cutting fork bolt

Related:
Create New Tag

12/7/2008 2:10 PM

if i cut my fork bolt a little shorter would i have to use less spacers?

|

freecoasters are cheating!!

12/7/2008 2:18 PM

good question

|

12/7/2008 2:23 PM

anyone?

|

12/7/2008 2:25 PM

fork bolt? If there is plenty of extra thread on that bolt once it is tightened all the way down than it won't change anything. I assume you're talking about the compression bolt. If your talking about cutting the steering tube than of course you would need less spacers because your stem will be set lower. But if you are just cutting an aluminum compression bolt that I would just leave it be because aluminum is light as hell and the amount of weight you lose is POINTLESS. Plus if you cut forks to low you may not ever be able to run a gyro with those forks because you need the stem to be NOT SLAMMED to run a nice gyro set up.

|

12/7/2008 2:34 PM

04wildman wrote:

fork bolt? If there is plenty of extra thread on that bolt once it is tightened all the way down than it won't change anything. I assume you're talking about the compression bolt. If your talking about cutting the steering tube than of course you would need less spacers because your stem will be set lower. But if you are just cutting an aluminum compression bolt that I would just leave it be because aluminum is light as hell and the amount of weight you lose is POINTLESS. Plus if you cut forks to low you may not ever be able to run a gyro with those forks because you need the stem to be NOT SLAMMED to run a nice gyro set up.

yep.
Cut the steerer tube if you want to run fewer spacers. If you want to lose weight from the compression bolt, just take it off and put it in your tool box. It doesn't do anything unless you are actually adjusting your headset, because the stem is what holds things together.

|

Yes, I really live in Wyoming.

12/7/2008 2:39 PM

if you do cut that steering tube use a big pipe cutter (plumbing) and find a metal file to keep the new edge nice and smooth. You don't want an angle in that cut so be careful.

|

12/7/2008 2:47 PM

yea make sure you cut it level....or just leave it its just spacers

|

cheers to fucking your bike up....fixing it and rinse wash repeat

12/7/2008 2:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 5:51 PM

|

12/7/2008 3:04 PM

|

Yes, I really live in Wyoming.

12/7/2008 4:18 PM

montymitch wrote:

yep.
Cut the steerer tube if you want to run fewer spacers. If you want to lose weight from the compression bolt, just take it off and put it in your tool box. It doesn't do anything unless you are actually adjusting your headset, because the stem is what holds things together.

QFT

|

12/7/2008 5:28 PM

Yeah, just use it to tighten it real fast and then take it off once your done tightening the stem and you wont have to use it anymore..

|

12/7/2008 8:02 PM

or just run the spacers on to pf your stem

|

down with mini bikes