fc wobble...

Related:
Create New Tag

11/27/2013 7:02 AM

so was riding today and my fc strarted to wobble a bit side to side, gunna take it apart and regrease. Just wondering if there's anything i should check while doing this? its pretty much brand new btw........ thanks

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

11/27/2013 7:14 AM

Every freecoaster I've ever ridden wobbles, including my Federal V3. It's normal.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

11/27/2013 7:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/27/2013 7:21 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Every freecoaster I've ever ridden wobbles, including my Federal V3. It's normal.

well its the inside race of the ds bearing that has play... alot of play.... do tapered roller bearings normally do this?

|

NEW Bike check
Raw Clips Edit

11/27/2013 7:21 AM

Do you mean it wobbles like the whole hub and wheel wobble on the axle like its really loose?!

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

11/27/2013 7:26 AM

Chuck8273 wrote:

Do you mean it wobbles like the whole hub and wheel wobble on the axle like its really loose?!

kinda...... its defo the ds bearing, the one that the whole coaster was about..... is the inner race of tapered rollers meant to move?

|

NEW Bike check
Raw Clips Edit

11/27/2013 7:43 AM

I have no clue man. I haven't had a hub that did that since the coaster brake hub I converted as a kid. But I could tighten that up.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

11/27/2013 7:57 AM

I hate it when FCs break even if it's new. I experienced this also. I bought new Freecoaster and broke within a week of riding it. Though it was a cheap one that has 3 crown bearings like nankai Old School hubs. It such a hassle working and repairing it. But I managed to repair it and it rolls smooth like butter.

I don't have experience with high end freecoasters as they are expensive but you may want to look at the bearings and the cone nuts and lock nuts. If that doesn't work, maybe you can send an email to the manufacturer I'm sure they can help you.

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

11/27/2013 8:23 AM

sorted it (for now). put it all back together and greased the threads so i could tighten the lock nuts more. seems right for now

|

NEW Bike check
Raw Clips Edit

11/27/2013 8:55 AM

EddiMundo wrote:

sorted it (for now). put it all back together and greased the threads so i could tighten the lock nuts more. seems right for now

but greasing the axle will make it slippery. It may loosen the lock nuts sometime.

|

11/27/2013 9:09 AM

neophyte16 wrote:

I hate it when FCs break even if it's new. I experienced this also. I bought new Freecoaster and broke within a week of riding it. Though it was a cheap one that has 3 crown bearings like nankai Old School hubs. It such a hassle working and repairing it. But I managed to repair it and it rolls smooth like butter.

I don't have experience with high end freecoasters as they are expensive but you may want to look at the bearings and the cone nuts and lock nuts. If that doesn't work, maybe you can send an email to the manufacturer I'm sure they can help you.

Nankai are among the best freecoasters out there.
Sean McKinney had an interview about 5 years ago and he had been running the same one for like 15+ years without issue.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/27/2013 9:15 AM

EddiMundo wrote:

neophyte16 wrote:

but greasing the axle will make it slippery. It may loosen the lock nuts sometime.

ALWAYS grease threads.

If you don't, you risk stripping, corrosion, and more issues.

Any time metal touches metal, put grease on it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/27/2013 10:02 AM

Dave lawrence 100% correct. Looseball in freecoasters is actually better than sealed bearings when it comes to the loads they are put under.

I know ill be getting the new nyc hub from flatland fuel even though im in the uk, pricey but worth it.

|

11/27/2013 10:03 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

ALWAYS grease threads.

Really? Thanks for this. I'll put a little bit of grease on my axles tomorrow. I always wipe off grease on my axles because I thought it would make the nuts slip or loosen

|

11/27/2013 10:12 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Nankai are among the best freecoasters out there.
Sean McKinney had an interview about 5 years ago and he had been running the same one for like 15+ years without issue.

Yes, I saw Matt Wilhelm's bike check and still using his Nankai Hub.
The freecoaster I bought was called Scrapbikes. It's a local brand here.
It has 3 crown bearing and 1 sealed bearing. It is a simple mechanism like in coaster brake hubs without the brakes.
But it runs smooth til now so i will stick with this one.
Check out my bike check here and you will see the hub.

|

11/27/2013 10:52 AM

We used to turn our coaster brake hubs into what we called freewheel at the time. Those of us with cheap bikes that couldn't afford good parts did anyway.

|

11/27/2013 11:00 AM

neophyte16 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

ALWAYS grease threads.

neophyte16 wrote:

Really? Thanks for this. I'll put a little bit of grease on my axles tomorrow. I always wipe off grease on my axles because I thought it would make the nuts slip or loosen

Just a little bit for the nuts etc. You don't need to coat them or anything.

A little lube goes a long way smile

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/27/2013 2:40 PM

my khe reverse started wobbling after i regreased it, but then i realized the locknuts werent tight enough, it took 30 seconds to fix, even at the trails
ps: i know fc's suck on trails, but with the slack tightened all the way, it feels just like a cassette

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

11/27/2013 6:15 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Just a little bit for the nuts etc. You don't need to coat them or anything.

A little lube goes a long way smile

I did this today thanks!

|

11/27/2013 9:30 PM

neophyte16 wrote:

Fun fact: grease allows you to tighten bolts harder than without lubrication

|

11/28/2013 10:31 AM

TRUE. everyone should know that greese is never a bad thing on threads. As whoever runs free-coaster.com puts it, "This allows the nuts to be tightened down to a higher torque spec with less risk of stripping, and better efficiency of your energy.!

|

NEW Bike check
Raw Clips Edit

11/28/2013 12:28 PM

bunkyy

|