help with brakes

Related:
Create New Tag

5/14/2013 10:35 AM

So i just got some springfield brakes and upon attempting to install them, i realized i cant get my cable thru the guide because its not a split guide. after contemplating dinosaurs and my existence and also the brakes, i thought maybe i needed to cut the brakes at one end so that i could feed them thru the guide and then i could just put the included custom knarp thing on the end. i wanted some advice before i went ahead and did this. am i missing something or are there other solutions?

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

5/14/2013 10:40 AM

is the cable frayed?

|

Bruh

5/14/2013 10:43 AM

Zach P-D wrote:

is the cable frayed?

not at all, the factory knarp is still on the end. it wont feed thru the cable guide on the top tube because the knarp is too big

|

Instagram
bike check

5/14/2013 10:45 AM

Zach P-D wrote:

is the cable frayed?

ticaleb wrote:

not at all, the factory knarp is still on the end. it wont feed thru the cable guide on the top tube because the knarp is too big

I think when I put my brakes on I cut that part off to feed it thru then I just taped up the end after

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

5/14/2013 10:47 AM

i didn't have that bit on my cable haha

|

Bruh

5/14/2013 10:53 AM

the piece that is circled [LINK TO IMAGE]

will not go thru this part

Photo

if that makes my predicament clearer
|

Instagram
bike check

5/14/2013 10:56 AM

never see those on a cable haha, although this is what i have http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=71466

|

Bruh

5/14/2013 10:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/14/2013 11:02 AM

I think thats for a gyro, atleast that what it said when I got my slic cable so I just cut it of and used the other end

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

5/14/2013 10:59 AM

mine does look exactly like that ball thing. its more like a cylinder. either way neither side fits thru the guide

|

Instagram
bike check

5/14/2013 11:09 AM

I just took a dremel and put a slit in the guide

|

5/14/2013 11:09 AM

nooooooo life over... lol, should be fine to cut it. Just check teh googles first though

|

Bruh

5/14/2013 11:34 AM

Fad3r wrote:

I just took a dremel and put a slit in the guide

I'd thought about doing that. I think I will. That'll make changing cables easier next time. Thanks

|

Instagram
bike check

5/14/2013 12:14 PM

I had one with the ball on one end, and the barrel looking one that goes in the handle. Like a dumbass, I cut the wrong one off because I wasn't paying attention.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

5/14/2013 4:11 PM

ticaleb wrote: the piece that is circled [LINK TO IMAGE]

Photo

youre suposed to cut off the piece you circled

|

crystal meth

5/14/2013 5:53 PM

Yep. cut the small ball end off.

Your cable is going to be too long so you may need to cut the housing and cable.

MEASURE TWICE, cut once.

Do not cut the housing the same length as the inner cable. smile

I've run brakes for years. Ask if you're unsure.

|

5/14/2013 5:57 PM

Cut the cable guide.

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

5/14/2013 5:59 PM

pnj wrote:

Yep. cut the small ball end off.

Your cable is going to be too long so you may need to cut the housing and cable.

MEASURE TWICE, cut once.

Do not cut the housing the same length as the inner cable. smile

I've run brakes for years. Ask if you're unsure.

Thanks. I actually just got it. Luckily I didn't have to cut the housing. They're probably not tuned to an experts liking but I tested them and they work just fine. Thanks people.

|

Instagram
bike check

5/14/2013 6:37 PM

ticaleb wrote: the piece that is circled [LINK TO IMAGE]

Photo

im to lazy to finish reading the other responses but just cut the small sphere off and put it though make sure the bigger cylinder is still on the other end for your lever.

|

BIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKES

5/14/2013 7:12 PM

Brakes don't work. Plzdntfailmeagn and the illuminati have conjoined to disban them from existence. And plzdntfailmeagn once used a pad for 6 years then didn't understand why it wore down and tried to warranty it.

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

5/14/2013 7:14 PM

future FBM wrote:

Brakes don't work. Plzdntfailmeagn and the illuminati have conjoined to disban them from existence. And plzdntfailmeagn once used a pad for 6 years then didn't understand why it wore down and tried to warranty it.

This.

|

5/14/2013 7:15 PM

future FBM wrote:

Lol

|

Instagram
bike check

5/14/2013 9:27 PM

Use your feet bro.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/14/2013 9:38 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Use your feet bro.

I'd rather wear thru pads than shoes

|

Instagram
bike check

5/14/2013 9:46 PM

I tried the ghost pads for a little bit, but they fade like crazy under heavy use, at least for adult sized people. Just a heads up. I think ghost pads come with those brakes, anyway.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

5/14/2013 9:53 PM

Chuck8273 wrote:

I tried the ghost pads for a little bit, but they fade like crazy under heavy use, at least for adult sized people. Just a heads up. I think ghost pads come with those brakes, anyway.

Good to know. I'm brand new to this brake stuff

|

Instagram
bike check

5/14/2013 10:06 PM

I am an adult and I run ghost pads on two bikes. I've no problems with them. and I ride one bike in a lot of dusty dirt.

|

5/14/2013 10:22 PM

Well It may be because I'm used to the slim x4's. greater surface area= greater stopping force.

|

5/14/2013 10:31 PM

compound of the pads comes into play as well. I think the ghost pads are softer so they grip better. But everyone sets stuff up differently and I only weigh 150 so that may play into it as well.

|

5/14/2013 10:39 PM

pnj wrote:

compound of the pads comes into play as well. I think the ghost pads are softer so they grip better. But everyone sets stuff up differently and I only weigh 150 so that may play into it as well.

Haha, yeah, I outweigh you by 95 lbs or so. The Ghost pads gripped well, until we would be riding down longer hills that required us to stop at the bottom, and they heated up and just stopped gripping. I may have just burned a glaze on them so they lost grip also. I wouldn't care as much, but my 3 & 5 year old kids like to ride in front of me at random times, so I gotta stop immediately.

|