front and rear rim, need opinion.

Related:
Create New Tag

4/26/2015 5:21 AM

Hey guys, I got an eastern diode rim and an alienation runaway stay strong rim. Which goes to the rear and to the front?. As far as I know. The eastern diode is made of 7075 which makes it stronger and lighter than 6069 on the runaway. But the runaway has cross lace pattern that makes the rim sturdier. I'll be lacing the rear with an Ezra coaster.

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

4/26/2015 5:25 AM

Either way but I'd probably put the runaway in front and the diode in the back

|

I like to shred

4/26/2015 11:07 AM

Okay, so do you agree that the diode is the stronger rim? I'm also putting brakes on the rear.

|

4/26/2015 6:51 PM

neophyte16 wrote:

Okay, so do you agree that the diode is the stronger rim? I'm also putting brakes on the rear.

I may be wrong, but I'd say it's stronger. And the brakes shouldn't effect the strength of the rim.

|

I like to shred

4/26/2015 7:28 PM

I don't know if 6069 series aluminum is weaker than 7075, you're probably thinking of 6061.

G-Sport George said something in a previous thread on here about the series of aluminum and how different 6k series can in fact be stronger than 7k. I'll just copy/paste it here instead of paraphrasing it.

"The first number is a reference to the alloying materials rather than strength, it is overly simplistic to think that 7000 is better than 6000 (or even 2000)
There is virtually no difference in stiffness between most alloys.

There are 7000 series alloys (such as 7075) that are much stronger than most 6000 series alloys, BUT there are also 6000 series materials that are significantly stronger than some 7000 series alloys, and even 2000 series materials (like 2014) that are way up there.

However, the strongest 7000 series alloys dont really lend themselves well to extrusion or welding, so 7000 series rims (and frames etc) tend to be made of 7005 or similar and there are 6000 series materials (such as the one we use for the Ribcage) which are much stronger than 7005.

With any materials selection choice there is always a lot more to consider than just the headline numbers.

I hope this helps.

G."

That being said, I'd personally go with the Runaway in the rear just because it's cross laced and will give you a stiffer wheel overall which you don't necessarily need in the front as much as the rear.

As for the brakes, I think the Runaway rim is anodized black (Not completely sure though) and the Eastern is painted, so the Runaway will actually be better for brakes since the brake pads won't have to wear down the paint on the Eastern rim before they work really good.

|

4/27/2015 3:27 AM

Thanks SundaybmxRR, nice find. Also read something about 7075 being Stiffer than 6k that it won't withstand huge drops. It would break rather than bend.

|