has anyone air travelled with the Bike?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/26/2014 6:20 PM

so i'm going from canada to hong kong in a few months for a family vacation, my parents said yes for the bmx to go with me, so if anyone has ever air traveled with a bmx, you got any tips.....decrease air pressure? how to pack? what bag? etc........cant wait to escape the snow and ride huge ass parks

|

11/26/2014 6:27 PM

i would let all the air out of your tires to prevent it from blowing the tube mid flight
no idea on the rest

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

11/26/2014 6:37 PM

I was just researching this stuff today lol. For the bag it seems like almost everyone uses the Dk Golf bag and says they're flying golf clubs since its cheaper than a bike.

|

Smoke Drink Die

11/26/2014 6:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/26/2014 6:40 PM

Colonydirt94 wrote:

I was just researching this stuff today lol. For the bag it seems like almost everyone uses the Dk Golf bag and says they're flying golf clubs since its cheaper than a bike.

but the golf bag = more expensive than the bike flying fee which is $75 round trip for me lol

|

11/26/2014 8:08 PM

Colonydirt94 wrote:

my_bike_is_rust wrote:

but the golf bag = more expensive than the bike flying fee which is $75 round trip for me lol

Just go to Wal-Mart, buy a pool floatie, duct tape the bike to it, and then paddle across the Specific Ocean to Hong Kong

|

11/26/2014 9:53 PM

The proper thing to do is go down to a bike shop and ask for a bike box. These are just cardboard boxes that bikes come in when you purchase them.

Then partially disassemble your bike, wrap it up and strap it together and tape the box shut.

Another thing you can do is get a hockey bag. BMX bikes fit in them really well and they usually aren't oversized. I've travelled a lot with this method and it's worked well. No one looks twice at a Canadian travelling with a hockey bag either.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

11/26/2014 10:09 PM

transition_chris wrote:

The proper thing to do is go down to a bike shop and ask for a bike box. These are just cardboard boxes that bikes come in when you purchase them.

Then partially disassemble your bike, wrap it up and strap it together and tape the box shut.

Another thing you can do is get a hockey bag. BMX bikes fit in them really well and they usually aren't oversized. I've travelled a lot with this method and it's worked well. No one looks twice at a Canadian travelling with a hockey bag either.

Do you declare a BMX as sporting equipment?

My friend told me not to as it is additional fees.

If it was a mountain bike or road bike, i would declare as sporting equipment.
But a bmx is closer to a toy. lol

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

11/27/2014 4:51 AM

transition_chris wrote:

one try kid wrote:

i try the hockey bag, thanks for the idea man, and hockey equipment flys free so im gonna say that first, but if they find out ill just pay$75

|

11/27/2014 5:07 AM

transition_chris wrote:

one try kid wrote:

my_bike_is_rust wrote:

i try the hockey bag, thanks for the idea man, and hockey equipment flys free so im gonna say that first, but if they find out ill just pay$75

Don't they still X-Ray scan everything?

|

11/27/2014 10:56 AM

Im looking at the Fox 180 bag thats 70 on dans. I was going.to.put my bike and clothes in it and use it as my check in bag. Bueno?

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/27/2014 2:37 PM

one try kid wrote:

my_bike_is_rust wrote:

GorillaKing37 wrote:

Don't they still X-Ray scan everything?

u check in, and its treated like a normal bag until before they load it on the plane so if the person on the counter doesnt find out....im good

|

11/27/2014 7:10 PM

Colonydirt94 wrote:

my_bike_is_rust wrote:

Oh I gotcha. I'm going to be traveling a lot in the near future so that's why I'm getting the golf bag. I assumed you were traveling a bit also. The extra fee really isn't that bad especially for one time use. I would just get a cheap hockey bag and maybe wrap your bike in bubble wrap if you're afraid of it getting scratched

|

Smoke Drink Die

11/28/2014 11:12 AM

This all depends on the airline. Some charge for a bike, others only charge you if it's overweight/oversized.

A bike box is gonna get hit either way.

Your best bet is gonna be the golf club bag, or some other large duffle. Also try to keep it light so they don't get you for being overweight.

|

11/28/2014 11:43 AM

found one....perfect fit.........bauer hockey bag

|

11/30/2014 3:34 PM

my_bike_is_rust wrote:

found one....perfect fit.........bauer hockey bag

Which one? Can you confirm your bike fits?

|

Smoke Drink Die

11/30/2014 6:24 PM

flew from NYC to Los Angeles twice this year, both with my bike. i have an ogio yeti golf bag. Never have I ever been questioned with it. I usually take the bars and stem off, pegs, pedals, let the air out the tires and i'm good to go. I throw in my animal tool and an air pump so i'm good to go as soon as i get to the destination. Hope this helps. if you dont wanna dish out $150 for a bike bag definitely scoop up a hockey bag and pad the shit out of your bike with clothes so it doesn't look sketchy

|

12/1/2014 9:01 AM

Colonydirt94 wrote:

my_bike_is_rust wrote:

GorillaKing37 wrote:

Just go to Wal-Mart, buy a pool floatie, duct tape the bike to it, and then paddle across the Specific Ocean to Hong Kong

this. this is exactly what id do.

also. I know some people wher eyou live

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "