getting back into riding, need advice

Related:
Create New Tag

7/16/2017 8:26 PM

So i stopped riding ~5-6years ago and am looking for a bike to start riding again.
Since im pretty much out of the loop regarding parts, the popular companies etc. i would appreciate it if you guys could give me some advice on what to buy.
My Budget is around 700€ and im 5,7 so i'd probably need a shorter frame.
Will mostly be riding trails (the jumps have slopestyle size) and park.

Most of the new completes that i found are pretty heavy ~11.5-12.5kg (25-27lbs), so im not really sure what to do.

Well, i also looked into used bike market and found one that stuck out to me. Seller claims that its barely ridden, build in 2015 and has following parts:

Frame: BSD the Beverage (20.3")
Fork: Mankind Forward
Bars: Mankind
Cranks: WTP Royal
Sprocket: BSD Superlite
Pedals: Eclat
Rims: Alienation
Tires: KHE Mac 2
Hubs: Profile mini front & Profile mini with racing axle rear
Brakes: The Shadow with Eclat lever
Stem: Profile racing Acoustic (glow in the dark)
Seat: WTP

Apparently weights 10.1kg (22.27lbs) and hes asking for 700.
Is the price appropriate for the parts?

cheers

|

7/16/2017 9:28 PM

I got a colony sweet tooth pro. about at your price tag, light-ish and bullet proof.

there's lots of good companies, man. generally, the best bikes are made of american chromoly. I personally also like WTP, Colony and BSD.

At 5'7 a 20.3 frame might be a bit on the small side for you. Also, why not just buy yourself a new rig altogether. 2018 completes come out soon. Kink, Sunday and Colony are already out. Have a look at those. All great companies.

luck 2 you

|

7/17/2017 12:19 AM

Yeah that frame would probably be a little short. And he's asking too much in my opinion. Around here there's so many second hand bikes/parts he'd be lucky to get £200 for it.

Keep your eyes peeled for a better deal on a second hand bike, and Google the parts so you can check the spec. For mostly trails and park you'll want something pretty stable with a longer chainstay.
But, your budget is enough to get a pretty decent complete. Look for full Chromoly frame, forks, bars, and cranks, double wall rims, and sealed bearings throughout. Every bike in that price range will be similar quality

|

7/17/2017 10:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2017 10:16 AM

It largely depends on your used market prices in whatever area of Germany your in, keep an eye on them in the coming weeks, as Steve said that would never sell here for that price, I got a £450 WTP for £40 used, In the UK anything at 50% of the retail value or over usually sits around and doesn't sell in my opinion, stuff that tends to sell in around a week is usually around 30%-40% of retail price, it wont take you long to get an idea of what your used market values are, and you should be able to pick up a decent used bike for half what your looking at if the markets anything like here, condition of bike makes a big difference too, Mines was quite rough cosmetically, but fine mechanically, but seeing as i knewi would be pulling it apart when the weather goes bad and changing cosmetics that didn't bother me, hence the price.

Brands to check for would be

Cult
Haro
WeThePeople (German Company)
BSD
Stolen
FIT
Eastern
KHE (German Company)
Total
S&M
FBM

there's plenty more but that should get you started

|

7/17/2017 3:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2017 3:44 PM

I wouldn't pay more than $400 personally, but if you really like it I guess $500 wouldn't be too unreasonable. It sounds like a nice bike anyway. Offer 450 and go from there. 700 is a bit much. You might want to look for something around 20.5+ for your size but I don't think 20.3 is really too small for you either.

|

7/18/2017 9:57 AM

Thanks for the answers so far.
Skimmed through used market all morning, seems like most of the bikes are overpriced af around my area.
Found one with profile mini hubs, premium guttershark frame that supposedly weights 8,9kg (~19.6lbs). Small bit of hub flange is broken off, frame is rusty and it's still overpriced with 620€.

Also had a look at the sunday,kink & colony completes, didn't like the sunday bikes that much. Kink bikes were alright, but i don't need a freecoaster and both of the top models have one.
Colony on the other hand...the sweet tooth pro is sick (http://colonybmx.com.au/products/2018-sweet-tooth-pro/), sadly it probably will be pretty hard to get one over here.

Btw. since sunday, kink & colony 2018er completes are already out, shouldn't fit/cult etc. follow soon?

cheers

|