finally learned hop whips!

Related:
Create New Tag

9/25/2013 4:21 PM

been trying these for ages, finally got em today. so amped!

2013-09-25 14.39.58 from lucas on Vimeo.

|

http://grouphomebikes.com/

5050 Skatepark

text me for faster response 646 two four nine 2552

9/25/2013 4:22 PM

awesome! I wish I could do those sad

|

This week's Sweet Shoutout goes to: biggybuggy!

9/25/2013 5:24 PM

Nice! I tried learning them for about a week and just got tired of it haha

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

9/25/2013 6:25 PM

Nice ! Join the club and Hi Five!

|

9/25/2013 6:27 PM

crazyclark wrote:

awesome! I wish I could do those sad

Anyone can do them, you just have to practice a lot and depends on how bad you want them as well... DO IT...

|

9/25/2013 6:30 PM

Any tips for the old man trying to get em?

It's been a while but I want to learn them super bad.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/25/2013 7:03 PM

landed cranks doesnt count!.... just kidding man! sick! have you tried them off anything yet? ive been trying so long but i just dont hop enough i dont think... i hear brakes helps so hopefully getting brakes will help it!

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

9/25/2013 7:28 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

You can start of by going at a very slow rolling speed, as you are going for the bunny hop, you want to make sure you get as much height as possible to give you enough time to get the whip around, so as you are at your peak point at the bunny hop you want to start to throw your legs either left or right which ever foot you are forward in the direction that you whip and at the same time as soon as your feet have left the pedals and have just kick the crank/ bike you'll want to use your arms to continue the 360 motion of your bike while at the same time keeping the handle bars level/ centre of your body as the bike is coming around make sure that either your left foot or right foot, which ever foot is backwards from your front foot is moving up towards your ass as to make way for the bike to come around underneath you while at the same time keeping and eye on your front pedal and being ready to catch it with your front foot.

Note: This trick will feel really tight/quick until you get used to it. Obviously the higher you hop the easier it will be to get the whip around but at the same time do not or try not to concentrate on the height of the hop alone because that will mess you up on throwing the whip.

Hope this helps.

|

9/25/2013 7:38 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Cellmember wrote:

You can start of by going at a very slow rolling speed, as you are going for the bunny hop, you want to make sure you get as much height as possible to give you enough time to get the whip around, so as you are at your peak point at the bunny hop you want to start to throw your legs either left or right which ever foot you are forward in the direction that you whip and at the same time as soon as your feet have left the pedals and have just kick the crank/ bike you'll want to use your arms to continue the 360 motion of your bike while at the same time keeping the handle bars level/ centre of your body as the bike is coming around make sure that either your left foot or right foot, which ever foot is backwards from your front foot is moving up towards your ass as to make way for the bike to come around underneath you while at the same time keeping and eye on your front pedal and being ready to catch it with your front foot.

Note: This trick will feel really tight/quick until you get used to it. Obviously the higher you hop the easier it will be to get the whip around but at the same time do not or try not to concentrate on the height of the hop alone because that will mess you up on throwing the whip.

Hope this helps.

I hope it does too haha. I have done regular whips before, but hurt my back and quit trying. It feels decent enough now (been 2 years) so I am going to start doing them again. Figured hopping would be sweet haha!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/25/2013 7:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/25/2013 7:43 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I hope it does too haha. I have done regular whips before, but hurt my back and quit trying. It feels decent enough now (been 2 years) so I am going to start doing them again. Figured hopping would be sweet haha!

Oh okay, well hope you get them ! They are a very exhausting trick so don't give up on it straight away, it will take quite a few tries. Oh low tire pressure can help immensely with the hop.

Edit: Obviously the lighter a bike is it is much much easier.

|

9/25/2013 8:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/25/2013 8:33 PM

Congrats man!!! I hope to learn those after I dial-in some other stuff I'm working on. Thanks for the tips Cellmember. I've only landed a few whips on a fly-out of a bowl. Keep it up!

|

Winter is over-rated

Click here to check my ride

9/25/2013 8:59 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

ive been doing whips off boxes and banks, and even hop into banks doing them but ive never successfully gotten them off a plain hop. the three main things to focus on (in this order) is to really pull when you hop, use your arms ALOT and snap the legs in. you need a really solid hop before you go to kick the bike out. ive been getting over the bike about 80% of the time for the past year or 2 but my problem was getting comfortable enough to really snap my legs in.

so a big hop, lots of arms, and snap those feet in!

|

5050 Skatepark

9/25/2013 11:55 PM

Dope man. Congrats they're easy eh. I got them super quick after I learned whips haha I find that rather than snapping your legs just pop your body extremely high and not worry about how high your bike goes. Tips for anyone who wants them. I find if you get your body high enough with a good initial kick it'l come round and youl get on easysmile

|

9/26/2013 3:29 AM

I played it back several times to check if it is indeed a beard and not a shadow....

then i noticed you did a hop whip.

it's very nice!!! the hop whip is nice too.

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

9/26/2013 3:50 AM

Thanks for the quick video, I watched it a bazillion times, probably watch it a bazillion more. It looked super clean.

|

9/26/2013 7:40 AM

one try kid wrote:

I played it back several times to check if it is indeed a beard and not a shadow....

then i noticed you did a hop whip.

it's very nice!!! the hop whip is nice too.

hahahaaa yeah dude, its a beard! ive been growing it out since the beginning of the summer. without a beard, i look like im a little kid!

|

5050 Skatepark

9/26/2013 11:14 AM

Yoooo good job. doesn't count unless it's foot on frame. still good though.

|

9/26/2013 4:40 PM

Yeeeeewwwww! CLEAN.

|

9/26/2013 5:56 PM

any tips for learning them flat before flyout? like is there anything special i should know?

|

i used to like pork till i found out it came from cops...

9/26/2013 6:10 PM

Purple bike wrote:

any tips for learning them flat before flyout? like is there anything special i should know?

that might be tough. learning them on a flyout makes it easier to get the motion down to do them on flat. but the most important thing is the arm motion. when people first learn them i feel like they tend to focus more on the initial kick than the arms getting the bike around. your arms are more important than yours legs with whips IMO

|

5050 Skatepark