headset proplem?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/12/2014 2:37 PM

I recently came into a problem where my bars and forks would shake when I push them forwards or back and thought my frame had cracked in one way (it did) so I pit a new bike together with new stuff exept the headset and wheels and shit so I am wondering is my headset fucked coz id want to spend money on a new headset I am new to bmx so idk whats wronge

|

12/12/2014 2:54 PM

Did you make sure to tighten the top bolt first, then the pinch bolts on the stem?

Go to your bike, loosen the stem's side bolts, then take the top bolt off and make sure the steerer tube is under the stem by at least a few mms like this, only maybe not as much. If it isn't like that, you need a spacer or 2 and that should fix your problem. If it is like in the pic though, then put the fork bolt back on and tighten that one FIRST, not too tight, just enough to remove the wobble. Then tighten the stem bolts, and you should be good to go.

Try that, and report back here

|

12/12/2014 3:18 PM

Its nice and flush and tight but it still shakes back and forward

|

12/12/2014 3:21 PM

Flush as in the top of the steerer tube is flush with the stem? Because it shouldn't be flush. It should be 3 or 4mm below the stem.

What kind of headset is it? Integrated or standard?

|

12/12/2014 3:37 PM

Sit on your bike with the front tire pushed against a wall. Now as you tighten the way Sunday said, rock back and forth at the same time so it tightens the lowest spot. I used to have a terrible death wobble and this method seems to work just fine for me

|

Smoke Drink Die

12/12/2014 6:27 PM

Newridertom wrote:

Its nice and flush and tight but it still shakes back and forward

I shouldn't be flush, you need spacers.

|

My FBM bike check

12/13/2014 1:24 AM

This what it looks like without the top cap
Photo

|

12/13/2014 1:25 AM

And idk what headset it is it came with my first bike what I bought of a friend

|

12/13/2014 1:31 AM

Throw a 3 or 5mm spacer under your stem. There's no room for to tighten the headset down if your steerer tube fits flush with the top of your stem.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

12/13/2014 1:53 AM

Is this better?Photo

|

12/13/2014 5:58 AM

Tighten it and see

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

12/13/2014 6:51 AM

It's better if you put a spacer in. If you just pulled the stem up, it's gonna wobble more.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/13/2014 3:42 PM

Its fixed thanks guys wink

|