getting into bmx racing...

Related:
Create New Tag

11/11/2017 5:38 AM

as you read in the title im thinking of getting into bmx racing does anyone have any experience. I also know the costs (membership,race fees,parts breaking) my budget is 500$ for the bike only, do you think this is any good.
https://www.jrbicycles.com/dk-2018-sprinter-pro-bike
or a more higher priced option but it fits me better
https://www.jrbicycles.com/chase-2018-edge-pro-xl-bike-black-red

also ive been at the track for 2 weeks now so i know im commited

|

11/11/2017 7:24 AM

Yeah I think the second one you linked is better... because buying a cheaper bike is generally more expensive in the long run... but like I said the second one is better...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/11/2017 9:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2017 9:22 AM

Or buy a redline... They should have what you need and a respected name as well. Chase is a better bike and 3 lbs lighter than the dk.

|

11/11/2017 11:52 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah I think the second one you linked is better... because buying a cheaper bike is generally more expensive in the long ...more

yea im thinking about getting the chase because it has more adjustments

|

11/11/2017 11:54 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Or buy a redline... They should have what you need and a respected name as well. Chase is a better bike and 3 lbs lighter than ...more

their site is down right now for me. yea im probably just going to get the chase

|

11/11/2017 12:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2017 12:07 PM

Cool you also want to be thinking about your safety gear. Helmet should be top priority. You can also look at haro annex etc but they might be a bit heavier. Also look at se bikes as a pk ripper is an awesome start.

|

11/11/2017 12:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2017 12:39 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Cool you also want to be thinking about your safety gear. Helmet should be top priority. You can also look at haro annex etc ...more

At my track I'm planning on racing to they have free safety gear like helmets, yea I want a 20 inch bike becouse I know how to work on them the most and what limits they have. Thanks for all the advice also weight not a big deal to me

|

11/11/2017 5:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2017 5:05 PM

Weight should be a huge deal to you. You are talking points of seconds and any advantage you can have you should be exploitating to the fullest. Remember fangios rule... If the car is controllable, you aren't going fast enough... 3 lbs is a huge difference.

|

11/11/2017 5:49 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Weight should be a huge deal to you. You are talking points of seconds and any advantage you can have you should be ...more

Ok I didn't know that, what's you take on clipless pedals I'm think on getting it for that added benifit of not slipping and more power

|

11/11/2017 5:59 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Weight should be a huge deal to you. You are talking points of seconds and any advantage you can have you should be ...more

merk20 wrote:

Ok I didn't know that, what's you take on clipless pedals I'm think on getting it for that added benifit of not slipping and ...more

Yeah definitely get platorm pedals... clip in pedals are really weird becasue it makes you bail weird and can make crashes worse becasue it keeps you locked to the bike...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/11/2017 6:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2017 6:04 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah definitely get platorm pedals... clip in pedals are really weird becasue it makes you bail weird and can make crashes ...more

True but I see a lot of rider use them at my track but I'll just use the pedels that the bike comes with. Or just get some aluminum ones.

|

11/12/2017 11:17 AM

Clip in pedals shouldn't even be legal in BMX racing. Especially for kids. Scary watching people yard sale with a bike stuck to their feet.

|

11/12/2017 2:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/12/2017 2:13 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

merk20 wrote:

Ok I didn't know that, what's you take on clipless pedals I'm think on getting it for that added benifit of not slipping and ...more

Power will come from 1. You 2. Sprocket and crank size 3. Mostly you. 4. Just start riding that track as balls out fast as you can, Olympic level bmx racing is insane... Peddle peddle peddle and its all over in a minute. Stop worrying about upgrades and horse shit, buy the lightest bike you can and ride the hell out of it. Its not the bike that wins the race its the rider.

|

11/12/2017 2:32 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Power will come from 1. You 2. Sprocket and crank size 3. Mostly you. 4. Just start riding that track as balls out fast as you ...more

Well thanks for the advice. Balls out it is.

|

11/12/2017 4:40 PM

No worries man, I hope you do well, that chase is loaded, tioga power blocks, tektro brakes, double wall rims sealed everything and a kmc chain , just rip with her until something breaks.

|

11/12/2017 4:43 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

No worries man, I hope you do well, that chase is loaded, tioga power blocks, tektro brakes, double wall rims sealed ...more

Yea me and my friend are going next Friday before I get my bike to see if he wants to do it as well. It's going to be really fun

|

11/21/2017 4:50 PM

merk20 wrote:

3 year racer here with 3 kids who race.

You start off as a Novice, you can't "clip in" until you hit Intermediate anyways (10 wins). There's no reason to rush into clipping in. Learn bike control on flats. It's worth buying a nice set of flat pedals if the ones your bike comes with don't offer much grip. Check out the Sun Ringle ZuZus. They work well with Vans. Others like FiveTen shoes, but I haven't looked too far into it on which bottoms.

Chase makes a great bike, but at $550 ($467 with their coupon code), you can find some awesome used custom completes on the various FB BMX race groups. The race people know EVERY single component on their bike down to the last bolt, you'll know what you're buying. Unlike the street/park guys who are selling a "Fit" bike but don't know a thing about it. Also most race stuff isn't thrashed and bashed like this stuff. I've bought tons and tons of used race stuff. It's worth a look.

But yeah, if you want a new complete, the Chase is a good one.

|

11/21/2017 6:30 PM

DaveBMX540 wrote:

3 year racer here with 3 kids who race.

You start off as a Novice, you can't "clip in" until you hit Intermediate anyways (10 ...more

ok, i didn't know that, but I'm thinking about getting new, well because its new. also do you have that coupon code i could really use it.

|

11/22/2017 7:10 AM

red bikes go faster. its science.

|

It’s all bmx

11/24/2017 7:26 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

red bikes go faster. its science.

Trans gold.

|