do i need a new stem?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/11/2008 1:14 PM

I bought a complete Kink. (the kink launch). It's decent for my skill level. Only problem is the stem, it seems to come loose way too easy, like I have to adjust my handlebars every time I ride. Is this due to the low end nature of this complete bike, like, should I just buy a new stem all together? Or there a trick I can do to keep this from happening on such a regular basis?
thanks.

|

9/11/2008 1:26 PM

mainly the poor hold is due to the clamping area on the bars it just has lines instead of the normal grooves on there. so i think new bars would fix the problem, but im not 100% cause i put my bros stock bars on my fit dld and they held great, but the stem already had the normal bar clamp pattern worn into the paint on the stem. One thing you could try is to rough up the inside of the stems smooth paint finish for more grip

|

9/11/2008 1:37 PM

the handle bars? you think? hmm well thats a pickle. maybe ill try roughing up the inside of the stem, see if that helps at all. i'd hate to buy new handle bars and have it be a stem issue, or vice versa, either way i have a 50% chance of making the wrong purchase.

|

9/11/2008 2:48 PM

either way youll have too switch out the crappy stock parts anyways.

i have the saaaaame bike but mines an 08 model.i switched out the stem becuz it was heavy.i switched the forks, bars, headset, etc etc.new parts are better.

all the stock parts arent really trustworthy.they are heavy and shouldnt be ridden for too long.

put some money into your bike.youll be happy you did

|

-RideBMX-

9/11/2008 3:07 PM

dude... how do you tighten it down? like do you tighten one down all the way... then the next bolt? try tighting one down a little... then drop to the opposite corner... ... kind of in a cross... try that till its all the way tight

|

dont think of it as rape, think of it as surprise sex. and who doesnt love a surprise?

9/12/2008 5:12 AM

i tighten cross pattern style. like, top left, bottom right, top right, botom left. the handle bars need be adjusted like every hour or so though, its redic. i mean for now i guess ill just carry around an allan wrench, not the end of the world. that and ill start looking into replacing my stem and my bars. was thinking about replacing my sprocket anyways, might as well make a whole afair out of it.

i have a pretty good idea what i want for bars, anyone have a recommendation on stems?

|

9/12/2008 5:19 AM

just put electrical tape around the bars and put lock tight on the bolts

|

9/12/2008 5:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/12/2008 5:35 AM

sand the paint off ur bars where the groves are and the cut a pop can.. wrap it around the get bars something to press it down on to the bars with and put ur bars on and tighten them

|

9/12/2008 6:28 AM

if you dont want your bars to move, buy the thomson elite stem, six bolts hold the bars instead of 4...

|

boobs on a hot plate

9/12/2008 6:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 5:18 PM

s&m redneck xlt stem or a fit down low..... possibly the 2 best stems ever made and they come in some cool colours... both have lifetime warranty too

|

live fast - ride hard

9/12/2008 1:00 PM

Yah I bought a new redline and the new bars and stems (both stock) that came with the bike stripped my 2nd day of riding. Its stripped so bad that no ammount of tghtening helps. My bars slip now with about 5 lbs of pressure. I ordered both stem and bars.

|

I like Boobs.

9/12/2008 1:04 PM

i have a tock 09 kink transistion, the bars slip when i bunnyhop. its becouse they just have lines on the clamping area. i put my old eastern donkey bars on and have had no slips since.

|

(\__/)
(='.'=)
( .Y. )
(")v(")

09 Kink Transition...yes...i ride a tranny.

Im the CLIT commander of the sexy army.

9/12/2008 1:21 PM

Get all the paint off the bars and stem where they clamp down. That's step one. Step two is to rough up the inside of the stem, I've use a lot of things for that, I reccommend using a razor blade knife, CUTTING AWAY FROM YOURSELF, to leave grooves in the stem, if there are none. Roughing it up will help a lot. The pop can trick would be your next bet if you dont replace parts. I rode a poverty stem and some shitty trek bars for like 4 years without them moving at all, by roughing the inside of the stem up and taking paint out.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/12/2008 5:40 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Get all the paint off the bars and stem where they clamp down. That's step one. Step two is to rough up the inside of the stem, I've use a lot of things for that, I reccommend using a razor blade knife, CUTTING AWAY FROM YOURSELF, to leave grooves in the stem, if there are none. Roughing it up will help a lot. The pop can trick would be your next bet if you dont replace parts. I rode a poverty stem and some shitty trek bars for like 4 years without them moving at all, by roughing the inside of the stem up and taking paint out.

Do what he just said. Can't go wrong!

|

This message is brought to you by JonathanAllen.

[LINK TO IMAGE]
This is Red Panda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_panda

MOTW 5/17/2010 - 5/23/2010

9/12/2008 6:17 PM

ive heard of a ghetto rig by wrapping a little bit of wrinkled tin foil around ur bars and then putting som super glue on the bolts

|

(\__/) CRACKA!!!!
(='.'=)
(")_(")

9/12/2008 7:22 PM

im just throwing another idea out there, but what about skateboard grip tape around the clamping area on the bars?

|