freezing bb's

Related:
Create New Tag

1/12/2010 6:55 PM

i heard if you freeze your bottom bracket bearings, it makes them easier to put in, does this work? if so does it damage your bb at all?

|

refs- Tommyboy,mandingo215, lobo173, prophet,iridebmxeveryday,ctbmx86,1of1547,Warchol2,white knight,branBMX94,JakeSalbert

Subscribe to me on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/senika5634?feature=mhee

1/12/2010 6:55 PM

they arent hard to put in...

|

crystal meth

1/12/2010 6:58 PM

Harry95 wrote:

i said EASIER to put in

|

refs- Tommyboy,mandingo215, lobo173, prophet,iridebmxeveryday,ctbmx86,1of1547,Warchol2,white knight,branBMX94,JakeSalbert

1/12/2010 7:00 PM

Harry95 wrote:

carjakester wrote:

i said EASIER to put in

but since its not hard, why would you have to make it easier

|

crystal meth

1/12/2010 7:00 PM

Harry95 wrote:

carjakester wrote:

i said EASIER to put in

Harry95 wrote:

this

|

funtington wrote :Have a really fat friend who rides them and they are totally solid.
Then again he sucks at riding, then again he is fat as fuck.
refs: backagianthe4time, FTBZ,ScramHype(x2),,fitrider123,iridefly

1/12/2010 7:04 PM

Yes it can make it easier because the metal contracts and will make the bearing a little bit smaller thus easier to put in.

|

1/12/2010 7:04 PM

Harry95 wrote:

like not having to force it in with a block of wood and hammer

|

1/12/2010 7:05 PM

technically yes. because the metal would contract. but if you wanted to freeze em in a freezer you would have the problem of moisture which could cause some corrosion...

|

I ride 2 wheelers for stacks.

1/12/2010 7:08 PM

just hammer them in. it's fast, 2 minutes a bearing, tops. much faster than freezing and waiting. and the corrosion problem like Achin said.

|

1/12/2010 7:09 PM

ya it you can freeze the bb bearings and heat your bb on the frame with a blow torge then it will slide in nice

|

1/12/2010 7:10 PM

corrosion wont always happen, grease has a lower freezing temp then water, if its brand new your bearings wont be effected.

|

Trinity Bikes Freestyle Team! Bike Check Nigga!

1/12/2010 7:11 PM

Kenealy wrote:

just hammer them in. it's fast, 2 minutes a bearing, tops. much faster than freezing and waiting. and the corrosion problem like Achin said.

well my bearings are outside in the freezing garage already

|

1/12/2010 7:45 PM

that would shrink the metal like .000000000000000000001 of a inch

you would need to dip it into nitrogen to shrink it to make a differnce

|

1/12/2010 9:27 PM

AndySubrosa8 wrote:

ya it you can freeze the bb bearings and heat your bb on the frame with a blow torge then it will slide in nice

And burn your paint off, allowing the potential for corrosion on the frame.

Why not just put them in? Then you don't damage the bearings with possible corrosion, and the frame with potential to overheat, plus removing protective paint, which will lead to corrosion.

And streetskeet, it depends entirely on the grease. Some actually are more of a water based material, so they would be more prone to issues when you freeze them. Also, corrosion happens literally the second something is unprotected, it's just a matter of how long you let it go that way before you see the corrosion with your eyes, or protect it. (Especially aluminum, which usually isn't used in a BMX BB, point is still valid.)

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/12/2010 9:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2010 9:30 PM

AndySubrosa8 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Why not just put them in? Then you don't damage the bearings with possible corrosion, and the frame with potential to overheat, plus removing protective paint, which will lead to corrosion.

And streetskeet, it depends entirely on the grease. Some actually are more of a water based material, so they would be more prone to issues when you freeze them. Also, corrosion happens literally the second something is unprotected, it's just a matter of how long you let it go that way before you see the corrosion with your eyes, or protect it. (Especially aluminum, which usually isn't used in a BMX BB, point is still valid.)

ya i know lol thats how we replace the crank bearings in our dirtbikes so i thought it would work here.i hit it in with a hammer and big socket

|

1/12/2010 9:34 PM

AndySubrosa8 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

You are a smart fucker man. I love reading your posts, I always learn something new when I read them. I've said this many many times but whatever.

|

-Let me tell you something about you that you don't know...
-I don't like Fit.
-BLRBMX thought I was 23. Silly kid.
-Facebook

1/12/2010 11:15 PM

Freeze them, it definitely helps. Also make sure you don't hammer directly on the bearing race, use a piece of wood or something on top to protect it.

|

1/12/2010 11:27 PM

Harry95 wrote:

carjakester wrote:

i said EASIER to put in

Harry95 wrote:

jake ur a dumb ass

|

my wheel set puts your,s to shame ha ha ha !

1/12/2010 11:41 PM

just hit them in with a block of wood and a hammer like a man

|

"Forget 'today', 'today' is just tomorrow, disguised as yesterday"
TRANSPORTATION CHECK
Refs: ThrowAfit, 2funny4u, ridebmx456, spikez5, irideafly and a bunch of others, I'M LEGIT.
email= element4all@yahoo.com
facebook.
Instagram