crank seems to slide on spindle

Related:
Create New Tag

1/7/2014 9:11 PM

Hey all

I have a mongoose chamber 2013 with a 3 piece crank thr bike was running super smooth until yesterday I put alot of force on the non drive side crank and it slipped around the spindle now I cannot work out a way for the crank to stay in the place I want it to be any suggestions please!! Greatly appreciated

Adam

|

1/7/2014 9:18 PM

sounds like your splines are fucked up, pics?

|

1/7/2014 9:28 PM

Here are some photos

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

1/7/2014 9:30 PM

Jesus christ, your crank arm's splines are completely gone just about. it looks like your spindle is fine but you need a new crank arm, and if that one looks like that, you probably need to replace the other one too.

What happened was somehow the splines in the crank arm wore down & now it has nothing to grab on the spindle

|

1/7/2014 9:31 PM

Looks like theres no splines in your crank arm! Holy shit! I dont know how you managed that, but I would call the manufacturer and send them that picture and tell them what happened. If for whatever reason they dont replace the crank arm, look into a Profile Racing replacement arm.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/7/2014 9:34 PM

Oh okay thanks heaps I was really confused because it just seemed to happen all at once thanks alot

|

1/7/2014 9:35 PM

Any cranks you would recommend?

|

1/7/2014 9:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/7/2014 9:42 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Looks like theres no splines in your crank arm! Holy shit! I dont know how you managed that, but I would call the manufacturer and send them that picture and tell them what happened. If for whatever reason they dont replace the crank arm, look into a Profile Racing replacement arm.

You can buy just the arms for Profile cranks here but you could also just buy a whole new set like these Redline cranks that have a pretty good rep, for about the same price. Check your other crank arm and see if it's messed up before you buy all new cranks though

|

1/7/2014 9:42 PM

AdzyB wrote:

Any cranks you would recommend?

check my post above, I listed a cheap set unless you can dish out some more money for better cranks

|

1/7/2014 10:41 PM

It's not fixable. Best get a new crankset if you have OCD like me. If you're not picky and all, just get a Profile 48-spline replacement arm like said above. Find out the length of the crank arms too.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

1/7/2014 11:42 PM

Superglue?

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨

1/8/2014 3:03 AM

I want details how you did that

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

1/8/2014 4:31 AM

Gump wrote:

I want details how you did that

he wouldnt of really done anything, it wears down over time, probably causeed by a loose cranks bolt meaning the cranks arm wasnt quite on tight enough and the vibrations from that caused the splines the wear down.

Or the manufacturer fucked up. my mate did the first one on his wtp volta

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

1/8/2014 4:46 AM

Hey yeah he is right my crank bolt failed when I first bought the bike and they blamed the manufacturer they then said it was repaired... since then the bolt loosens off a bit and I would just tightem it up when needed so I guess what eddimundo said is right and from me not addressing it ealrier its worn all the way down to the point when it slipped

|

1/8/2014 8:51 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Jesus christ, your crank arm's splines are completely gone just about. it looks like your spindle is fine but you need a new crank arm, and if that one looks like that, you probably need to replace the other one too.

What happened was somehow the splines in the crank arm wore down & now it has nothing to grab on the spindle

This!

I have actually never seen a 48 spline die like that...

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/8/2014 2:27 PM

You need all new cranks. Even the spindle looks to be pretty screwed up. Maybe look into some nicer cranks like Odyssey's. You will need a new BB tho. Odyssey's dont have splines and are pretty much perfect.

Sorry to see this happen dude. If you wanna do the ghetto route (what i would do) just weld that arm to the spindle and have the 2 piece design of cranks. Get a good welder to do it tho and make sure you line up the spines well.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/8/2014 2:35 PM

I think I will just buy a new set smile

|