help plezzzzzzz

Related:
Create New Tag

3/3/2007 7:32 PM

hey guys my buddy have a spanish bottom bracket ok how do u remove the bearings bc there is no way to tap the bearings out or anything how do u get them out help would be great thank u

|

3/3/2007 10:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 3:51 PM

Ahh, yes. The bearing removal. Always a treat.

Anyway, you pretty much bang the sh*t out of them with... whatever... and a hammer. Something softer than the bearing metal would be ideal - if you're trying to salvage the bearings. Bearings are pretty cheap these days(about $5), so don't be shy about destroying them. Seriously. I keep spare bearings around just as I do tubes and suchlike.

There are bearing removal tools. I don't care for them; they're not cost-effective. Bearings, to me, are expendable, but I run them as long as possible.

Make no mistake; they can be a pain in the ass to remove. The last time I removed my bearings, I hammered on them so hard (with a 3/8" ratchet extension!) that I destroyed the dust shield on one of them. The bearing still 'worked', so I put it back in on my [then] new frame, throwing my expendable bearing tenet to the wind.

There are some tricks. You can VERY CAREFULLY heat the bottom bracket shell with a propane torch. This will cause the metal to expand, thus making it easier to remove the bearings. This can be done without damaging the paint/clear coat on the frame. I, frankly, don't give a sh*t about the paint, so I heat my bottom bracket shell as I see fit.

Post edited by: GMGuinn, at: 3/4/2007 6:13 AM

|

3/4/2007 7:30 AM

GMGuinn wrote:

Ahh, yes. The bearing removal. Always a treat.

Anyway, you pretty much bang the sh*t out of them with... whatever... and a hammer. Something softer than the bearing metal would be ideal - if you're trying to salvage the bearings. Bearings are pretty cheap these days(about $5), so don't be shy about destroying them. Seriously. I keep spare bearings around just as I do tubes and suchlike.

There are bearing removal tools. I don't care for them; they're not cost-effective. Bearings, to me, are expendable, but I run them as long as possible.

Make no mistake; they can be a pain in the ass to remove. The last time I removed my bearings, I hammered on them so hard (with a 3/8" ratchet extension!) that I destroyed the dust shield on one of them. The bearing still 'worked', so I put it back in on my [then] new frame, throwing my expendable bearing tenet to the wind.

There are some tricks. You can VERY CAREFULLY heat the bottom bracket shell with a propane torch. This will cause the metal to expand, thus making it easier to remove the bearings. This can be done without damaging the paint/clear coat on the frame. I, frankly, don't give a sh*t about the paint, so I heat my bottom bracket shell as I see fit.

Post edited by: GMGuinn, at: 3/4/2007 6:13 AM

an old axle from a wheel works well for me on bearing removal f a spanish bottom bracket. it worked for when i had to take the bearing out when i painted my frame. and it didnt ruin the bearings at all for me. use the axle with the rounded ends thats what i used. use a 14mm axle

Post edited by: joe rides bicycles, at: 3/4/2007 3:30 PM

|

12/17/2012 6:09 PM

i hope you know you have the first topic

|

12/17/2012 6:15 PM

FITbikeco229 wrote:

i hope you know you have the first topic

Fuck you faggot. get out.

|