halfpipe help

Related:
Create New Tag

9/26/2013 7:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/26/2013 7:06 PM

So there is a 10 foot tall halfpipe at my local park and i've been wanting to air it. I tried the other day, but when i would air instead of going higher up, I go like out towards the center of the pipe and bail out and drop to flat. Am i doing something wrong or is it just me being scared to go above the coping? BTW 10 feet doesn't sound that tall but it's damn scary.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

9/26/2013 7:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/26/2013 7:08 PM

yea it's all mental. pedal fast and just jump up, but not forward. then do that 180 in the air and carve back down. go watch "tom dugan how to air" on youtube. once you get used to it and you're not scared anymore, it's gets really easy to learn tricks. about 1 month into riding my first bmx bike, i could air about 4 feet out an 8 ft halfpipe, and throw in tables, bars, and tuck nos.

|

This week's Sweet Shoutout goes to: biggybuggy!

9/26/2013 7:24 PM

i can air above coping on a 6' quarter. I just cant do it on a halfpipe. Here's a video

|

bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

9/26/2013 7:29 PM

My friend was explaining this the other day, he can air vert walls and was telling us the key to airing vert walls is to not pull back at all. when you hit the coping, just go off it.

Say you're going really fast to clear a big stair set, you don't really have to bunnyhop for that so all you'd do there is pull back and let your speed carry you. That's what he said to do on the vert wall, just go fast and let your speed take you. Pulling back like you normally do when airing smaller quarters is what's causing you to land to flat

|

9/26/2013 7:54 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

My friend was explaining this the other day, he can air vert walls and was telling us the key to airing vert walls is to not pull back at all. when you hit the coping, just go off it.

Say you're going really fast to clear a big stair set, you don't really have to bunnyhop for that so all you'd do there is pull back and let your speed carry you. That's what he said to do on the vert wall, just go fast and let your speed take you. Pulling back like you normally do when airing smaller quarters is what's causing you to land to flat

^This. I actually had the reverse problem because I learned on a 8 ft vert. The vert does the boosting for you, so all you need is the speed from your pump. My problems happened when I started riding a 5 ft miniramp which doesn't have vert. I kept casing and doing accidental disasters because I wasn't pulling back. I was just so used letting the vert do all the work for airs, that I struggled. Good luck man, and you'll get it.

|

Winter is over-rated

Click here to check my ride

9/28/2013 5:10 PM

speed and don't pop off the top...........also go straight up and down the ramp............most people cant air worth shit because they waste their momentum carving up the ramp..........10 foots are fun

|

9/29/2013 10:16 AM

eskimojay wrote:

speed and don't pop off the top...........also go straight up and down the ramp............most people cant air worth shit because they waste their momentum carving up the ramp..........10 foots are fun

Thanks dude. That makes sense as i have been carving a lot.

|

bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

9/29/2013 1:46 PM

If your learning airs your better off carving or doing long airs rather than going straight up and down.

I used to go straight up and down and couldn't air for shit. I carve now and can air better, a couple of feet max but that's decent for me and on the mellow as fuck ramps I ride

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

9/29/2013 5:01 PM

Gump wrote:

If your learning airs your better off carving or doing long airs rather than going straight up and down.

I used to go straight up and down and couldn't air for shit. I carve now and can air better, a couple of feet max but that's decent for me and on the mellow as fuck ramps I ride

if you want to be able to air more then a couple feet don't listen to this guy...........if you want to blast the key is straight up and down with lots of speed

|