fbm chopper fork and autopilot frame tire clearance.

Related:
Create New Tag

3/30/2016 5:55 AM

Coming out of bmx retirement. Have a fbm autopilot with chopper fork.was wondering if anyone still runs these forks and frames , and whats the biggest tires you are running with them. Lots have changed since 09. Currently running a shadow undertaker 2.25 front and 1.95 rear. Soon as I get pins for my chain breaker ill remove my rear tire and see what clearance I have with the 2.25 tire on the rear. I emailed jon lee and he said maybe a 2.25 max front and 2.10 tire rear. I was thinking of running fit faf 2.25 front and 2.10 rear , but will wait for responses. I do run a brake to.

|

3/30/2016 11:26 AM

I would do exactly what you are planning. You can also look at the current tire with full PSI in it and look to see how much space you have on either side, which can help a bit for tire clearance.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is no official universal measurement. I have Demolition Momentum tires in a 2.20 and they are a LOT wider and taller than my Primo WLT 2.30s. Based on my front wheel clearance alone (with a front brake and cable coming out of the steer tube) there is nearly 1/4 inch MORE space with the 2.30 tires.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/30/2016 12:15 PM

Fit faf's come up fairly narrow, I had 2.3 or whatever it is, front and rear. Now I've got 2.1 faf on the back and a 2.1 mainline up front, the mainline is about the same as the old faf and the new faf feels more like a 1.95. Suits me down to the ground because I don't like wide tyres.

Personally I'd say use your old tyres for a bit if possible. See how you get on with those. I switched up to wider tyres for a bit and really didn't like them. But I'm fairly certain the faf's will fit, they just probably won't be as wide as you're expecting

|

4/1/2016 8:52 AM

Thanks for the replies. I do like the fat tire in the front aswell as a aggressive tread pattern. I dont need a really huge tire in the back , but like how it sucked up the impact on landings .

|

4/1/2016 9:50 AM

I've got pitchfork xlt's, not the widemouth version, and the mainline fits with room to spare

|

4/2/2016 11:58 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I've got pitchfork xlt's, not the widemouth version, and the mainline fits with room to spare

Cool i was looking at that tire to.what size are you running?

|

4/2/2016 3:08 PM

I've got the 2.1, it comes up similar to the 2.3 faf, only it's a lot cooler

|