front end drastically heavier after replacing grips?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/9/2017 9:32 AM

i have a 2017 Sunday scout and spent the entire summer riding it. the grips it came with are the odyssey broc railford grips. recently, i bought the exact same grips, just a different colour, and put them on my bike. my bike is basically unusable now, and it seems almost impossible to bring up my front end more than 5 inches. does anyone know why replacing the grips on my bike made my bike’s front end so heavy? thanks!

|

11/9/2017 9:34 AM

zachxgomes wrote:

i have a 2017 Sunday scout and spent the entire summer riding it. the grips it came with are the odyssey broc railford grips. ...more

are you fucking with us bro? You Obviously need to start cranking a few more out each day buds...10 ply.

|

11/9/2017 9:36 AM

What color did you buy?

|

11/9/2017 9:56 AM

Ummmmm okay....blink

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/9/2017 9:57 AM

You need 4130 chromo grips.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

11/9/2017 10:03 AM

Black is obviously the lightest color. Did you buy red grips? Red is the heaviest color.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

11/9/2017 10:07 AM

Did you take off one grip at a time or both at once? My guess is that you probably let the helium out of the bars when you took off the old grips. You have to take them off one at a time (or both at the same time, I forget which) so as not to create a vacuum which will let the helium out. Some people have turned their bikes upside down while changing their grips to help keep the helium in. If you let out the helium, you have no choice but to go to a helium dealer & have them refill your bars.

|

11/9/2017 10:16 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Did you take off one grip at a time or both at once? My guess is that you probably let the helium out of the bars when you ...more

Oh yeah! I forgot about that! I remember the first time I replaced my grips I didn't know there was helium on them and then I took it to my local bike shop and they told me I let the helium out of my bars... so I got them refilled and it felt sooooo much better...

|

11/9/2017 10:33 AM

When your grips wear down your front end loses about 5lb. When you replace them it feels much heavier because you have that weight back on your bike.

|

11/9/2017 11:48 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Did you take off one grip at a time or both at once? My guess is that you probably let the helium out of the bars when you ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Oh yeah! I forgot about that! I remember the first time I replaced my grips I didn't know there was helium on them and then I ...more

That's back before they regulated helium distribution. It's a big pain in the ass now & not everyone can do it. That's why most bike shops no longer carry helium.

|

11/9/2017 12:47 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Oh yeah! I forgot about that! I remember the first time I replaced my grips I didn't know there was helium on them and then I ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

That's back before they regulated helium distribution. It's a big pain in the ass now & not everyone can do it. That's why ...more

Noooobs!!! Helium's too heavy! I only use hydrogen or a perfect vacuum....

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

11/9/2017 12:54 PM

it’s because you put them on upside down

|

11/9/2017 12:58 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Noooobs!!! Helium's too heavy! I only use hydrogen or a perfect vacuum....

This!

|

11/9/2017 2:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2017 7:22 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Black is obviously the lightest color. Did you buy red grips? Red is the heaviest color.

obviously the colour doesn’t change the weight. i see how people misinterpreted what i said now lol...

EDIT: the colour of the grips has affected the weight. i just switched them again and my bike is lighter with black grips

|

11/9/2017 2:37 PM

jmz313 wrote:

What color did you buy?

I got the black sunday with 4 pce bars and gum tires.

|

11/9/2017 2:38 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

are you joking or serious? this sounds a bit ridiculous tbh.

|

11/9/2017 2:39 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

you guys are shitting me

|

11/9/2017 2:39 PM

Amazing thread. If this is trolling, it's trolling of the highest calibre.

|

11/9/2017 2:44 PM

zachxgomes wrote:

obviously the colour doesn’t change the weight. i see how people misinterpreted what i said now lol...

EDIT: the colour of ...more

Just kidding around with you. I'm a car guy, and they say black is the fastest color.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

11/9/2017 2:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2017 3:08 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

zachxgomes wrote:

Unless your new grips are made of lead, gold, or some other super-heavy metal, there's no way changing your grips makes the front end of your bike heavier. So, yeah... I'm screwing with you.

|

11/9/2017 3:02 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Unless your new grips are made of lead, gold, or some other super-heavy metal, there's no way changing your grips makes the ...more

Yep this right here... there is no way replacing grips will effect the way your bike works... So maybe a member ship to a local gym would be a good idea...

|

11/9/2017 3:26 PM

Let them break in, or get thicker grips like ODI longnecks.

|

please embed videos

My art c:

bought from: Mario.villegas90, robinson79
[b]

11/9/2017 3:27 PM

zachxgomes wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Unless your new grips are made of lead, gold, or some other super-heavy metal, there's no way changing your grips makes the ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yep this right here... there is no way replacing grips will effect the way your bike works... So maybe a member ship to a ...more

surprisingly, i put my old grips back on and it’s lighter. so i think it might be the colour of my new ones, or it might need helium still

|

11/9/2017 3:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2017 3:34 PM

zachxgomes wrote:

surprisingly, i put my old grips back on and it’s lighter. so i think it might be the colour of my new ones, or it might need ...more

Are you sure grip isn't the main factor?

|

please embed videos

My art c:

bought from: Mario.villegas90, robinson79
[b]

11/9/2017 4:17 PM

jmz313 wrote:

What color did you buy?

zachxgomes wrote:

I got the black sunday with 4 pce bars and gum tires.

So, you changed your bars as well?

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

11/9/2017 4:33 PM

It's not heavier dude maybe if it's a thick grip you got used to it when it was worn down. You could buy thinner grips or you could wait 2 days for it to feel normal

|

Hmmm

11/9/2017 5:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2017 5:03 PM

Holy crap... Dude. This is either genius level trolling or you need a gym. Are you saying you changed your bars and your grips and your wheel. Because that would make a difference, grips however will not will not change weight. I have a feeling your swapping grips means along with the bars still on em.... This thread hurt my faith in humanity.

|

11/9/2017 5:44 PM

lead grips?there a lot heavier than rubber ones

|

11/9/2017 5:56 PM

Can't get it up? They make pills for that.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

11/9/2017 7:16 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Can't get it up? They make pills for that.

wait, actually? can you find them at local bike shops or do you have to buy them on source bmx or 3 ride or something? and also how do they work

|