half link chain

Related:
Create New Tag

2/27/2017 8:24 PM

does anyone know how to put together a half link chain that has no master link? I do hav a chain break if that helps at all

|

2/27/2017 9:43 PM

Pretty sure just use a chainbreaker. My full-link hasn't got a master and my chainbreaker has worked every time so far.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

2/27/2017 10:15 PM

!. measure chain
2. Use chain breaker to cut chain to desired length (don't push the pin all the way out leave it in there just enough so you can take out the extra links)
3. put the two ends of your desired chain length together
4. push pin back in.
5. celebrate

|

2/27/2017 11:21 PM

Some cheap half links can only be put on and taken off once. They come with a pin already set up to be pushed through, but once it's in you can't take it back out without ruining the chain. And when you push any other pin out, the plate falls away from the roller.

Most normal chain breakers aren't able to accommodate the width of a half link chain

|

2/28/2017 10:26 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Some cheap half links can only be put on and taken off once. They come with a pin already set up to be pushed through, but ...more

Interesting, I've never come across a chain that can't be rebroken with perhaps the exception of a campy one(for road bikes) I came across a while back. It's quite easy to re-rivet the ones with the "floating" plates, you just have to be careful.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/28/2017 11:29 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Some cheap half links can only be put on and taken off once. They come with a pin already set up to be pushed through, but ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

Interesting, I've never come across a chain that can't be rebroken with perhaps the exception of a campy one(for road bikes) I ...more

Yeah it can be done. But they're not designed for it. Even with a good chain you're not supposed to re use pins/plates as you deform the hole every time you push a pin out.

I wouldn't trust it anyway

|

2/28/2017 6:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/28/2017 6:35 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Yeah it can be done. But they're not designed for it. Even with a good chain you're not supposed to re use pins/plates as you ...more

Ah right, didn't quite understand what you meant in the first post. I've never seen a good chain break at all except for installation error or abuse. I have seen some cheap-shit halflinks with pins so loose you could push them out with your fingers. Can't remember what chain it was but it started out fine and over time the stretch of the chain widened the holes to the point where one day it's owner ended up having to walk home with a bunch of loose plates, pins and rollers in hand laughing .

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson