Related:
Create New Tag

3/6/2015 7:28 PM

Are the aeons worth the 10$ more than the tibias which would be the better buy

|

3/6/2015 7:42 PM

something something something get thunderbolts fgt

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

3/6/2015 8:02 PM

I think that you really should just get Thunderbolts. I'm not trying to be how some people are, but i have ridden a lot of cranks and the Thunderbolts are the stiffest and easiest to deal with. Splines are harder than these. It's literally like all you have to do is tighten these down and forget about it and when you wanna take em off the worst case scenario you may need a hammer, but generally you don't. Splines you need a tool to get them off. And not just any tool, a special tool that is just for that type of crank. Screw that haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

3/6/2015 8:10 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

I think that you really should just get Thunderbolts. I'm not trying to be how some people are, but i have ridden a lot of ...more

But arent the aeons supposed to have the solution to that with the ess lol

|

3/6/2015 8:23 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

I think that you really should just get Thunderbolts. I'm not trying to be how some people are, but i have ridden a lot of ...more

Cobra10 wrote:

Sure, but then it comes to warranty and overall ease of installation. The 41Thermal is hard to beat. And I'm sure they're both tough, but the thunderbolts are way better in most ideas.

Plus the thunderbolts are probably cheaper. I didn't bother to check because I'm tired. haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

3/6/2015 8:29 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Cobra10 wrote:

MaximusBikes wrote:

Sure, but then it comes to warranty and overall ease of installation. The 41Thermal is hard to beat. And I'm sure they're both ...more

5$ more actually haha but ill think about it thanks for the imput

|

3/6/2015 8:37 PM

I run thunderbolts but if i were to get eclat cranks i would get the tibias.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

3/6/2015 10:49 PM

Cobra10 wrote:

The Aeon's spindle design weakens the spindle. And as Maximus said, they won't have a warranty.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

3/6/2015 10:53 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Cobra10 wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

The Aeon's spindle design weakens the spindle. And as Maximus said, they won't have a warranty.

Im not worried about a warranty because im a lighter rider so theres a small chance im gunna snap or crack them and ill probably get the tibias

|

3/7/2015 12:51 AM

Cobra10 wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Cobra10 wrote:

Im not worried about a warranty because im a lighter rider so theres a small chance im gunna snap or crack them and ill ...more

Just get the Thunderbolts and move on....

|

3/7/2015 7:14 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

How does it weaken the spindle?

You'd be fine with either crank BTW.

|

3/7/2015 7:19 AM

bobPA wrote:

It doesnt really lol isnt the bolt supposed to expand it

|

3/7/2015 7:24 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

bobPA wrote:

Cobra10 wrote:

Splines aren't the best thing if you ask me. Too annoying. Sure, they're probably strong enough for MOST riders, but Thunderbolts are strong enough for all riders. It's your call, if you really want the Aeons for aesthetic value, go for it. But If you go on scratch and dent on dans, you can get thunderbolts that are still in great condition for less and just wait til the 16th for the ST. Patty's day sale, you can also get another 15% off! Better cranks, less money, and will last you for the rest of your life.

|

3/7/2015 7:28 AM

A slit spindle? Yeah not a chance I'd ride those. The piece of mind is enough to stay away

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

3/7/2015 8:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/7/2015 8:11 AM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Splines aren't the best thing if you ask me. Too annoying. Sure, they're probably strong enough for MOST riders, but ...more

"Probably strong enough" show me one instance where all of the splines have been sheared from riding, not from an incorrect install. splines are much strong than the wedge cluster setup. Just a bit more of a pain in the ass.

Buy profile and support the US economy.

|

3/7/2015 8:13 AM

bobPA wrote:

Probably the fact that it has 3 slits directly where the crank arm will be sitting, add a bolt in there expanding the metal in a way that flexes the slit parts even just a little, and there's no way that WON'T weaken it.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

But hey I'm just a guy on the internet, you don't have to take my word for it.

|

3/7/2015 8:16 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Probably the fact that it has 3 slits directly where the crank arm will be sitting, add a bolt in there expanding the metal in ...more

Give me a bit of time and I will see if my SolidWorks skills are still up to par. I can make a 3d model and run some stress tests on them. Those slits will not weaken it as much as you think, If at all.

|

3/7/2015 8:16 AM

Im just going to get the tibias i dont have the 180 for thunderbolts nor do i want them.

|

3/7/2015 8:36 AM

Cobra10 wrote:

MaximusBikes wrote:

Splines aren't the best thing if you ask me. Too annoying. Sure, they're probably strong enough for MOST riders, but ...more

bobPA wrote:

"Probably strong enough" show me one instance where all of the splines have been sheared from riding, not from an incorrect ...more

Nahh, not a fan of the regular profiles, the columns are nice. Just because they aren't how i like cranks to be. Profile is good but a lot of the things I do aren't ideal for that shape of crank, i prefer the rectangular shape the most.

I know what you're saying though. My point was not the strength, but the overall longevity of the crank. Splines can wear out, the Thunderbolts won't. I know that they will both be good, but Thunderbolts are better. Now if i ever managed to break these cranks, my opinion will change.

I'm not saying that all splined cranks are bad or weak, i'm just saying that they're more difficult in comparison.

|

3/7/2015 8:51 AM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Nahh, not a fan of the regular profiles, the columns are nice. Just because they aren't how i like cranks to be. Profile is ...more

Splines are easy as hell to work with and the tool is not required on all 48 spline cranks

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

3/7/2015 9:06 AM

bobPA wrote:

"Probably strong enough" show me one instance where all of the splines have been sheared from riding, not from an incorrect ...more

"Buy profile and support shitty tolerances and poor designs."

FTFY

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

3/7/2015 9:13 AM

My profile cranks have lasted 12 years and are still going strong with none of this wobble people keep talking about that I've never actually seen

As for this thread get Tibias

|

3/7/2015 10:24 AM

tomdon wrote:

Splines are easy as hell to work with and the tool is not required on all 48 spline cranks

That's true, sometimes everything goes together easy as butter on bread, but other times its super hard and no matter how much grease you use it's all messed up. My Device cranks sucked for that reason only. Literally everything fucked up towards the end.

|