does anybody also skate?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/9/2017 5:34 PM

I was wondering if any of you skated in addition to riding bmx, or do you feel that it's one or the other and skaters are your natural enemy? I ordered a board and plan on doing both. Each has its pros and cons. The bikes are better transportation and won't put you on your face because of a rock, bad pavement etc, not to mention can go through grass and dirt. But the initial investment - and replacements and upgrades - are more costly. Skaters seem to have more street tricks available to them. My town has no parks, and the towns immediately north and south of me have them...but for skaters only. I'd have to drive 40 miles for a bmx park. Maybe some of you are in the same boat. Messing up on a board can hurl your ride into traffic and possibly under the wheels of an inattentive motorist, ending your day of fun.

A lot of what I've read and seen puts bmxers, skaters and the scooter kids in their own factions, waging war upon each other. Just wondering what everyone's personal opinion and experiences are.

Thanks

|

4/9/2017 5:37 PM

Photo

Am I allowed to wear thrasher now ?

PS obviously I did not land this ..
|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/9/2017 5:55 PM

I know a few people who do both along with with other sports, eg. trials, MTB. I mess about on boards occasionally but can't do anything more than the occasional shuv. I have no idea how it is in the US but here, everybody gets along. As long as you're not snaking, nobody really cares what you're on and regardless of the sport, everybody pushes everybody else to land something they're trying. It's pretty much the same everywhere I've been with the bike.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/9/2017 6:09 PM

Skating? Pushing on a useless wooden toy? Or riding a beefed up kids bike? Hahahaha.

Man I skated for well over a decade before I picked up BMX. Never had a thing against bikes because I wasnt raised to be a cunt. Probably spent a good portion of my life mixing concrete to build parks, helping build parks and spots and shit. I filmed a good bunch of skateboarding back in the day also, some of the craziest days of my life. Just bummed on the torn ACL though. That shit sucks.

|

4/9/2017 6:18 PM

Always on a kids bike and still on a kids bike! That's how I like it haha

|

4/9/2017 6:46 PM

I ice skate/play hockey....but never been on a skateboard. Still have too much to do/learn on a bike to add a board.

There is only one park around here where the skaters are jerky, and even then it is just a small group of gangsta wannabe's...they usually leave when the park fills up with legit people who don't care about how cool they are

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

4/9/2017 6:48 PM

Skating is so damn hard. I dont have the patience to learn it and kicking hurts my foot

|

4/9/2017 8:20 PM

I started skating when I was 5. I'm 41. I still skate a bit but my right ankle is such a mess that it hurts to push after a few minutes. I love skating and I'll always roll around a bit but it has pretty much destroyed my body. Both ankles, left knee, broken back. So fun though and I met some of the most awesome people in my life through it. I never understood why skaters and BMXers sometimes don't get along. I guess maybe pegs tending to damage spots a lot more than trucks might have something to do with it but bikes don't weigh 40 pounds anymore.

|

4/9/2017 9:33 PM

I can land a heelflip once every fifty or so tries. Does that count?

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

4/9/2017 9:40 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

I can land a heelflip once every fifty or so tries. Does that count?

Only if you get an 11 year old to film it with really bad recording skills, and your head has to be cut off.

|

4/9/2017 10:15 PM

Oh I just remembered something funny. The fact that I met GAry Sansom (owner of BMXmuseum) at a skateshop while skating and drinking beers.

Im the youngest person in this pic (25 at the time) and everyone else is late 30s to 40s
Photo

|

4/10/2017 7:11 AM

I skate too. I've been skating since I was in 5th grade and I'm 27 now. Skate just as much as I ride. Been riding bikes since I was a kid too but never got into bmx until recently when I could actually afford it

|

4/10/2017 7:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2017 7:48 AM

I skated for almost 20 years but it was getting to hard on my body, so I recently hung it up, and started bmx again. At first it felt blasphemous to be at the skatepark on a bike, and I got a little shit from my skater friends, but I got used to it, and so did they. I say do whatever makes you happy. Im just too old, and it was time to retire the skateboard at 30 years old. I still have a cruiser deck with super soft filmer wheels to cruise on once in a while. I just don't do many tricks anymore. I broke more bones then I can count on my skateboard, and it was such a huge part of my life. I don't regret anything, but sometimes I feel more like 50 than 30.

|

4/10/2017 9:43 AM

I skated for a few years but i don't feel it anymore. I ride scooters though.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

4/10/2017 10:11 AM

I skated for quite a while, but it's too hard on my body now. I undoubtedly got more injuries skating than riding. Plus I was riding before, and for a lot longer so skateboarding was always kind of the secondary hobby. I've still got a board but haven't been out on it for years. I'll probably get some big soft wheels and use it for filming. But I might do a bit of a Steven Hamilton and do a bit of both

|

4/10/2017 10:41 AM

I used to skate for almost 4 years before I switched to BMX. But I got tired of one footing EVERYTHING and wheel biting when I land funny.. Made little to no progress whatsoever so forget it. Just not for me. Might get a board to screw around with later on but for now I'm all about bikes.

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

4/10/2017 11:14 AM

I did back in the day until I wrecked my ankle. Haven't really done more than tinker since then.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura