difference between pivotal and tripod seat?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/25/2015 8:31 PM

I am planning on getting a different seat when I get my new bike. I need to know the difference.

|

11/25/2015 8:36 PM

basically a tripod you have to buy a different post if you want your seat angle adjusted. with a pivotal you just loosen up a bolt in the seat, adjust angle, and tighten back down........

to sum up. GET A PIVOTAL.
and more advice get a decent length, find that butter spot and then just cut off what you dont need if you care about weight saving.... don't be one of those idiots that run their seat slammed because their post is 3 inches long.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

11/26/2015 8:09 AM

^what he said. No too long ago when bmx seats still had rails...I remember seeing guys with NO seat post and zip tied their seat to the frame lol for "weight savings"...

|

11/26/2015 8:30 AM

dkTechEthan wrote:

basically a tripod you have to buy a different post if you want your seat angle adjusted. with a pivotal you just loosen up a bolt in the seat, adjust angle, and tighten back down........

to sum up. GET A PIVOTAL.
and more advice get a decent length, find that butter spot and then just cut off what you dont need if you care about weight saving.... don't be one of those idiots that run their seat slammed because their post is 3 inches long.

This is false. You only need one post, and you adjust the angle with wedges that are included. For further adjustment, you can add small washers aswell. Tripod seats are slightly lighter than their pivotal equals and also offer a MUCH stiffer, stronger base. And imo Tripod looks far cleaner.

If you are in the market for a Seat and Seatpost, I would strongly recommend tripod. If you already have a pivotal seatpost, you are probably better off just getting a pivotal seat to go on it.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

4/10/2017 3:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2017 3:08 PM

(never mind this post I just looked at the dates and realized I'm just a tad late)

Tripods are only a thing because Pivotal has the pivotal seat style patented and pushed to get the royalties from the bike companies. So the brands had a powwow and now we have tripods.. it's always about money...

|

4/10/2017 3:10 PM

Get railed. Tripods and pivotal look terrible. And if you land heavy sitting down on a pivotal you'll snap your seat

|

4/10/2017 3:11 PM

Phew wrote:

(never mind this post I just looked at the dates and realized I'm just a tad late)

Tripods are only a thing because Pivotal has the pivotal seat style patented and pushed to get the royalties from the bike companies. So the brands had a powwow and now we have tripods.. it's always about money...

Haha, damn, I posted mine while you were editing yours.

I didn't look at the date.

But it's still kinda relevant as railed seats are making a come back

|

4/10/2017 3:22 PM

Being able to adjust the rails forward or back was always nice. I actually have my first tripod now since it came on my new whip and it's supprisingly comfortable. Before I ever sat on it I was pissed I couldn't do much in terms of adjusting but i guess I lucked out on the angle because it's right where I need it. Problem with rails is your gonna have to check eBay or something for a railed seat. The older they get the harder they'll be to find

|

4/10/2017 4:06 PM

if you land on any seat hard, you will break it.

Who is making a decent railed seat these days?

|

4/10/2017 5:02 PM

You can probably find any railed seat you could possibly want if you shopped around for anything that wasn't a bmx seat. Any other bike style still uses rails I believe

|

4/10/2017 5:10 PM

Phew wrote:

Not true information anyways.

Tripod was started and patented by fly to save weight and they also went a step further and changed the structure of the seat to make it stiffer and less prone to bending or breaking. It took a little while but finally a few other brands jumped on it and pay their royalties to Fly for the design. It's just a lighter, stiffer seat. They also tend to be more narrow than most pivotals. Just another option and they work well.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

4/10/2017 5:25 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Not true information anyways.

Tripod was started and patented by fly to save weight and they also went a step further and changed the structure of the seat to make it stiffer and less prone to bending or breaking. It took a little while but finally a few other brands jumped on it and pay their royalties to Fly for the design. It's just a lighter, stiffer seat. They also tend to be more narrow than most pivotals. Just another option and they work well.

^This

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/10/2017 6:54 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Get railed. Tripods and pivotal look terrible. And if you land heavy sitting down on a pivotal you'll snap your seat

At my heaviest (273 lbs) and NEVER snapped one landing heavy. I have however snapped a couple railed seats...when I was nearly 100 lbs lighter...

As to the brand thing-Macniel actually came up with Pivotal if I recall correctly. People loved it for the weight savings.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/10/2017 10:33 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

At my heaviest (273 lbs) and NEVER snapped one landing heavy. I have however snapped a couple railed seats...when I was nearly 100 lbs lighter...

As to the brand thing-Macniel actually came up with Pivotal if I recall correctly. People loved it for the weight savings.

I've seen a couple of snapped pivotals, if you land on the nose, you can snap it off. Usually with railed seats the rails will bend first, so you'll know it's on its way out. But more importantly, railed seats look cooler :p

Yeah, macneil invented the pivotal and didn't let anyone use it for a while.

|

4/10/2017 10:53 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Depends how hard you're landing though/where. I only weigh around 135lbs and I missed my feet on a no footed can can and landing ass straight to my seat and snapped it in the rear haha.

But yeah MacNeil came up with it but like Steve said didn't let anyone use it for awhile.

I didn't mind railed seats, but unlike Steve I thought they were a bit ugly. I think Tripod looks the cleanest, but I won't ever ride one cause I'm super picky about how my seat is angled and Tripod doesn't have that many options. So for me, pivotal all the way.

|

4/11/2017 6:17 AM

I would also prefer a railed seat as well. Never really thought I had a choice, tho everything was railed when I was first riding. My MTB addles are railed, so it is what I am used to. To me, pivotal looks ugly, cheap, and stumpy. Railed is more streamlined...but I am old...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

4/11/2017 7:15 AM

I love the pivotal seat. Plenty of strength and adjustment. I rode railed seats for years back then because that's all we had but bending rails got old after a while. If I can remember correctly primo came out with a railed seat with 9mm rails or something like that and they held up well. But I've never had an issue with a pivotal at all. And as far as weight, there can't be that much of a difference. I did see at one point people tie strapping their seats to the frame. That's insane lol

|

4/11/2017 8:43 AM

How is this still an issue? Just run whatever's cheap, readily available, won't hurt to land on and won't break easily or just pick a seat you like and go with whatever mounting system it uses.

Personally, I hate the look of railed seats and in my experience, they're very weak and need constant adjustment. Their adjustability is second to none though. Pivotal is quite nice because of the huge amount of angle adjustment but I never used anything other than a single position and the bolt comes loose over time with almost every pivotal seat I've had. Tripod is very nice because there's no fiddling with angles or anything, you can just put it on and leave it. In my case, I lucked out on the Tripod, it's just at the angle I'd normally run on a pivotal.

I've seen people break all but the Tripod seats but that's probably because they're not in common use here. Parts break, just deal with it when it happens.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/11/2017 8:52 AM

Its almost as if they designed the tripod seats to be run at angles that are the most commonly used. Who woulda thunk it?

|

4/11/2017 9:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/11/2017 9:08 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Its almost as if they designed the tripod seats to be run at angles that are the most commonly used. Who woulda thunk it?

They did...

I'm just always a little surprised when I come across something that's been done correctly.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

4/11/2017 10:49 AM

Haha, full on discussion about seats. But I agree you should just use what you like. I like my seat at quite an angle, and I hate the look of tripods. I don't have a problem with pivotal, but I think railed looks better. I'm not and never have been heavy on parts, so I've never even bent a rail I don't think. I've also never personally had an problem with pivotal. Apart from my animal Nigel because the stitching around the hole isn't perfect so it looks like it's starting to tear

|

4/11/2017 12:09 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I think tripods look the best personally. I've bent so many rails in my life, actually every railed seat I've ever had has bent. I've never seen a tripod break or bend. They are the strongest, and my tripod weighs a pound less than my railed seat. Seams like a step backwards to me, but to each their own.

|

4/11/2017 12:10 PM

Phew wrote:

Fly doesn't collect royalties. That's why every other company also makes tripod seats. That's what I heard anyway....

|

4/12/2017 9:23 AM

pnj wrote:

if you land on any seat hard, you will break it.

Who is making a decent railed seat these days?

Im running a relic railed seat, on a fly post. Im liking it a lot

|

4/12/2017 10:38 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

I think tripods look the best personally. I've bent so many rails in my life, actually every railed seat I've ever had has bent. I've never seen a tripod break or bend. They are the strongest, and my tripod weighs a pound less than my railed seat. Seams like a step backwards to me, but to each their own.

Yep, each to their own. I've never bent a rail and my seat and post weigh about the same as a pivotal. With the added bonus of looking awesome, having as much adjustability as I want, and no hole in the top of my seat

|

4/21/2017 8:33 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I have had may pivotal land on concrete from a 6ft air ( more than I can count times) and it only ripped a tiny bit of the material.

I admit I thought the same thing would happen that you said when I decided to try one after 20yrs plus riding a railed seat. But they are stronger than expected, seeing I decided to try one after blowing one side of my railed seat apart (same spot as the 6ft air). My only wish is that they had the ability to adjust the seat forwards and backwards like a railed seat. I was talking to the guys at Tall Order about it a few days ago. Seems like they might be working on that issue.

|