Brain storm session: does a 9 tooth coaster brake hub exist??

Related:
Create New Tag

3/9/2017 6:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2017 6:18 PM

does anyone know if a 9 tooth coaster brake hub exists? or would I be able to convert a freecoaster into a coaster brake with parts from a coaster brake hub?

|

3/9/2017 6:19 PM

Why on God's green earth would you want a coaster brake?! Madness!

|

3/9/2017 6:21 PM

GMGuinn wrote:

Why on God's green earth would you want a coaster brake?! Madness!

I was thinking for starter level bikes for smaller riders plus I think it would be a cool option for stalls and stuff

|

3/9/2017 7:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2017 7:27 PM

timedrifter wrote:

I was thinking for starter level bikes for smaller riders plus I think it would be a cool option for stalls and stuff

Nope, they're the worst for stalls. Worse than freecoasters, you can't even backpedal. Get a cassette, you'll be happy. If it's stopping that you're concerned with, brakes exist.

Plus, to find what you're looking for will be very, very difficult.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/9/2017 7:46 PM

Nope, and no you couldn't install the brake part on a freecoaster-it would blow the hubshell out. Coaster brakes from my experience have steel inside for the brake pads to ride on, and a 2 way clutch (angled section with some grooves on it on BOTH sides of it). One way and it pedals forward catching the ring in the hubshell, the other and it backs out away from the clutch ring in the hubshell and then spreads the pads against the inside of the shell to stop.

Photo

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/10/2017 7:23 AM

make no mistake, I love my freecoaster, this is just a general idea, I see this forum as a good place to plant idea seeds.
I am thinking a build for young riders where the bike looks brakeless, perhaps think of it as "wireless braking" LOL
I am also thinking shoes lasting longer for people who use their bikes to get around as well as to ride parks and spots

maybe a hub that has a switch so you can go from brakes to brakeless?

|

3/10/2017 9:33 AM

timedrifter wrote:

make no mistake, I love my freecoaster, this is just a general idea, I see this forum as a good place to plant idea seeds.
I ...more

Maybe, but no backpedal will not be very good for adjusting foot position and you have to keep your feet in the absolute same position when going fakie on a coaster brake.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

3/10/2017 10:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2017 10:05 AM

Coaster brake hubs used to be standard on freestyle bikes. I ran one for years. They are the reason we have freecoasters today.

There are companies that make modern/new coaster brakes but I don't think they come w/ small drivers/gears like a 9 tooth.I also don't think they fit in bmx frames...

They are GREAT for rear wheel stalls. It's one of the reasons we used to run them.

Unless you are a child with small hands that can't reach a brake lever, there is no need to run one today. IMO

But hey, it's your money, do what you want.

|

3/10/2017 11:04 AM

Cassette hub or brakes. That's it

|

3/10/2017 3:57 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

Cassette hub or brakes. That's it

cassette hub with or without brakes, freecoaster hub with or without brakes, coaster brake hub.

thats more like it.

|

3/13/2017 3:18 PM

pnj wrote:

Coaster brake hubs used to be standard on freestyle bikes. I ran one for years. They are the reason we have freecoasters ...more

This.

Honestly if you want brakes, just run them. I would rather those parts be something I can view without overhauling my hub.

If you truly hate levers that much, go brakeless OR try rigging a grip shift (after removing the indexing) to a brake and run it farther in on your bars.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/13/2017 3:53 PM

I just want to reiterate this is just an idea, I thought it would be a cool option.

|

3/27/2018 6:45 AM

Hey timedrifter, same as you.
I wish I could get a coaster brake as durable as a freecoaster, of a freecoaster with brake option.
I have an old coster brake, that has 90° back rotation before it starts braking. I enjoy using it for reverse or fakie, as I need 90° rotation, it does not disturb during fakies or jumps. the only problem is that it is 14 teeth. I wish I got 9.

Enjoy

Lewis

|

3/27/2018 6:57 AM

lewisb wrote:

I wish I could get a coaster brake as durable as a freecoaster, of a freecoaster with brake ...more

This thread is older than me

|

Hmmm

3/27/2018 8:26 AM

lewisb wrote:

I wish I could get a coaster brake as durable as a freecoaster, of a freecoaster with brake ...more

Why would you necro this thread man?

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

3/28/2018 8:30 AM

Anyway I found à 12T Sprocket for my coaster brake. This does the job. smile

|

3/29/2018 3:20 PM

Yo this timedrifter dude is always full of terrible ideas. Anyone else remember the BMX fatbike saga?

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

3/29/2018 6:25 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Yo this timedrifter dude is always full of terrible ideas. Anyone else remember the BMX fatbike saga?

Lmao yes I remember seeing thatlaughing

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/30/2018 6:47 AM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

thanks for the insult, the fatbike thread was a mistake, didnt realize I would be dealing with so many little kid minds, as far as this idea, I disagree because many parents go and buy coaster brake bikes from places like walmart and the kids learn to ride a bicycle extra young and get used to foot brakes, (coaster brakes) then when they try to ride a "real" bmx bike, they end up crashing and leaving bmx behind. to me the coaster brake option would make for an easier transition.

if your not open to new ideas, your just a robot doing what the establishment tells you to do. good boy.

|