going from 19.3tt to 20.3tt - noticeable difference?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/26/2017 9:45 AM

I've been riding my Autum Razzia 19.3TT with 12.5 Chainstays off and on for the better part of 2 years. I have since picked up a LOT more street style riding while also making progress in flatland. I am looking to buy a new frame that will accommodate a 14mm axle freecoaster, but with the same or similar short chainstay length. This leaves me with a dilemma:

1) Have a custom frame made with the dropouts I'm looking for and a similar sized TT.

OR

2) Buy a street style frame with the same chainstay length. I had in mind the BSD ALVX in 20.3 TT that has 12.5 CS. This would be a full inch bigger than my current Razzia TT.

I'm terrified that I will drop the money on the BSD and end up hating the longer TT. I would like some input on this. I am running a 35mm stem and some Animal Scerbo bars with 15mm offset forks.

Another concern is the full degree of deviation in the headtube angle: from 74.5 to 75.5

|

references: teachbmxcharlie (vital), you (globalflat), bhaverchuck (globalflat), diggerbrown (globalflat), johnu773 (globalflat), richiequamen (globalflat), DiabloM3 (globalflat), christianhethemurray (globalflat), ground2air (globalflat), hboost (globalflat), jsoh (globalflat)

3/26/2017 10:32 AM

have you thought of grinding / filing down the dropout slots?

|

3/26/2017 11:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/26/2017 11:45 AM

Just get a modern flatland frame. Like the s&m intrikat, that comes in 19.5 with a 12.75 chainstay. Have a look at the flatlandfuel website, there's loads of frames on there that will be cheaper than a custom

Edit: I misread this slightly, but I'm sure you can find a frame that will do what you want if you look around. I'm a member of a group on Facebook, there's a guy on their with the intrikat that rides a bit of ramp and street, as well as flatland

|

3/26/2017 11:47 AM

tiho wrote:

Haven't given it any serious consideration. I don't have the equipment, nor the motivation to pay someone to grind/machine them. I'd sooner hang it on the wall than mutilate it. I guess that is to say I love the Razzia enough not to mess with it if that makes sense. Sentimental at this point

|

references: teachbmxcharlie (vital), you (globalflat), bhaverchuck (globalflat), diggerbrown (globalflat), johnu773 (globalflat), richiequamen (globalflat), DiabloM3 (globalflat), christianhethemurray (globalflat), ground2air (globalflat), hboost (globalflat), jsoh (globalflat)

3/26/2017 12:02 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Just get a modern flatland frame. Like the s&m intrikat, that comes in 19.5 with a 12.75 chainstay. Have a look at the ...more

The intrikats I see have a 13" rear end. A little longer than I'd like

|

3/26/2017 12:10 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Just get a modern flatland frame. Like the s&m intrikat, that comes in 19.5 with a 12.75 chainstay. Have a look at the ...more

dcochran4 wrote:

The intrikats I see have a 13" rear end. A little longer than I'd like

According to the s&m website they're 12.75. And that extra 1/4" will feel a little more stable for street

|

3/26/2017 12:37 PM

tiho wrote:

dcochran4 wrote:

Haven't given it any serious consideration. I don't have the equipment, nor the motivation to pay someone to grind/machine ...more

you can do it by yourself lol its like 10 mins of work

|

3/26/2017 1:43 PM

Eastern has a frame that's 19.7 for under 200

Fit also had the benny l frames for under 200 as well in a 20 in tobtube

|

It’s all bmx

3/26/2017 2:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/26/2017 2:56 PM

yeah get a cheap grinder from harbor freight for like $30. you'll be stoked. and if you want a little longer reach push your bars forward or get a longer stem

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

3/26/2017 3:48 PM

Will you notice the difference ? Yes definatly.
But this short ALVX seem to be a great option, I always thinked a short back end is far more important than a short top tube to get a responsive bike, and it's strong if you dig into street riding.
I tried a friend's alvx in 20.6" it's crazy how quick it feels, my friend is learning some great flat moves with it.
About the head tube angle, getting steeper is like going for a shorter fork offset.

|