110.php?cat=PARTS

those premium cranks are some of the lightest and cheapest cranks you can buy
not to mention ive never had a problem with any premium product

let me know if you have any more questions or need help with install

|

1/31/2009 12:16 AM

bmxxxlykewhoa118 wrote:

ok i work at a bike shop so trust my word

1pc cranks have an american sized bb also known as pro sized
some 3 pc cranks use american

the best way to go for your bike to get light, strong and affordable crank set up will be

a sealed bottom bracket
http://www.danscomp.com/456007.php?cat=PARTS

and a nice cheap set of cranks
http://www.danscomp.com/452110.php?cat=PARTS

those premium cranks are some of the lightest and cheapest cranks you can buy
not to mention ive never had a problem with any premium product

let me know if you have any more questions or need help with install

seeing as you seem to know what ur on about do you know if i can swap a standard headset bearing to some kind of sealed one?

|

1/31/2009 12:19 AM

I go by Lo Fi wrote:

i ate jesus wrote:

thanks man some good info, except i have no dons comp in nz, and the nzd conversions of those prices inc postage gets up to around 400 bucks, and over here the cheapest crankset is about 210 buks and 80 fo an american bb set, so its pretty gay

danscomp ships worldwide

|

Bikes. Cameras. Cars. Beer. NYx845

1/31/2009 12:23 AM

I go by Lo Fi wrote:

i ate jesus wrote:

Ressler711 wrote:

danscomp ships worldwide

at a price, which is expensive

|

1/31/2009 12:28 AM

just look around on like ebay and stuff any local things.. if ur not looking to buy cranks thats are super good i suggest u buy a used pair. also when u switch to 3 piece u need 9/16 pedals so the ones from ur 1 piece wont fit didnt know if anyone told u that, but just get like ody pcs cheap and good,.

|

i run this shit

1/31/2009 12:31 AM

Pucc wrote:

just look around on like ebay and stuff any local things.. if ur not looking to buy cranks thats are super good i suggest u buy a used pair. also when u switch to 3 piece u need 9/16 pedals so the ones from ur 1 piece wont fit didnt know if anyone told u that, but just get like ody pcs cheap and good,.

yeah i sort of guessed about the pedal thing, which is gay coz i just got a new set about 10 days ago, oh well they cheap enough and ill probs get some white ones to go with the new colours of ma bike

|

1/31/2009 12:33 AM

if you spend a certain amount its free shipping

|

Bikes. Cameras. Cars. Beer. NYx845

1/31/2009 12:36 AM

ya i dont really like the pedal thing either. but like im saying if your not looking to ride these cranks long. or much just look for like second hand cranks.. just not too beat up

|

i run this shit

1/31/2009 12:36 AM

Ressler711 wrote:

if you spend a certain amount its free shipping

thats only national shipping

|

1/31/2009 12:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/31/2009 12:42 AM

Pucc wrote:

ya i dont really like the pedal thing either. but like im saying if your not looking to ride these cranks long. or much just look for like second hand cranks.. just not too beat up

2nd hand is a good idea aye, but first i cant find any in NZ on our national version of Ebay, and secondly, as cheap as i am, i absolutely hate second hand stuff for some reason, when i have stuff its not mine, not what some other guy has rubbed his sweaty legs all over, i dunno its just me

|

1/31/2009 12:43 AM

its a crank man hah not a seat.. no sweaty balls have touched them. i hope at least but i got my first set of 3 piece off craigslist.. i payed 20 and they where like ridden 2 times.. so practically new. and i still have them they held up good

|

i run this shit

1/31/2009 12:52 AM

mean, shit is so expensive over here bro, this is a site that i use:www.revolutionnz.com

|

1/31/2009 1:00 AM

shit bro 130 for bars.. like how much is a normal job pay over there?

|

i run this shit

1/31/2009 1:08 AM

oh, about the same as u guys, prob average is like 20-25 and hour, best work ive had is standing on a tractor trailer and stacking hay bails that get lifted by a conveyor and got 15 bucks an hour in the hand but that didnt last very long coz i went away for some of hay season, but thats not rewally relevant

|

1/31/2009 1:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/31/2009 1:12 AM

how much are lumberjacks over there? thats what i want real bad but 1st i gotta replace the cranmk which will end up close to $300 and do some other stuff

|

1/31/2009 1:13 PM

|

1/31/2009 1:15 PM

|

1/31/2009 2:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/31/2009 2:31 PM

bmxfosho wrote:

|

1/31/2009 7:59 PM

i ate jesus wrote:

seeing as you seem to know what ur on about do you know if i can swap a standard headset bearing to some kind of sealed one?

You could get a sealed headset, but you cant just swap bearings. You have to replace the bearing cups too.

I would suggest just riding what you have until you get a new frame, then get one with an integrated headtube (no bearing cups, the bearings rest in the frame, cleaner look etc). The integrated headsets are sealed, so you would just need to get one of those.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura