forks help

Related:
Create New Tag

11/29/2016 10:40 AM

Im looking for a new set of forks. Im really into the investment cast look. I like the haro lineages the best, but the offset is a little too much. Can you guys help me find a nice set of forks in the 28-30mm offset. Preferably under or around $100. New or used. Would prefer a nicer set of used, but new is always nice too. I found the bsd acids on ebay for like $80. Are these any good?

|

11/29/2016 12:01 PM

Going from 30 to 33mm isn't noticeable unless you're some kind of nose manny wizard, what's your current fork offset and are you looking for something more responsive? I'd personally go for the bsd over haro, they make good parts. Absolutely worth $80 if they're new.

|

11/29/2016 12:34 PM

Yeah i think i am going with the bsds. They are new with a raw finish. Seems like a good deal. Right now i have 32mm 13 year old haro forks on my new fit benny 3 frame. I really like the responsiveness of the 75.5 head tube. Im just afraid of it getting twitchy if i go less than 28. Im just getting back into riding after 11 years off, but im progressing pretty fast. I love how light and responsive everything has gotten. My last bike was 35 pounds!

|

11/29/2016 12:38 PM

Trying to figure out what the offset is on the salt plus magic forks. I found these for around $65, and they come in black, which is what i was looking for. I know color shouldnt really matter. I guess i could always paint those bsds myself

|

11/29/2016 1:23 PM

If you want it less twitchy, you want more offset. 75.5 is steep, I can't get used to it on my current frame, so I'm going back to the good old 74.5.
The angle of your bars makes a pretty big difference too. If they're upright or slightly forward, your weight will be more over the front wheel

|

11/29/2016 1:28 PM

I went from a 74.5 to 75.5 and I love it. Combined with the 13.11 back end feels so good. Right now my forks are like 32-33, and I feel like I could go a little less than that, but definitely not 25 that's just too much. Oh btw I'm only gonna be riding street and park. No trails for now but I figure I still have my old bike if I ever wanted to get back into the dirt. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the bsds. Thanks for the help

|

11/30/2016 12:21 PM

I've got pmuch the same geo and it feels great after getting used to it, maybe the steering is a tad too snappy sometimes, making quick turns feels like you're rastlin a gator. If I went any shorter offset I'd just go otb all the time, but I also have a short stem and 9" bars which definitely affects the front end as well.

|

11/30/2016 1:15 PM

FaggotSteve wrote:

I've got pmuch the same geo and it feels great after getting used to it, maybe the steering is a tad too snappy sometimes, making quick turns feels like you're rastlin a gator. If I went any shorter offset I'd just go otb all the time, but I also have a short stem and 9" bars which definitely affects the front end as well.

What's your offset 30 or 25?

|

12/1/2016 7:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/1/2016 7:40 AM

I'm on 32mm offset, used to ride 35 and it didn't feel any different. But going from 74.5 to 75.5 hta made a huge difference, both in steering and nose maneuvers. I think you'll be quite pleased with the acid, but if you want a snappier front end then you might need a more drastic change than 2mm.

|

12/2/2016 10:34 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Im looking for a new set of forks. Im really into the investment cast look. I like the haro lineages the best, but the offset is a little too much. Can you guys help me find a nice set of forks in the 28-30mm offset. Preferably under or around $100. New or used. Would prefer a nicer set of used, but new is always nice too. I found the bsd acids on ebay for like $80. Are these any good?

I have a pair of shadow captives with adjustable offset you can buy if you'd like. They come with 2tab sets so you can run 26, 28, 30 or 32 offset. They are used but still in great condition. 630-290-0972 if you're interested.
I got them off someone on here and were great for finding out what kind of offset felt best for me as I rode all 4. I found you can easily adjust to any offset within a few days but 26 definitely felt most comfy for me. It was a tad twitchy on fast landings but the rest was butter.

|

12/2/2016 11:02 AM

I ride 25mm offest with a 75.5 ht angle. Beofre I was on 30mm with 75.5 and the switch to the shorter offest made my bike feel better. My front end felt more responsive. it was nice

|

12/2/2016 12:08 PM

I'm too scared to go fast at anything on my current frame (75.5). My new frame is going back to good old 74.5, and I'm tempted to go lower with my bars too. It makes everything feel a little harder, but more solid when you land and roll out of things.

|