getting back into it

Related:
Create New Tag

11/29/2016 1:03 PM

So after about 11 years of being off my bike im finnally starting to get back into riding. 11 years ago i traded in my bmx for a skateboard. I loved skateboarding, but my body doesnt anymore. After 3 surgeries and i honestly dont even know how many broken bones, and several cunsussions. My body is beat. Im turning 30 next month so im retiring my skateboard and trading it for a bike. Bmx is hugely popular in my town. Ever since jake sealey went pro. Hes from my town. I used to watch him kill it at the skatepark when he was a little kid. Anyway ive noticed biking is much easier on my knees, and i hate to say this but its just easier in general than skateboarding. You dont get handlebars on a skateboard. Ive also seen that a lot of bmx pros still ride into thier 40s maybe even longer. Skateboarders usually retire before 30. Anyone else notice that? I see a lot more older guys on bikes then skateboards. Anyone that skates too, do you think its easier on your body? The only problem im having on my bike that i didnt have on my board is back pain. Bigger bars are on thier way so hopefully that helps. Ok rant over

|

11/29/2016 1:10 PM

I used to skate, and bmx is definitely easier! Both technically, and on your body! Although, there's still plenty of older skaters around too, they just stay out of the lime light I guess? I look up to a lot of the older riders a lot. They've got past the whole "being good" thing and seem to smile a lot more than the stressy cool younger pro's!

As a side note, I found taller bars made my back worse. They make your bike feel twitchier, so I was having to put a lot more effort into keeping control of my bike. It's personal preference though, so you should give it a try. Then play around with your stem to dial it in

|

11/29/2016 1:21 PM

I was told that bigger bars were the best solution for back pain, so I hope that works out for me. I'm going from 7.75 to 8.75. I didn't realize they would change the way my bike handles either, but it makes sense. I'm not going crazy big anyway. I think those 10 inch bars just look stupid, but maybe they feel good. As for the older riders. I do see a lot more of the old guys still riding, and that's awesome. All the skaters that were around when I was a kid are gone. I think the average pro skaters career is like 3 years lol. Thanks for the reply man

|

11/29/2016 1:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2016 1:52 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

I was told that bigger bars were the best solution for back pain, so I hope that works out for me. I'm going from 7.75 to ...more

I guess that, in theory, taller bars are more comfortable for just plain riding. But, like Steve said, the control of the bike and what you're doing with it determines how comfortable things really are.

I have been running 8.5" rise for about three years now, but, after a few weeks of riding a S&M PERFECT 10" bar on my friend's setup, I went ahead and ordered one for myself. Found a great deal, so I hopped on it. I love the feeling of the height and the control it gives me. Riders far taller than me, of course, don't run anything this high because it all comes down to personal preference at the end of the day. But everyone grows more and more used to their own setups every time they ride.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

11/29/2016 2:12 PM

Yeah I guess it all just comes down to trial and error. I honestly don't even have any friends that ride yet, all my skater friends that were my age quit a long time ago, but I still had a few younger kids I skated with. So for now I'm on my own trying to figure out what I like best. So far I think I've been getting lucky because I'm loving my new frame. I have a custom wheel on the way. I got the kink incite rear hub at danscomp on sale for $50 and laced it to a fly pyrimide rim, a 25t primo solid v2, and the new bars. This is to replace the 13/36 setup I somehow Jammed onto my frame. And some cheap rant 4 piece bars that were on sale for $28. Figured I couldn't go wrong at that price

|

11/29/2016 2:14 PM

Also I'm hoping it's also a matter of my muscles adjusting to riding, and getting stronger

|

11/29/2016 2:25 PM

8.75 isn't really that high so you'll probably be fine. I'm running 9" bars with a front load and am tempted to get 8.75 bars. 9" with a topload felt crazy to me. I only have a 5mm stack on my headset too. So when you get new forks you can play around with the stack height to get it dialled in too

|

11/29/2016 2:45 PM

Yeah I have a topload as well. I figure if I don't like them I'll just get something else. I plan on upgrading the bars at some point anyway. I'd like to get the 4 piece fit Benny's to match my frame eventually.

|

11/29/2016 3:58 PM

The old guys I know that skate mostly just pump bowls. Fully padded up. Nothing wrong with that at all.

The old guys I know that still ride bmx mostly ride dirt jumps/trails.

|

11/30/2016 8:45 AM

I'm in a similar situation. I'm 40, skated my whole life and I'm broken. My right ankle is ruined. It hurts a lot to even push a skateboard now. Pedaling actually makes it feel much better and I don't limp as much as I used to. My shoulders are sore though. Not injury sore but working out sore. I would imagine it depends on how far you want to push it as far as whether or not you're going to get injured as much as skating.

|

11/30/2016 9:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/30/2016 9:33 AM

Yeah the lower impact is very nice on my beat up knees. I've had surgery on my right knee, left shoulder, I have a pin in my wrist that was never removed, a plate and six screws in my left arm, and last but not least a plate and 22 staples in my head. Oh and so many Broken bones I've lost count. Lol. After a day out on my bike im a little sore, but know where near as bad as a day on my board. Skateboarding is 80 percent falling. Bikes seem more like 80 percent landings lol

|