cult coaster slack issue?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/21/2013 11:28 AM

I bought a cult freecoaster two days ago (first freecoaster I've ever had) but I seem to be having problems with slack. It takes at least a quater crank to engage so Im always cracking my knee of the stem. Is this amount of slack normal? The online store I purchased said that it is norma, how do people ride with that much lag just about kill myself every time I go to pedal. Anyone know how to adjust this at all or wether that much is definitely normal?

|

11/21/2013 11:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/21/2013 11:33 AM

yeah dude, that much is normal. My coaster does like a quater crank before engaging. Not exactly sure on the cult coaster but for mine you stick a 4mm in the non drive side and turn it to adjust the slack. You get used to it eventually.

|

11/21/2013 11:34 AM

my casette does about 1/8th of a crank before engaging lol

|

Bruh

11/21/2013 11:41 AM

Scenekid69 wrote:

yeah dude, that much is normal. My coaster does like a quater crank before engaging. Not exactly sure on the cult coaster but for mine you stick a 4mm in the non drive side and turn it to adjust the slack. You get used to it eventually.

Its terrifying. Its almost like learning to ride again

|

11/21/2013 11:57 AM

My question is howd you buy a coaster and not know they have that much slack? All coasters do that, and it sounds to me like you just bought it because coasters are becoming trendy. I think anybody genuinely interested in riding a coaster would at least know that much about them
. But to answer your question, you can adjust the slack to give it more or less.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/21/2013 12:22 PM

Dude, having that slack is THE ENTIRE POINT of having a coaster. Yes, you can adjust it to have less slack, but then the coaster is way more sensitive and engages really easily. The last thing you want to have happen after fakie hoping a stair set is for your hub to engage when you land. It feels terrible and can even cause you to blow up/fall.

You need to remember that the slack is there and just ease into your pedaling. You can't just slam your front foot forward the way you would with a cassette, a coaster will never be that responsive. Just give it time my dude, full slack is the way to go!

|

11/21/2013 1:01 PM

i have the cult and i love it but yeah slack takes a good week to get used to. but if you didnt know about slack, you should have never gotten one in the first place.

|

just huck it

11/21/2013 1:17 PM

Reed Reynolds wrote:

i have the cult and i love it but yeah slack takes a good week to get used to. but if you didnt know about slack, you should have never gotten one in the first place.

I knew about the slack just never riden a coaster with as much only tried a federal which had been adjusted to a small amount and was just paranoid. Getting used too it but ridden with a cassette and mega tight chain for years so is quite a change. Thats the disadvantage of living in some backward town in the middle of Scotland youre out of touch with modern technologies

|

11/21/2013 1:17 PM

Reed Reynolds wrote:

I knew about the slack just never riden a coaster with as much only tried a federal which had been adjusted to a small amount and was just paranoid. Getting used too it but ridden with a cassette and mega tight chain for years so is quite a change. Thats the disadvantage of living in some backward town in the middle of Scotland youre out of touch with modern technologies

|

11/21/2013 3:38 PM

To adjust the slack on the cult you have to pull it a part, and change the slack washers. You have to buy these they don't cme with the coaster

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

11/21/2013 4:17 PM

i never rode a coaster either. on my freecoaster i usually ride a really loose chain.

|

just huck it

11/21/2013 5:33 PM

Gump wrote:

To adjust the slack on the cult you have to pull it a part, and change the slack washers. You have to buy these they don't cme with the coaster

Might look into this later if I still feel theres too much in a couple weeks. Its shown me how dependent on bitch cranking I was

|

11/21/2013 6:31 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

My question is howd you buy a coaster and not know they have that much slack? All coasters do that, and it sounds to me like you just bought it because coasters are becoming trendy. I think anybody genuinely interested in riding a coaster would at least know that much about them
. But to answer your question, you can adjust the slack to give it more or less.

I don't think anyone really realizes how much slack they have until they actually try one. I wanted a freecoaster so bad cuz obviously theyre the shit, but as soon as I hopped on my friends for the first time I was like wtf? is every freecoaster like this? I've gotten a lot better since the year ago I rode it so I think itll be a lot easier now, but still fuck slack. Mr. Wellington sorry to say, but if you really dislike slack it might be better to just stick with cassette

|

11/21/2013 6:36 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

FEDEXdoobie wrote:

I don't think anyone really realizes how much slack they have until they actually try one. I wanted a freecoaster so bad cuz obviously theyre the shit, but as soon as I hopped on my friends for the first time I was like wtf? is every freecoaster like this? I've gotten a lot better since the year ago I rode it so I think itll be a lot easier now, but still fuck slack. Mr. Wellington sorry to say, but if you really dislike slack it might be better to just stick with cassette

beat me to it, but yeah if you cant get used to it or dislike it just hop back onto a cassette. and also bitch cranks are soo gay and look aweful imo. so a coaster helps you out there.

|

just huck it

11/21/2013 6:47 PM

Buy a low slack freecoaster when yours breaks in 1-3 months.

|

11/21/2013 6:49 PM

Also, I think there's a mod for making them as responsive as a cassette.

|