good box jump dimensions for my setup

Related:
Create New Tag

2/20/2017 10:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/20/2017 11:36 AM

i have unlimited room and am making a little park in the backyard, me and my cuzin are beginners(first time on bikes without a motor in many many years and never have done any tricks before). we have a 8 foot quarter with a 9 1/2 foot radius and want to make a box jump right after the quarter, i want it to have 3 sides, a takeoff/landing and another landing on the left side, what would be a good safe size for us? i was thinking about 5 feet tall, 7 1/2 radius, 8 feet long and 8 or 12 feet wide. i want to be able to 360 it so im unsure if the 7 1/2 foot radius would be to sharp and would kick us.

also how would i go about making the box 4 sided so the all 4 corners are smooth and not just empty(if that makes sense)?

|

2/21/2017 11:48 AM

no response so i guess im going to wing it

|

2/21/2017 12:08 PM

gokitty199 wrote:

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff, but maybe something here can help -

http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/new-box-jump-plans,1256607

|

2/21/2017 12:17 PM

gokitty199 wrote:

I only have experience with building dirt so I don't really think about radii, just height and distance from kicker to lander.

You'd be better off if you did end up with it being a touch too steep, much easier to take some off than add some. It does sound like a pretty good sizing to me and sounds quite similar to things I've built in the past.

I'd say build the kicker and a bit of flat top and then decide how long you want the jump box, you'll get a better feel for it that way. Otherwise just see if you can find a similar setup elsewhere and see if it rides how you'd like or if you'd change something.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/21/2017 12:19 PM

Contact these dudes. They built their own indoor setup and are constantly changing...it has a wooden indoor trails section now.

www.ridethefactory.com

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/21/2017 10:17 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

I only have experience with building dirt so I don't really think about radii, just height and distance from kicker to lander. ...more

well i got started on making the shape today, its 5 feet tall with a 7 1/2 foot radius, it looks decent and not to steep and 8 feet long looks about right for that takeoff shape. i couldnt find anything officially, do they not have specific guidelines to follow at large events/contests/parks or is just about every box a little different?

|

2/21/2017 10:19 PM

gokitty199 wrote:

well i got started on making the shape today, its 5 feet tall with a 7 1/2 foot radius, it looks decent and not to steep and 8 ...more

Everything is a little different. Definitely no specific guidelines.

|

2/24/2017 1:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2017 1:48 PM

heres what i have made so far, ended up changing it to 4f tall, 7 1/2 radius, 8f long. after this its going to be a 6ft quarter, the lane beside that is going to be a bowl corner, spine, and a maybe a rail. only problem i have now is figuring out the landing, i want to be able to jump it backwards yet i want a smooth easy landing as well.

Photo

|

2/25/2017 11:20 AM

Make it 12 feet wide, 8 is scary to spin. Giving the landing a curve will make it feel better too

|

2/26/2017 9:37 AM

djfivejames wrote:

Make it 12 feet wide, 8 is scary to spin. Giving the landing a curve will make it feel better too

we may have to do that to everything we built so far, 8 feet seemed wide at the time but after hitting it it doesn't leave much room for error. we gave it a little curve at the top an one at the bottom

|

2/27/2017 11:14 AM

Where are you from? Hhaha.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/5/2017 10:06 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Where are you from? Hhaha.

virginia

|

3/5/2017 4:27 PM

That's looking pretty damn good so far, good stuff man, keep it up !

|