freewheel popping

Related:
Create New Tag

2/15/2018 10:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2018 7:41 AM

I'm just getting back into riding and I bought a 2017 redline asset 24". This is the most awesome bike I've ever owned. I noticed after about 3-4 months of riding the freewheel started making an intermittent popping noise after I'm coasting for a while and then apply pressure to start pedaling, but it doesn't do it at the same spot in the crank rotation. If I flip the bike over it won't do it when I turn the crank frontward or backward. It seems to only happen when there is actual pressure on the pedals. I take back to LBS, who are excellent at what they do, and they said that one of the pawls which are spring loaded had a broken spring and they replaced it. That made a huge difference but didn't stop the problem completely. It will still do it occasionally. Should the whole pawl set be replaced? I thought it might be the chain. The sprocket ratio is 25-10, a very close tolerance I am not used to working with. So, how tight should the chain be?? Right now I got about 1.0 inch of play and it makes the popping noise less. When I tighten it, with about .5 or less inches of play, the popping noise occurs more often. Could it need a chain replacement of all things?? I've got about 250+- hours of riding on it now and I'm not sure how often the chain would need replacing. I mostly just cruise and maybe a few small jumps here and there but nothing very radical at all. I hope my post is more clear. I'm rather new to this. Thanks for any input. I certainly appreciate the advise of more seasoned riders.

|

2/15/2018 11:04 AM

The pawl isn't a bearing and if it is a clicking sound then it is supposed to do that

|

Hmmm

2/15/2018 11:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/15/2018 11:06 AM

*edit*

Nevermind, checked redline's site. It's a cassette. Not sure what the problem is.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/15/2018 11:06 AM

Could be number of things. Does it do it when you aren't pedaling as well as when you are pedaling? If you flip the bike upside down, does it do it when you spin the wheel backwards? How tight is your chain? Are the cones adjusted properly? Not too tight?

|

2/16/2018 1:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2018 1:39 AM

Sorta impossible to know for sure without a video I don't think pictures will make a difference either unless you disassembled hub, it could be a ton of shit

|

@coupd_tat

2/16/2018 4:37 AM

Is it all new? Could just need bedding in, could be a bad chainline, could be a sticky pawl not engaging properly

|

2/16/2018 5:39 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

*edit*

Nevermind, checked redline's site. It's a cassette. Not sure what the problem is.

Cassettes, and freewheels work almost exactly the same, so it doesn't really matter, although freewheels are generally not rebuildable, so I assumed he had a cassette anyway.

|

2/16/2018 6:42 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

*edit*

ggallin422 wrote:

Cassettes, and freewheels work almost exactly the same, so it doesn't really matter, although freewheels are generally not ...more

Well I re-read his thread and the pawl and spring part gave me pause.

Freecoasters don't have pawls, so I realized my experience wouldn't apply. I had an issue with 2 different kinds of freecoasters kind of 'popping' or getting stuck the instant I let off pedal pressure, but I again that's a different issue altogether.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/17/2018 7:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/17/2018 7:49 AM

Since it seems to be pressure related. And you are certain the noise is coming from the rear wheel area, I'd be concerned about the bearings. I also wouldn't count out chain wear either. You can take it to your LBS & they should have a tool to check it. If it's worn too bad, it could also have worth your driver (and probably your sprocket too at that point). So, anyway, start with the chain. If it's worn, look at the driver & if it's worn, just replace the chain, driver, and sprocket since they will beef to be replaced anyway. When the driver is out, you can check the bearings. If they seem fine, reassemble & try it. If it still makes the sound, I'd just replace the bearings. If it comes to that, I'd disassemble the wheel, remove the bearings & before replacing, check the bearing seats to be sure they aren't bad.

|