dirty chain...? help!

Related:
Create New Tag

1/12/2011 9:50 AM

i have a shadow chain from a year back, its full of gunk and old grease, whats the best way to get it completely clean? i think lubing it up wont help, it needs a thorough cleaning

|

1/12/2011 9:51 AM

Degreaser? Like WD-40?

|

1/12/2011 9:51 AM

get a can of wd40 and an old toothbrush and rag
spray the crap out of it and give it a good scrub
using hot water, wash off alll of the wd40, and try completely with a rag
apply a wax type chain lubricant

|

1/12/2011 9:53 AM

bermybmxer wrote:

get a can of wd40 and an old toothbrush and rag
spray the crap out of it and give it a good scrub
using hot water, wash off alll of the wd40, and try completely with a rag
apply a wax type chain lubricant

ok thanks, that sounds like it'll do it. thanks man

|

1/12/2011 9:53 AM

If its not coloured let it sit in Acetone for a day.
That'll give it a good clean x 9 haha.
Thats what I do, then just lube it back up.

|

Hey Im Revenge, my account won't let me log in!

1/12/2011 9:54 AM

rub it and old shirt then rub it with gasoline and light it up

|

Bike Check!!!!!!!

Im a peruvian motherfucker

1/12/2011 9:55 AM

narvaez bmx wrote:

rub it and old shirt then rub it with gasoline and light it up

this

|

1/12/2011 9:55 AM

SCAMMER. wrote:

yeah its just a silver one, but what will the acetone do exactly? is it just a super auto cleaner or something?

|

1/12/2011 9:57 AM

SCAMMER. wrote:

JKbmx09 wrote:

yeah its just a silver one, but what will the acetone do exactly? is it just a super auto cleaner or something?

Nail polish remover basically, its one of the ingredients in it, the one that takes spraypaint off.

|

1/12/2011 9:59 AM

JKbmx09 wrote:

It disolves fucking anything in its path aye, except for metal.
But no shit it ate through my 50mm thick plastic bowl!
It gets rid of everything, and I mean everything!

Its used for paint removal, glue remover, nail polish remover etc etc.
Its freakin strong man, trust me.

|

1/12/2011 10:00 AM

help me? wrote:

Nail polish remover basically, its one of the ingredients in it, the one that takes spraypaint off.

This ^
Its basically just a 100x stronger nail polish remover.

|

1/12/2011 10:02 AM

SCAMMER. wrote:

JKbmx09 wrote:

SCAMMER. wrote:

ok awesome, tht sounds like the easiest thing to use. i dont feel like scrubbing the shit out of my chain for hours, im too lazy haha. maybe ill take some pics, and do a before and after thing. nothing better to do when theres a foot and a half of snow outside

|

1/12/2011 10:03 AM

Sorry to thread steal or something but the problem i just recently got with my chain is MASSIVE SQUEAKING and horrible sounding noises, its not my bottom bracket, not my driver, i have degreased and regreased every moving part like 4 times and nothing has worked, usually when this use to happen it would be one of two things, either i just needed to put a little lube on my chain, or where you screw the pedals into your cranks was a little rusty and dry and would squeak, but everything is lubed to the max and it still sounds terrible, any suggestions?

|

1/12/2011 10:04 AM

JKbmx09 wrote:

ok awesome, tht sounds like the easiest thing to use. i dont feel like scrubbing the shit out of my chain for hours, im too lazy haha. maybe ill take some pics, and do a before and after thing. nothing better to do when theres a foot and a half of snow outside

Haha oath!
You gotta really let it soak man, let check it every say, half hour?
Maybe scrub it a bit afterwards and make sure you dry it properly coz if you have a few wet links and it drips on your frame or something it will eat the paint away something vicious lol.

|

1/12/2011 10:07 AM

SCAMMER. wrote:

JKbmx09 wrote:

SCAMMER. wrote:

Haha oath!
Maybe scrub it a bit afterwards and make sure you dry it properly coz if you have a few wet links and it drips on your frame or something it will eat the paint away something vicious lol.

oh shit, thats not good. well its worth a try, ive got a new kmc 410 as a backup

|

1/12/2011 10:09 AM

JKbmx09 wrote:

oh shit, thats not good. well its worth a try, ive got a new kmc 410 as a backup

Yeah, s'all good then.
If you look in that Post your bike thread at my bike, my halflink chain was Ano Gold and its now Silver from Acetoning it every now and again hahaha.

|

1/12/2011 10:10 AM

D Thompson wrote:

Sorry to thread steal or something but the problem i just recently got with my chain is MASSIVE SQUEAKING and horrible sounding noises, its not my bottom bracket, not my driver, i have degreased and regreased every moving part like 4 times and nothing has worked, usually when this use to happen it would be one of two things, either i just needed to put a little lube on my chain, or where you screw the pedals into your cranks was a little rusty and dry and would squeak, but everything is lubed to the max and it still sounds terrible, any suggestions?

lube the chain, and ignore the squeaking. put some anti seize stuff on ur bolts, and if it still squeaks, just deal with it. cause it doesnt sound like theres anything wrong with ur bike

|

1/12/2011 10:12 AM

SCAMMER. wrote:

Haha oath!

JKbmx09 wrote:

SCAMMER. wrote:

Yeah, s'all good then.
If you look in that Post your bike thread at my bike, my halflink chain was Ano Gold and its now Silver from Acetoning it every now and again hahaha.

haha nice, ill have to go check tht out

|

1/12/2011 10:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2011 10:16 AM

JKbmx09 wrote:

lube the chain, and ignore the squeaking. put some anti seize stuff on ur bolts, and if it still squeaks, just deal with it. cause it doesnt sound like theres anything wrong with ur bike

haha dude i cant stand it though, it sounds so loud i feel like im riding an 1823 mongoose from fuckin zimbabwe lol, it sounds like my bike is gunna start spewing magma if i keep riding it lol, im thinking that maybe even this beastly chain might not be able to stand 28/8 gearing haha, maybe its just soo fucked up from that gearing or something, i dont know

|

1/12/2011 10:18 AM

rag and water or something

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

1/12/2011 10:21 AM

D Thompson wrote:

JKbmx09 wrote:

D Thompson wrote:

haha dude i cant stand it though, it sounds so loud i feel like im riding an 1823 mongoose from fuckin zimbabwe lol, it sounds like my bike is gunna start spewing magma if i keep riding it lol, im thinking that maybe even this beastly chain might not be able to stand 28/8 gearing haha, maybe its just soo fucked up from that gearing or something, i dont know

damn 28/8!! i run 28/9 and everyone thinks im crazy

|