help frames cracked is this bad

Related:
Create New Tag

4/8/2021 5:48 AM

Photo
Please tell me thisl last
|

4/8/2021 5:58 AM

if you take it to a welder and have them run a bead across the entire crack, maybe it'll last longer. but i would plan on buying a new frame soon.

|

It’s all bmx

4/8/2021 6:01 AM

dang. yeah, you need a new frame man. interesting spot to break not on the weld.

|

4/8/2021 6:07 AM

New frame time, it’s done.

|

4/8/2021 7:24 AM

RIP

|

4/8/2021 8:07 AM

i would not ride that...but i also value my teeth more than when i was a teenager when i probably would have just pushed it until it was totally in pieces

|

4/8/2021 8:15 AM

That aint a little crack. That’s a fuck your life up crack.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

4/8/2021 8:23 AM

New frame time buddy

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

4/8/2021 9:03 AM

Anyone else just amazed at where the crack is and how straight/clean it is?

Personally, unless I was really stuck for money, I'd replace it straight away. If I had no other option, I'd drill a small hole either end of the crack and weld it. Might get you by for a short while.

Have you an old frame or a mate who has an old frame you could borrow?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/8/2021 9:12 AM

A few things..

1) That's the craziest place I've ever seen a crack on a frame. One would think a different area would have to be bent to hell for that area to get a crack.

2) That crack appears to be kinda old, you've probably been riding it that way for a while now.

3) Crack kills

|

4/8/2021 9:22 AM

That looks like an "I under/over rotated a spin or botched a whip attempt too many times" crack.

You could drill a small hole on either end, then weld it up and get a little more life out of it, but it is new frame time ASAP.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/8/2021 10:04 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

That looks like an "I under/over rotated a spin or botched a whip attempt too many times" crack.

You could drill a small hole on either end, then weld it up and get a little more life out of it, but it is new frame time ASAP.

Shit man, got my eye on the new subrosa OM frame, any good?

|

4/8/2021 12:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/8/2021 12:13 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Oli Marshall wrote:

Your initials are OM so I’d say it’s a no brainer you gotta go for it

|

4/8/2021 12:27 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Oli Marshall wrote:

cky199 wrote:

Your initials are OM so I’d say it’s a no brainer you gotta go for it

That's deep man......it's a sign.

|

4/8/2021 4:12 PM

The crack being so centered between those weld points leads me to believe it was never post weld heat treated and the chromoly got brittle with martensite.

|

4/8/2021 4:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/8/2021 4:25 PM

oldstreetthrasher wrote:

The crack being so centered between those weld points leads me to believe it was never post weld heat treated and the chromoly got brittle with martensite.

Pretty sure most frames aren't post-weld heat-treated...

At its furthest point from both welds, it is quite a distance away. The sheer amount of heat input required to make it brittle that far away from the welds would surely blow out the wall of the tube.

Kinda looks like a tube defect, with how straight and clean the crack is. The odds of a tube defect lining up so exactly with a weld are tiny but it could happen.

Either way, I've never seen a frame break like that.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/8/2021 5:31 PM

What kind of frame is that and what kind of frame do you want? We people here on vital could give you some frame recommendations if we knew what type of riding you do and what kind of frame/colors you would want

|

4/8/2021 5:56 PM

wow thats bad. build a new one.

|

4/8/2021 6:13 PM

yer fucked bud

|

4/9/2021 7:23 AM

What frame is that?

|

4/9/2021 7:38 AM

New frame for sure, even with that welded I wouldn't trust it

|

4/9/2021 7:46 AM

Sean_Goff wrote:

What frame is that?

Kink gap, bought it last year

|

4/9/2021 7:48 AM

Oli Marshall wrote: Photo
Please tell me thisl last

Don’t worry lads got me a new frame, am still riding that one it hasn’t given on me yet

|

4/9/2021 3:09 PM

Definitely looks like a defect. I've also never seen this before. Glad you're getting a new frame. I would definitely send that picture to kink so they are aware of the defect.

|

4/10/2021 11:56 AM

Oli Marshall wrote:

Don’t worry lads got me a new frame, am still riding that one it hasn’t given on me yet

What frame did you get

|

smile