g-sport gland

Related:
Create New Tag

11/24/2016 12:09 AM

Opinions on the g-sport gland mk4 hub guards?

|

11/24/2016 12:53 AM

It's ok, i personally have never used it but i almost bought it.
I have seen reviews about the zipties breaking from the rubbing when grinding but some people are fine with them.
I personally love the merrit tension plastic guard, very similar bit is a bit smaller and looks way better, Also merrit done a test with an angle grinder on this plastic guard for a while and it held up and if that doesn't convince you then i dont know what will haha, check out the video! It slides well, protects the spokes and in my case the hub as well and i have had it for almost a year and its holding up amazing.
The merrit guard is for the front. Also, since the guards rotates with the wheel and isnt fixed onto the hub you dont have to worry about rotating it when you get flat spots like fixed guards. Also plastic slides better haha.
Only thing is that there is a metal ring that comes with it to install it on your spokes is annoying to install and can make clunking sounds if not done right of if it loses tension over time so I recommended getting a packet of small zip ties for like a couple of dollars and using the L shaped taps to wrap the zip ties around to the spokes, it makes it so much more dialled and when you cut off the excess you cant really even notice the zip ties.
I believe both guards are pretty much universal but i choose merit of the gsport.
Hope that helps dude.

|

11/24/2016 2:26 AM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

I have seen reviews about the zipties breaking from the rubbing when grinding but some people are fine with them.
I personally love the merrit tension plastic guard, very similar bit is a bit smaller and looks way better, Also merrit done a test with an angle grinder on this plastic guard for a while and it held up and if that doesn't convince you then i dont know what will haha, check out the video! It slides well, protects the spokes and in my case the hub as well and i have had it for almost a year and its holding up amazing.
The merrit guard is for the front. Also, since the guards rotates with the wheel and isnt fixed onto the hub you dont have to worry about rotating it when you get flat spots like fixed guards. Also plastic slides better haha.
Only thing is that there is a metal ring that comes with it to install it on your spokes is annoying to install and can make clunking sounds if not done right of if it loses tension over time so I recommended getting a packet of small zip ties for like a couple of dollars and using the L shaped taps to wrap the zip ties around to the spokes, it makes it so much more dialled and when you cut off the excess you cant really even notice the zip ties.
I believe both guards are pretty much universal but i choose merit of the gsport.
Hope that helps dude.

Ok I will look at the merrit one then, hopefully its compatible with colony hubs

|

11/24/2016 2:57 AM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

Hope that helps dude.

mikeyyg wrote:

Ok I will look at the merrit one then, hopefully its compatible with colony hubs

Yeah it should work fine.
What colony hubs do you have as there are some colony guards made for the matching colony hub.
Personally, I couldn't find any guards that where made specifically so i got the merrit for the front and the saltplus universal for the back (both non drive side).

|

11/24/2016 3:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/24/2016 3:09 AM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

Yeah it should work fine.
What colony hubs do you have as there are some colony guards made for the matching colony hub.
Personally, I couldn't find any guards that where made specifically so i got the merrit for the front and the saltplus universal for the back (both non drive side).

Yes there are the Colony wasp hub guards, but they had some bad reviews saying this http://prnt.sc/db6lt1
So i wasn't sure if I should get them.

|

11/24/2016 6:44 AM

Its alright, I run a front and a rear one. Only problem is that the front doesn't really provide a smooth transition from peg to fork to guard so you can get wedged up in square coping. Steel guards work better but I dont feel like shelling out the money at the moment.

|

11/24/2016 7:29 AM

mikeyyg wrote:

Opinions on the g-sport gland mk4 hub guards?

I use glands on my grind side and jersey barriers on the non grind side. I've had the same glands on the front and rear for over 2 years and they're still good and the spokes and hub have barely any damage whereas the side with the jersey barriers has more bent spokes even though I grind less on it. So yes, the gland is 100% worth it. The only downside is they're big and ugly but if you're not tryna have sex with the other boys at the park, it shouldn't be a problem.

|

11/24/2016 11:56 AM

I bought the glands a few weeks ago and they seem good to me. They were cheap and they are light but yes you will brake zip ties, or at least I do regularly. The guard still functions fine after breaking one or two ties and putting new ones on is a quick task...

I think the old ones were bigger than the current ones. I think they look fine. I would buy them again.

|

11/24/2016 3:19 PM

I have an MK3 gland, been running it for about 6 months. It's held up great, and offers good protection for the hub and spokes.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

11/24/2016 7:02 PM

the spokes underneath my gland always end up bashed in and deformed around the ends of the flange and then they all snap near the J within a year. and then it is a bitch to replace spoke and relace guard everytime

but its ounces lighter than all the other hubguards so that is what i use.

|

wallride a bus everyday

11/26/2016 2:47 PM

It'll ruin your spokes, the zip ties break each session and the strap is useless. Go for the merritt, unlike the gland it doesn't seem to be made with the intention to break your spokes.

|

11/28/2016 2:32 PM

Ones is 2

|

11/29/2016 8:09 AM

i'm running a gland for the 2nd time now and it works fine. i had problems with zip ties breaking at the very beginning when i originally got it but not since then, so i'm chalking it up to installation error on my part. it grinds pretty smooth but you can get hung up a bit, and keep in mind that since it attaches to the spokes doesn't absorb impact like regular guards do, and especially if you spin into a grind you can run the risks of still fucking your spokes up (the guard will just act as a buffer)
that being said I've had no complaints and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

7/13/2020 12:28 AM

What’s the best way to tie the shoe lace or manly strap on the GSport gland so it doesn’t fall off?

|

7/13/2020 12:45 AM

holy dead thread, son.

google exists..

|

7/13/2020 12:51 AM

pnj wrote:

holy dead thread, son.

google exists..

Lmao Ik I saw that vid but the knot doesn’t seem like it stays tight idk

|