frustration with our club track

Related:
Create New Tag

4/26/2018 12:50 AM

I wonder if anyone else has the issues we have...
Our track is local authority as are quite a few but it also had a grant to build the track from a piece of wasteland to a bmx track. This was some 6 years ago now and since then we have used it to create a great bmx club with riders aged 3 to 50! We are now at a point where the club wants to grow. Our track is ok but we need adjustments to help our budding young riders to succeed. Our main request is a 4 man start gate in situ. We have a mobile one but its bulky and can be temperamental.
Because the track has rules to adhere to because of the funding it received the council are saying 'its doubtful' or 'the health and safety wont pass the insurers due to the publics safety'.
We want to grow as a club but unfortunately the land were on just isnt on our side, its a track solely for public use and not to support the Towns BMX club. I just wondered if anyone else has a minefield of red tape to deal with as a part of running a local club and if you have any tips on where we should go next! Stay put or raise funds to ultimately sort ourselves out!!! Thanks

|

4/26/2018 2:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/26/2018 2:57 AM

We barely have any racers here on Vital, but I’m sure somebody here has something useful.

I am not that somebody. sad

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/26/2018 3:53 AM

Fundraising, buy the gate yourself, get public liability insurance, clear all this with the local authority first. A lot of tracks and trails have to do similar things

|

4/26/2018 6:59 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Fundraising, buy the gate yourself, get public liability insurance, clear all this with the local authority first. A lot of ...more

Ideally thats our plan... local authority are very cautious about it getting damaged then the remainder injuring a person when were not on site! But i guess thats what public liability insurance is for and the gate provider i guess would have appropriate safety guidelines otherwise nobody would use them! Thanks for your comment

|

4/26/2018 10:21 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Fundraising, buy the gate yourself, get public liability insurance, clear all this with the local authority first. A lot of ...more

george.dragon wrote:

Ideally thats our plan... local authority are very cautious about it getting damaged then the remainder injuring a person when ...more

Our track here is public and we have an 8 person gate. It's hydraulic so they just put the gate down when there is no races or practice and take the controller home. There's no way to get that gate up without the control box so there is no way for it to get damaged when not in use.

|

4/27/2018 5:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/27/2018 5:51 AM

Contact the folks from Pineview Park BMX track in St Cloud Minnesota-it is the hometown track of Alise Post (Olympian for USA married to Sam Whilloughby) and ask some advise-they are AWESOME when it comes to BMX racing and put our town on the map in that aspect.

You can find them on Facebook-they may take a couple days to answer as they are pretty busy getting things ready for the season.

As to the gate aspect-is there any way to accept donations from the public? If there is-try a kickstarter or something similar-or even hold a fundraiser-ask for donations of items and have a silent auction for the items with proceeds going to the gate.

Locally the gate is hydraulic-you could see if there is a company that makes them OR see if a local welding/machine shop could build something for you. For the most part it is a metal grate with some framework and a hydraulic ram to lift and lower the gate-and it is set into the roll in for the track. When not in use the gate is down, and the controller (like above) is locked up and not accessible to some random idiot who shows up.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura