does footjam tailwhip help learning tailwhip?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/14/2021 2:26 PM

ermm
|

1/14/2021 2:30 PM

im sure it does, learning to jump on the pedals and spotting them as they come round etc. would likely carry over from FJ whips into regular whips.

|

1/14/2021 2:46 PM

Not really. As the front end is stuck when the rear end comes around, It takes alot of the force out/changes it quite a bit, it's completely different doing a whip in the air compared to FJ whip.

|

1/14/2021 3:08 PM

Not for us fuckfooted guys who fj whip switch and whip normal

|

smile

1/14/2021 3:19 PM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

Fucking this. My fj whips are regular so I kick it naturally but my tailwhips are goofy and I use all arms. Entirely different motion.

I can kick and sometimes get over frame on oppo whips and the only thing fj whips have helped me with that are knowing how to kick the frame… either way I feel like it’s a way different motion. Fj whips I just kick and lean, super easy compared to throwing a whip

|

1/14/2021 3:31 PM

I would say doing tailwhips on your back laying on the ground with your bike in the air is pretty damn close. Really simple/easy way to get the feel of what it would be like to tailwhip just reverse gravity as bike wants to come towards the body and not away when reveresed.

|

1/14/2021 5:03 PM

yeah kind of. i'd use a ramp.

|

1/14/2021 5:04 PM

ghostrider920 wrote:

yeah kind of. i'd use a ramp.

otherwise, just hop as high as you can for a flat whip!

|

1/14/2021 10:57 PM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Fucking this. My fj whips are regular so I kick it naturally but my tailwhips are goofy and I use all arms. Entirely different ...more

I third this, haha. I kick them down side in footjams (counter-clockwise), but normal for regular tailwhips (clockwise).

I have my footjam whips dialed, but I can only get 3/4 the way for normal tailwhips thus far out of ramps.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

1/14/2021 11:30 PM

Do nothings help nothing supermans is the real question ? Can you make something out of nothing ?

|

1/15/2021 12:42 AM

I learned footjam whips before whips and honestly no, they don't really help.

Jumping back on the pedals is completely different. In a footjam whip, you really push yourself off the tire and jump on the pedals. In a tailwhip you have to bring your bike back to your front foot. In one case you jump on your bike, in the other your bike comes back to you. Really different feeling.

I could footjam whip and land on pedals everytime, yet could not land whips properly (I would always put my back foot on the frame). Now I can do both cleanly, but the learning process was really different.

|

1/15/2021 1:19 AM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Fucking this. My fj whips are regular so I kick it naturally but my tailwhips are goofy and I use all arms. Entirely different ...more

readybmxer wrote:

I third this, haha. I kick them down side in footjams (counter-clockwise), but normal for regular tailwhips (clockwise).

I ...more

same here, i can only FJ whip downside with my cranks facing upwards because otherwise i have to either do it oppo or switch footed. i whip normally though which is weird and if i was to downwhip i'd do it the other way to my FJ whip.

|

1/15/2021 11:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2021 11:38 AM

FJ whips help with kick (though that is the easy part for both tricks) and with the catch/spot pedals.

The hardest part of a real tailwhip is keeping the bike under you and not using your arms too much (making a huge arm circle and letting the bike fly away).

The hardest part of the FJ whip is the balance.

I can land a normal tailwhip 4/5 times to pedals clean.
I can land a FJ whip 3/5 times to pedals clean.
I can never do whips while on my back on the ground, because its way harder, dumb, and pointless.

The only reason I can't FJ whip as good as normal is because I haven't practiced as much (didn't find it as fun). Not because it is necessarily harder.

|

1/15/2021 10:45 PM

no footjam tailwhips are so stupid its not even worth it.

lowkey i was trying fastplant down whips on steep tall skatepark banks for awhile and i kinda understand tailwhips enough to know that i never want to learn them

|

13 years old