flying with a bike

Related:
Create New Tag

5/17/2011 3:00 PM

i was wondering when you fly with a bike do you need to let the air out of your tires (like with the air pressure pop them) when you are flying or can you keep air in them. any tips would be greatly apprecieated. Im in the army and flyin home with my bike for leave was wonderin if anybody knew. thanks

|

treebmxer_222

5/17/2011 3:05 PM

I would let the air out of them just in case, but I've never flow with a bike before.

|

5/17/2011 3:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/17/2011 3:06 PM

Nope. Flew for years with 95 - 100+ in my tires. Never had a problem. Think about all the poor animals that would be exploding. Doesn't happen.
And.... THank you for your service for country!

|

5/17/2011 3:07 PM

Welcome back to Michigan!

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

5/17/2011 3:09 PM

COLORADO SPRINGS wrote:

Nope. Flew for years with 95 - 100+ in my tires. Never had a problem. Think about all the poor animals that would be exploding. Doesn't happen.

Comparing animals to tires is completely different.
Pressure within living organisms changes much easier. For example, if you go to sea level, the pressure within your body is greater than if you were on top of a mountain. However, you don't notice this change.
With a bike tire, there will be a noticeable change.

ANYWAYS, that is good to know that you don't have to let the air out. Obviously the pressure control within the plane won't effect bike tires that much.

|

5/17/2011 3:14 PM

dont no but i would let air out just in case and thanks for the service

|

5/17/2011 3:29 PM

LorenzoGallegos wrote:

Pressure within living organisms changes much easier. For example, if you go to sea level, the pressure within your body is greater than if you were on top of a mountain. However, you don't notice this change.

ANYWAYS, that is good to know that you don't have to let the air out. Obviously the pressure control within the plane won't effect bike tires that much.

Knowing that you should be able to figure out if a tire would explode or not. The point being that if it's safe enough for animals to fly under there, it's all good for your bike. How about comparing an aerosol can? Will that work for ya?

|

5/17/2011 3:30 PM

COLORADO SPRINGS wrote:

LorenzoGallegos wrote:

Yep, last time I was on a plane, I had a water bottle, and by the time we got to cruising altitude the bottle was crushed.

|

R.I.P. COMPTON
E-mail:chrisschmall@yahoo.com
Refs:chadr, spikez5, umpgotti, brenden1207

First MOTM 12/2010

5/17/2011 3:40 PM

cschmall wrote:

Yep, last time I was on a plane, I had a water bottle, and by the time we got to cruising altitude the bottle was crushed.

I'm confused. How did you get the bottle through security? You had it on the plane with you in the cabin or under the plane?

|

5/17/2011 3:43 PM

LorenzoGallegos wrote:

cschmall wrote:

COLORADO SPRINGS wrote:

I'm confused. How did you get the bottle through security? You had it on the plane with you in the cabin or under the plane?

In the cabin, bought it after security.

|

R.I.P. COMPTON

First MOTM 12/2010

5/17/2011 3:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/17/2011 3:57 PM

my friend forgot his triflow in his bike bag and it exploded.

|

A bike is not a bike if it doesn't have air in the tires.
Bike Check
BSD Front Street Hub Review
Primo Mix Review
Why You WEAR a mouthguard!
Refs.
\BMX-1995/

5/17/2011 4:00 PM

just let it out to be safe cuz tires arent cheap

|

bike check http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/Bike-Checks,27/ONE-TOUGHT-PODRE,1235558

[LINK TO IMAGE]

refs: fitbikeco77, iridebmxeveryday, nickkkk, floka myers, tinybikerider33, bmxihb321, beastassdick, lee rager

5/17/2011 4:01 PM

COLORADO SPRINGS wrote:

LorenzoGallegos wrote:

cschmall wrote:

This. I had an water bottle I had in my bag, (before that bullshit rule) and when I got up to cruising altitude it was under very high pressure, it opened like a soda bottle.

I would let some air out just in case bro. Thanks for your service.

|

[LINK TO IMAGE] 
Just for the record, when I got my BTM... It wasn't "Trendy"

5/17/2011 4:18 PM

cschmall wrote:

I have heard of this before. Did you open it inflight or before? I have heard of half full bottles compressing during landing. So I guess with that in mind, your tires would be losing air? Whatever the case. At the time I was flying 2-4 times a month. Never deflated my tires and I run them hard as rocks. NEVER had a ticket agent tell, ask or suggest to me that I should deflate them. I would roll my bike to the ticket counter without my pedals or pegs on, bags on my handlebars. I would get dropped off at the curb, put my duffle bags on my bars and just scoot through the airport to my airline counter. I would run my stem just tight enough on the forks to be able to turn the bars 90* so the bike would lay flat on their cart. You can buy a bike box from the airline or a bike bag/oversized bag. If they didn't have one I would tell them I would sign a waiver saying that it was "cool" if my bike flew "as is". If I had time, I would get a mattress bag from a local bed and mattress store ( bags that go over the mattresses that they rip off the mattresses after they deliver them to the costumer) . Ask the store manager for one. When I got to the ticket counter, I would slip my bike in the bag and tape it closed. At that time it was $75 - 85 to fly a bike. Check with your airline, they charge different prices. If you're really nice and act dumb, sometimes the agent will let your bike fee slide. Since he's an active service member they might just do that. I would definitely ask. So if you're paying for it, do this. If you're trying to get away with flying your bike for free, break it down into duffle bags. Tell them it is a bunch of parts and NOT a complete bike. There's my .75 cents. Here's another one of my dorky (think about it)'s.... Could you imagine them telling everyone with a wheelchair that they had to deflate their tires? You would see tire pumps at all the gates. On your mark, get set...

|

5/17/2011 4:27 PM

COLORADO SPRINGS wrote:

cschmall wrote:

COLORADO SPRINGS wrote:

I have heard of this before. Did you open it inflight or before? I have heard of half full bottles compressing during landing. So I guess with that in mind, your tires would be losing air? Whatever the case. At the time I was flying 2-4 times a month. Never deflated my tires and I run them hard as rocks. NEVER had a ticket agent tell, ask or suggest to me that I should deflate them. I would roll my bike to the ticket counter without my pedals or pegs on, bags on my handlebars. I would get dropped off at the curb, put my duffle bags on my bars and just scoot through the airport to my airline counter. I would run my stem just tight enough on the forks to be able to turn the bars 90* so the bike would lay flat on their cart. You can buy a bike box from the airline or a bike bag/oversized bag. If they didn't have one I would tell them I would sign a waiver saying that it was "cool" if my bike flew "as is". If I had time, I would get a mattress bag from a local bed and mattress store ( bags that go over the mattresses that they rip off the mattresses after they deliver them to the costumer) . Ask the store manager for one. When I got to the ticket counter, I would slip my bike in the bag and tape it closed. At that time it was $75 - 85 to fly a bike. Check with your airline, they charge different prices. If you're really nice and act dumb, sometimes the agent will let your bike fee slide. Since he's an active service member they might just do that. I would definitely ask. So if you're paying for it, do this. If you're trying to get away with flying your bike for free, break it down into duffle bags. Tell them it is a bunch of parts and NOT a complete bike. There's my .75 cents. Here's another one of my dorky (think about it)'s.... Could you imagine them telling everyone with a wheelchair that they had to deflate their tires? You would see tire pumps at all the gates. On your mark, get set...

Before if I remember correctly.

|

R.I.P. COMPTON

First MOTM 12/2010

5/17/2011 4:39 PM

Not sure where you're flying from, but it might be cheaper to ship your bike a couple days ahead of time. Last I heard it was $50+ to fly with a bike each way, and you can ship fedex for around $25 if you pack it properly.

|

5/17/2011 4:44 PM

cschmall wrote:

Before if I remember correctly.

We need a scientist!

|

5/17/2011 4:48 PM

|

5/17/2011 4:50 PM

thanks for all your posts and your welcome lol

|

treebmxer_222

5/17/2011 5:02 PM

Just let out the air and it will even give you more room in the bag or whatever your putting it in

|